Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac book battery issue

Options
  • 09-03-2018 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

My sons Mac Book is about 14 months old. When he plugs it in it says battery charged 100% but when he plugs is out the battery is empty. Help needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How long does the Macbook last running on the battery when it gets plugged out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Might need to either calibrate the battery or reset the smc. Heres a guide. Very easy.

https://www.guidingtech.com/44702/fix-mac-batter-percentage/

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

coylemj wrote: »
    How long does the Macbook last running on the battery when it gets plugged out?

It just turns off. Like the battery is not charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Hoboo wrote: »
    Might need to either calibrate the battery or reset the smc. Heres a guide. Very easy.

https://www.guidingtech.com/44702/fix-mac-batter-percentage/

Thanks but once the cable is plugged out the mac turns off. No chance to let it drain and follow the process in the link.

paska wrote: »
    Thanks but once the cable is plugged out the mac turns off. No chance to let it drain and follow the process in the link.

Sounds like it's completely shagged. This piece on the Apple website may be relevant...

Under Irish consumer law, any defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract which becomes apparent within 6 months of delivery are presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. After the expiry of this 6 month period, the burden to prove that the defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract existed on delivery generally shifts to the consumer.

https://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

Which suggests that as the battery performed for 6 months, it's now up to you to prove that it was defective when it left the factory rather than that it failed because it was abused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

If its the Magsafe type charger, then it could be the charger, the cable is notoriously delicate. There are two ways of connecting the charger connection to the MacBook, with the cable facing away from you or facing towards you. Try connecting the cable to the MacBook the other way about. I have a damaged Magsafe charger that will power the MacBook in either orientation but will only charge it in one of them, in the other, I have symptoms that the OP describes.

mgadget wrote: »
    If its the Magsafe type charger, then it could be the charger, the cable is notoriously delicate. There are two ways of connecting the charger connection to the MacBook, with the cable facing away from you or facing towards you. Try connecting the cable to the MacBook the other way about. I have a damaged Magsafe charger that will power the MacBook in either orientation but will only charge it in one of them, in the other, I have symptoms that the OP describes.

OP is not talking about a failure to charge, the macbook says the battery is at 100% but it (the battery) can't run the machine for even a few seconds. It doesn't sound like an issue with the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Sounds like the battery alright. Off to the Genius Bar.

Advertisement