Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket switch stuck on and fuse tripping

Options
  • 09-03-2018 1:53am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Have had a night of a fuse tripping. Managed to find the cause, a double walk socket that is faulty. One of the sockets switch is stuck in 'on' position. The fuse won't go back on for this area of the house. (Other fuses and areas are fine)

Does the socket just need to be replaced or should I get an electrician out?

Can a socket replacement be done easily by a non electrician?

Appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

You need an Electrician. The switch not operating won't be the cause of this, although there may be a fault with the socket outlet. Equally it could be an appliance or the circuit wiring or another outlet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Sounds like you have a short in that socket, is it possible that the actual switch is stuck due to heat, melting etc.. If you have basic diy and you need that area to be functioning!? Then I would(with all electricity of)unscrew that socket and give it a good eyeball.... If there is melting, then it will be obvious.. Then you can separate the 'shorting' wires, and fix it or secure it until you get an electrician..

Ps: I'm not an electrician and that's just what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Harryhumanity

Anyone can swap like for like, no electrician required, so long as you consider yourself competent...in your own house only.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Harryhumanity

Sounds like you have a short in that socket, is it possible that the actual switch is stuck due to heat, melting etc.. If you have basic diy and you need that area to be functioning!? Then I would(with all electricity of)unscrew that socket and give it a good eyeball.... If there is melting, then it will be obvious.. Then you can separate the 'shorting' wires, and fix it or secure it until you get an electrician..

Ps: I'm not an electrician and that's just what I would do.

Don't f##k about, just replace it. With a CE marked one....no cheap stuff, your life might depend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I'm not a electrician but I would be confident changing a socket myself same as a plug really. Just make sure the mains is off, take a picture of the wiring for reference and make sure to wire everything back up correct going by the reference. it will blow the fuse again if wired back up wrong. If you are not confident doing it call an electrician, save a few quid doing yourself though. YouTube has loads of tutorials on changing wall sockets. If it still trips after changing to a new one then its not the socket and would probably require a qualified sparks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Anyone can swap like for like, no electrician required, so long as you consider yourself competent...in your own house only.

Correct, legally you are permitted to do this.
    This isn’t rocket science, but if you have any doubts you should get a qualified electrician. Buy a quality replacement socket such as MK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks for feedback folks. If you don’t hear from me today you know I’ve blown myself up!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

faceman wrote: »
    Thanks for feedback folks. If you don’t from me today you know I’ve blown myself up!

Good luck!

A few tips:
    1) Look for heat / burn damage to cables
    2) Ensure all connections are tight
    3) Sleeve the earth cables properly
    4) Ensure that the conductors are undamaged (not nicked)
    5) Ensure that the cable insulation goes right up to the terminals (but not into the terminals)
    6) Make sure the power is off! If in doubt turn off the main switch fuse.
    7) Don't trust "phase testers"

If in doubt get a sparkie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

2011 wrote: »
    Good luck!

A few tips:
    1) Look for heat / burn damage to cables
    2) Ensure all connections are tight
    3) Sleeve the earth cables properly
    4) Ensure that the conductors are undamaged (not nicked)
    5) Ensure that the cable insulation goes right up to the terminals (but not into the terminals)
    6) Make sure the power is off! If in doubt turn off the main switch fuse.
    7) Don't trust "phase testers"

If in doubt get a sparkie

Yeah I actually called a Sparkie. While it may seem a minor task, I’ve never wired a plug let alone a socket. Not taking any chances. Plus it could be more than just a faulty socket and I don’t want to be without power over the weekend should the work need a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

it will blow the fuse again if wired back up wrong.
    That simply isn't true.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    That simply isn't true.

Agree 100%

This illustrates why using a qualified electrician (or better still a REC) to do electrical work even when it is not legally required is often the best course of action.

A wise choice calling a sparks. Turns out there had been some shoddy workmanship in the existing wiring when the house was being renovated before I moved in. Don’t understand the full extent but the sparks said things like old single sockets were extended to double sockets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

faceman wrote: »
    A wise choice calling a sparks. Turns out there had been some shoddy workmanship in the existing wiring when the house was being renovated before I moved in. Don’t understand the full extent but the sparks said things like old single sockets were extended to double sockets etc

Good call then.
    I can just picture it loops and everything.
    Wires become loose and with thousands of 'movements' over the years eventually work themselves free, causing all sorts of devilment :(

Wires become loose and with thousands of 'movements' over the years eventually work themselves free, causing all sorts of devilment :(

Funny thing is you don't need a REC to work on a boat or ELV and this happens a hellova lot faster.

Even then I make a good bit on nixers fixing sparks' work on mobile installations.

Not saying this to incite anyone...just an observation..

Advertisement