Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block Rename of Shared Folder

Options
  • 09-03-2018 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if posting in the wrong forum.

In work, our team use a shared drive for storing various documents (using Windows). We have a number of macros that are run daily which push files to specific paths. However, if someone were to change the name of a folder, it causes the macro to fail.

For example, macro to send files created in March is directed to a folder named "Mar". But someone on the team goes in and not realising there will be an impact renames this folder "March"

I was wondering if its possible to lock a folder name/block someone from changing the name of the folder, whilst still being able to access the folder & files stored in it without restriction?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Change the permissions on the parent folder of the Mar folder to readonly

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try this

From Windows Explorer, right-click the folder entry and choose Properties > Security > Advanced, and give your users permissions to create files/folders, add data, etc., but not to delete or write attributes, etc.

You probably won't want to make those permissions inheritable, i.e., choose Apply to This Folder Only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

biko wrote: »
    Try this

From Windows Explorer, right-click the folder entry and choose Properties > Security > Advanced, and give your users permissions to create files/folders, add data, etc., but not to delete or write attributes, etc.

You probably won't want to make those permissions inheritable, i.e., choose Apply to This Folder Only.

Can this also be done with Google Drive?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't think so but haven't tried there, let us know

Advertisement