Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Advice - QNAP/Synology/WD

Options
  • 09-03-2018 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Hey,

am about purchase my first Nas and am looking for some advice. Budget is around the €200-€300 for a disk less Nas.

My needs-

Storing media - I have android boxes/ PS4 / Smart TVs and an Xbox One that I will be streaming to. So I dont need to be really thinking about transcoding do I?

Security Cameras - I plan on hooking up some wifi security cameras. I believe QNAP dont charge per camera, unlike synology?

Backup - most of my stuff I will have backed up to other hard drives and the really important online so RAIDs etc are not really a must at the moment but that could change!

I cant really see myself using mail servers and a lot of the other apps that come with certain brands.

Another dilemma is should I go for a newer Synology DS218Play or the older QNAP 251 (2014) in which I can upgrade the ram to 8gb. But the DS218 is stuck with 1gb?

Any help really appreciated before my head explodes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

This is just my experience but I looked around for a solution to run a Plex Server to stream media and as a nas backup. I settled on a WD pr2100 two disk system. The main reason for this choice was that it supports Plex transcoding.

It's happily running and will serve up at least 4 simultaneous streams which does me just fine. The firmware seems to get regular updates and Plex updates quite often. It runs cool and quiet too.

As a bonus it runs a torrent client very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

branners69 wrote: »
    Storing media - I have android boxes/ PS4 / Smart TVs and an Xbox One that I will be streaming to. So I dont need to be really thinking about transcoding do I?

TVs rarely get codec updates, transcoding is very useful for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Keep a watch out for server offers on end of life products. Some great deals to be had at times.
    I got, a few years ago now, a HP Proliant ML310e Gen8 for silly money including a refund from HP.
    A four disk server with one 1 TB drive in place.

If such offers are available they might be worth considering.

Advertisement