Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt collector calling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Hi OP, before you call the number and engage with these people give these guys a ring and see what they think. It might be in your best interests not to engage with them at all.

Is the number he left a land-line? Did you Google it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

One more thing. Before you even admit who you are to a cold caller at your door insist that they produce photo ID and allow you to photograph it. They could be anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

OP, have a read if this thread to get some more background info before you do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the only ones who have any real power at your door debt recovery wise are sheriffs

any hint of a threat off that bullying sham if he arrives again call the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Squiggle wrote: »
    If banks had behaved responsibly during the celtic tiger we wouldn't have a mess. Instead they gave out 100% mortgages, loans of seven times income, gave 5 year fixed rates to make sure borrowers would pass stress tests etc. The endless reckless lending came with the blessing of the Central Bank, the Regulator and the Government. When reality hits home they all want Johnny and Mary to carry the can for what went on iwth the "free money". And of course we pandered disgracefully to the ECB to make sure the Anglo bond holders got their money. Imagine a risk free corporate bond - you couldn't make it up !!!

I got a mortgage at the height of the boom. Was approved for a huge amount but I knew what I could afford and had money saved, so while I over paid for the property I didn't over extend myself. No banker tried to force me to a 100%, or 120% some people took out, and I didn't borrow from the credit union for the deposit.

Just because a product or service is offered it doesn't mean that it's the companies fault that it wasn't suitable for someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

L1011 wrote: »
    You don't need to talk to anyone at the door about it; and although a head in the sand approach isn't the best way to deal with anything - a debt of that age that hasn't been acknowledged for that period is not enforceable in court unless you acknowledge it again.

Is that not a massive contradiction? Don't bury your head in the sand as its not the way to deal with debt, but if you do bury your head in the sand for long enough it goes away. No wonder this country is fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

neenah wrote:
    I know it had to be dealt but sending a big burly man to a woman's door isint the answer.

What does burly look like?
    lawred2 wrote:
    The only person authorized to come to your door is a court appointed sheriff.

Or the guys trying to get you switch to Airtricity maybe?
    neenah wrote:
    He didn't say who had sent him and wouldn't discuss anything with my partner

To state the obvious, it's a serious breach to discuss personal information with another without authorization.
    any hint of a threat off that bullying sham if he arrives again call the gardai

Burly and now bullying. Next the guy will be accused of trying to install a water meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Del2005 wrote: »
    I got a mortgage at the height of the boom. Was approved for a huge amount but I knew what I could afford and had money saved, so while I over paid for the property I didn't over extend myself. No banker tried to force me to a 100%, or 120% some people took out, and I didn't borrow from the credit union for the deposit.

Just because a product or service is offered it doesn't mean that it's the companies fault that it wasn't suitable for someone.

Moved in 2007. We're offered a mortgage of 600k...we only needed less than 30%of that !
    Needless to say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If banks had behaved responsibly during the celtic tiger we wouldn't have a mess. Instead they gave out 100% mortgages, loans of seven times income, gave 5 year fixed rates to make sure borrowers would pass stress tests etc. The endless reckless lending came with the blessing of the Central Bank, the Regulator and the Government. When reality hits home they all want Johnny and Mary to carry the can for what went on iwth the "free money". And of course we pandered disgracefully to the ECB to make sure the Anglo bond holders got their money. Imagine a risk free corporate bond - you couldn't make it up !!!

Bullsh1t.if you borrow money you should pay it back as agreed in the loan terms.there is no such thing as free money.time to face up to your past and pay your way like a responsible mature adult.
    Anything else is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Or the guys trying to get you switch to Airtricity maybe?

maybe

highly unlikely though as the person calling refused to speak to her partner

not a very good salesman if that were the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Maybe you should contact www.mabs.ie

Similarly, I started getting calls recently about an electricity bill from my last rental property. I haven't lived there for over 6 months. I've completely refused to pay it. Told them to get onto the current tenants. I still get calls from there as they don't give a fcuk who the bill was originally for. I assume the debt has been sold on. I have the number saved and just don't answer at all. Is that bad? I sometimes wonder if this will affect my credit rating. If they take me to court, I'm willing to dispute it. It's only for around 150 so I doubt its worth their while bothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Too much time has passed, law is on your side. 6 years is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

When we were getting our mortgage through a broker in 2007 I had an argument with her at the time. We applied to various institutions through the broker and they all came back with their offers, some offered us a 100% mortgage but we had our deposit saved and I wanted a 92% mortgage. I remember her shouting down the phone at me - "Stephen, you're turning down free money if you don't take this 100% mortgage. Just take your deposit and use it to redo the house you're buying or get a car or something!" even though the house was grand as it was. God only knows how many people she talked into the 100% mortgage at the time.

OP

You don't know who called to the door, or why. Find out, then you can deal with it.

A lot of posters are assuming with you the debt collector and running with it.

It could be anything. Did you send in a scratch card with three stars?

Too much time has passed, law is on your side. 6 years is up.

If the law is on your side for borrowing money and not paying it back and then saying sure it’s grand if you haven’t paid anything back for 6 years then the law and the moral ethics of this country is a load of boll1x

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

neenah wrote: »
    He didn't introduce himself as a debt collector
    So you don't know if he's a debt collector.
    I know I have a debt owing for a loan I took out 10 years ago.
    And for the past ten years you feared this day would come.
    I presume
    Casey Ryback once said "Assumption is the mother of all fcuk-ups"... :pac:
    Does anyone know if I have any rights when it comes to dealing with these people
    What people? You don't even know who it is yet?
    I'm terrified he will call again
    He left no details apart from a phone number to contact him on.
    Then ring the number and see what you've won.

the_syco wrote: »

Then ring the number and see what you've won.

Yes - definitely. But with a blocked number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I disagree. Had banks stuck to giving out mortgages based on historical parameters of 2.5 times main income plus 1 times second income, and LTV of 80%, we would never have ended in such a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Bullsh1t.if you borrow money you should pay it back as agreed in the loan terms.there is no such thing as free money.time to face up to your past and pay your way like a responsible mature adult.

Be responsible and mature like the banks behaved with their lending?

Circumstances change for people such as reduced income, illness or unemployment and they end up being unable to repay borrowings. This is reality and when the penny finally dropped with the government they introduced ISI and finally changed or draconian bankruptcy laws so that we now have a one year discharge period. We need to move on.

• Advertisement

Circumstances change for people such as reduced income, illness or unemployment and they end up being unable to repay borrowings. This is reality and when the penny finally dropped with the government they introduced ISI and finally changed or draconian bankruptcy laws so that we now have a one year discharge period. We need to move on.

At the end of the day it’s you and me that sign our names on loan or mortgage agreement statements so man or woman up and pay back what you borrow.and I include myself in that. If you agree to borrow from someone you pay it back with interest.thats how the business works.
    Country needs to man up.blaming banks.ffs. If they were refusing loans and mortgages lads would be saying “ah sure the country is booming. I just bought a new Jeep and have 2 properties in Bulgaria I bought off the plans.havent even seen them boss”
    Man up lads and be responsible for your own actions and stand by the decisions ye make.

I didn't realise making repayments was such a tough guy thing to do... Seems that there's no end of manning up necessary

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

While I would agree with paying your debts at all times, using German banks as a paragon of virtue is beyond ridiculous. The very same German banks who's international divisions went handing out money to banks in Ireland like sweets? Some very short, selective memory at work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I disagree. Had banks stuck to giving out mortgages based on historical parameters of 2.5 times main income plus 1 times second income, and LTV of 80%, we would never have ended in such a mess.

People need to stop blaming banks and take some personal responsibility.

If you borrow money you need to pay it back. That how life works.

Pay your debts and the Scary burly man won’t call to your door.

Loads of people faked p60 s and wage slips etc to get a loan.

I know many who did.

Don’t understand the sympathy for the OP in this thread at all.

The burly man comment is sexist.

Who do you think is going to collect the money, the Vicar?

Getting very fed up of the entitlement culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I saw people working OT for 6 months, to "prove" their higher earnings to the bank, to get a higher mortgage, even though realistically they knew that they couldn't afford it!
    anewme wrote: »
    The burly man comment is sexist.
    It's actually the funniest thing in the thread, followed closely by the part where she says she nearly forgot about the debt 10 years ago, until some random guy who didn't ID himself called to her door!
    I know I have a debt owing for a loan I took out 10 years ago. I had received a few letters from the bank I owed it to and one from a debt collection agency in Dublin but this was years ago and to be honest I had almost forgotten about the loan til last night. I presume that's what the debt collector called for as there is nothing else owing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

It's inconceivable that anyone "forgets" a bank loan, the most important implication of defaulting on it is that it wrecks your credit rating.

Describing the person who knocked on the door as "burly" implies menace, whoever it was quite rightly for data protection reasons would not discuss the reason for the call with a third party. I'm not sure why the op assumes it was a debt collector considering no details were given.

Op should contact mabs or CA to inform him/herself of what rights he/she has and what potential risks lie ahead. This could just have been a call to confirm location and more proceedings may follow. Banks rarely "forget" who owes them money, the op posted that there has been communication so unless he/she is certain of the timeframe, it may not be statute barred.

Op, if this is to do with that bank loan, this is unlikely to be the last you hear of it so it's time to seek advice, quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The Op did not forget their bank loan . They had another post from 2015 asking how they could apply for PCP for new car with a bad credit record.

This is not on. Living within your means is your own responsibility.

If they can afford PCP for a new car, they can afford to pay their debts.

If they can’t afford to pay the PCP, guess what, up pops the burly man and asks for the car keys back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

anewme wrote:
    This is not on. Living within your means is your own responsibility.

anewme wrote:
    The Op did not forget their bank loan . They had another post from 2015 asking how they could apply for PCP for new car with a bad credit record.

anewme wrote:
    If they can afford PCP for a new car, they can afford to pay their debts.

anewme wrote:
    If they can’t afford to pay the PCP, guess what, up pops the burly man and asks for the car keys back.

For God's sake it's very simple OP! Act like a responsible adult. If you borrowed money pay it back!
    Stop trying to live beyond your means.
    Learn how to budget your finances. Everyone has anxieties but you just have to get your act together and deal with your own mess. For Data protection reasons they may not be able to deal with your husband so it's time to just face up to whatever it is and learn from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

He could have been a legal person with a will to probate.

He could have been a sales person the OP dealt with before and is persistent in only dealing with the OP.

He could be someone collecting for a charity and again be persistent on meeting the OP only if he knows that the OP is a foregone donor.

Moral of story - you have no way of knowing it's a debt collector.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement