Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rent a room with a desk

Options
  • 09-03-2018 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm looking for a room to rent, and while there are some decent rooms available there is never a desk in the room. I just think this is strange. Doesn't everyone own a computer nowadays? Most of the rooms in my price range that do have desks are always looking for male housemates. I'm female and looking for female housemates. But there are rarely any rooms for rent that contain a desk, and I would have to bring my own table and chair with me when I move.

Does anyone else think this is weird? Its taking me such a long time to find a suitable room because of this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Are you taking the piss?

You rent a room, if it doesn't have a desk you can buy your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pearl787

Pelvis wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss?

You rent a room, if it doesn't have a desk you can buy your own.

No. Yeah I could buy my own but it would have to fit the space. It is also a bit of a hassle. I guess I will end up doing this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Who uses a desk for their laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

pearl787 wrote: »
    No. Yeah I could buy my own but it would have to fit the space. It is also a bit of a hassle. I guess I will end up doing this though.

Honestly? It'd only be marginally more hassle than starting this thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

We used to use desks when we had the big old tower, nowadays with laptops ... bed is king

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

rosmoke wrote: »
    We used to use desks when we had the big old tower, nowadays with laptops ... bed is king

Not if you’re doing work on it. Also there’s pretty much no laptop that it’s safe to use on a bed, they need to be on a hard flat surface for proper cooling. Every laptop manual says to only use it on a hard flat surface and doing otherwise will shorten its life. Using a laptop on a bed is like driving a car at 6000rpm all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

You must be joking, my cooler sits at 2000rpm most of the time (max is 6200), macs have a really good cooling system.
    But yeah, not everyone is the same, some prefer mobility, others a desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

GarIT wrote: »
    Not if you’re doing work on it. Also there’s pretty much no laptop that it’s safe to use on a bed, they need to be on a hard flat surface for proper cooling. Every laptop manual says to only use it on a hard flat surface and doing otherwise will shorten its life. Using a laptop on a bed is like driving a car at 6000rpm all the time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006ZXX5GM/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1520553189&sr=8-17&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cushioned+laptop+tray

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No. Yeah I could buy my own but it would have to fit the space. It is also a bit of a hassle.

And that's the reason why they aren't in many bedrooms, they take up too much room for the average bedroom.

Could you use something like this?

https://www.beechfieldhealthcare.ie/over-bed-chair-table-four-castor-model.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA24PVBRBvEiwAyBxf-dIQkcbSQSoSTX2f1u24ojtXS7tFOiJnR59lso62ON4l7ZKdqlbdWhoCSrUQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Offices have desks for a reason. Extended use of a laptop on your lap leads to musculoskeletal problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Desks for work for sure. OP, just get a flatpack desk? Easy to assemble and you can sell it on adverts when moving on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I'm looking for a room to rent, and while there are some decent rooms available there is never a desk in the room. I just think this is strange. Doesn't everyone own a computer nowadays? Most of the rooms in my price range that do have desks are always looking for male housemates. I'm female and looking for female housemates. But there are rarely any rooms for rent that contain a desk, and I would have to bring my own table and chair with me when I move.

Does anyone else think this is weird? Its taking me such a long time to find a suitable room because of this.

I also use PC with 3 monitor setup so lots of space required.
    Whenever I am looking for room - I just look for big enough room to fit in my desk.
    It's a 2.5 metre long desk that I just bring with me if I move.
    They are like 50 euro in IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

When our female lodger moved in we had to put her desk in the attic as we had one already. #justsayin' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Ikea have a few nice tables that drop down to practically nothing. But yea, Realistically just ensure the room can take a desk and buy your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Landlords lads.....greed that's all it is! no desk's in the rooms! think of the tenants rights here! outrage i say!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dashoonage wrote: »
    Landlords lads.....greed that's all it is! no desk's in the rooms! think of the tenants rights here! outrage i say!

If you're letting a furnished room and targeting either students or professional workers, then IMHO a basic desk and chair should be as much part of the fit out as a bed.

Unless the dynamic of the household is such that it's ok for them to sit for hours in the evening at the kitchen table in relative quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

endacl wrote: »
    Honestly? It'd only be marginally more hassle than starting this thread...

and spending weeks and weeks looking for a "suitable" room also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I was letting a room in an apartment years ago and had a lad turn the room down because there wasn't a desk in it. It was being sublet and he thought I should buy it for him !! I laughed and offered it to the next person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 pearl787

I don't expect the rooms to have desks, obviously most don't and I always view the room with the intention of fitting my own desk/chair. Its the fact that whenever I view a room and ask the landlord if its ok if I put a desk in the room they always act like they think I'm being awkward. Like why am I looking at the room if I need one with a desk? It seems to me like wanting a desk in a room is odd to other people, whereas to me it would be as essential as having the bed or wardrobe in the room. Anyway thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I don't expect the rooms to have desks, obviously most don't and I always view the room with the intention of fitting my own desk/chair. Its the fact that whenever I view a room and ask the landlord if its ok if I put a desk in the room they always act like they think I'm being awkward. Like why am I looking at the room if I need one with a desk? It seems to me like wanting a desk in a room is odd to other people, whereas to me it would be as essential as having the bed or wardrobe in the room. Anyway thanks for the replies.

Stop asking the question, if you're renting a room you can put whatever furniture you like in it so long as you take it with you when you leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

The reason desks aren't included in bedrooms (apart from maybe one's aimed at students) is because the LL will have to find somewhere to store it when the tenant says "i dont want that desk in the room"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Its the fact that whenever I view a room and ask the landlord if its ok if I put a desk in the room they always act like they think I'm being awkward.
    It a desk. Not a pet. It's not something you need to ask the landlord about...

Advertisement