Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt collector calling

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 neenah

Jehovas Witness?

I don't think they would have my name though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

neenah wrote: »
    I don't think they would have my name though

Jehovah knows everyone's name, we are all his children. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

For God's sake can you not just be a small bit proactive anyway and whether in this particular instance or not it's a debt collector make a phone call to the institute you borrowed the money from and arrange repayment! It's not like you don't remember borrowing it or didn't spend it. There's no such thing as free money show a bit of personal responsibility and pay your debts.
    You can't hide behind the sofa everytime the doorbell rings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

bertsmom wrote:
    For God's sake can you not just be a small bit proactive anyway and whether in this particular instance or not it's a debt collector make a phone call to the institute you borrowed the money from and arrange repayment! It's not like you don't remember borrowing it or didn't spend it. There's no such thing as free money show a bit of personal responsibility and pay your debts. You can't hide behind the sofa everytime the doorbell rings!

If the debt has entered the statue barred period there is such a thing as free money. Look it up. The debt after this period of time has most likely being sold on for cents in the euro but the new owners of said debt hope to collect the full amount thereby turning a significant profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Fair enough if that's the way she wants to live her life but frankly wouldn't want anything to do with a person who just borrows and doesn't repay. In my mind I call it theft and then cowardly to not deal with the mess you create. Each to their own hope she's delighted with herself not bothering with this thread anymore because frankly if she has the wherewithal to be posting about her issue on the internet but has too many 'anxieties ' to deal with her own crap then I'm certainly not going to be wasting anytime thinking of solutions for her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

No idea how much the OP borrowed, hopefully no one starts a thread on the write down of debt DO'B got. This place would blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    If the debt has entered the statue barred period there is such a thing as free money. Look it up. The debt after this period of time has most likely being sold on for cents in the euro but the new owners of said debt hope to collect the full amount thereby turning a significant profit.

It’s not free money though, is it?

There’s no such thing.

There’s always a price to be paid.

OP is hiding out, crying, stressed out, ducking and diving because the “burly” man is knocking at her door.

Also, credit rating shot to fck. OP will not be given credit to buy a lucky bag.

Thats a serious impact on a persons well being and self worth.

I would argue (unless the OP is a complete free loader and lying about anxiety stress and the children being upset ) that the price they are paying is a lot more than any monetary value.

The OP currently does not have peace of mind and peace of mind is priceless.

anewme wrote:
    There’s no such thing.

There is if it's statue barred.

anewme wrote:
    Also, credit rating shot to fck. OP will not be given credit to buy a lucky bag.

Credit rating is fecked for 5 years. The OP if the timeline is right is sound again next year.

• Advertisement

There is if it's statue barred.

only the OP can only decide if it’s worth it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

anewme wrote: »
    It’s not free money though, is it?

Thats a serious impact on a persons well being and self worth.

Research doesn't appear to be your strong point. https://www.bluestoneam.ie/

No idea how much the OP borrowed, hopefully no one starts a thread on the write down of debt DO'B got. This place would blow.

It was only €300m though ! https://www.irishtimes.com/business/companies/banks-write-off-over-300m-in-three-deals-with-denis-o-brien-1.1830533

I'm sure the holier than thou brigade on here don't consume any of DOB connected goods/services as a protest :pac:

Squiggle wrote: »
    It was only €300m though ! https://www.irishtimes.com/business/companies/banks-write-off-over-300m-in-three-deals-with-denis-o-brien-1.1830533

I'm sure the holier than thou brigade on here don't consume any of DOB connected goods/services as a protest :pac:

What has Denis O'Brien got to do with the OP? Is he the Burly man who knocked on the OP's door or something.

Denis O'Brien is not responsible for the OP's debt.
    Bono is not responsible for the OP's debt.
    Michael D is not responsible for the OP's debt.
    The OP is responsible for the OP's debt.

Stop trying to blame everyone else.

The buck stops with the individual. She signed the paperwork. She agreed to pay back the loan. She didnt. Any fallout is her responsibility, not anyone elses'.

People need to look after their own debts.

What has Denis O'Brien got to do with the OP? Is he the Burly man who knocked on the OP's door or something.

Denis O'Brien is not responsible for the OP's debt.
    Bono is not responsible for the OP's debt.
    Michael D is not responsible for the OP's debt.
    The OP is responsible for the OP's debt.

Stop trying to blame everyone else.

The buck stops with the individual. She signed the paperwork. She agreed to pay back the loan. She didnt. Any fallout is her responsibility, not anyone elses'.

People need to look after their own debts.

The irony.

The irony.

There's no irony.

Let Denis and whoever else take personal responsibility for themselves.

Denis didn't post the thread so the advice is directed at the OP.

I signed up to pay my mortgage over 20 years. I could not give a flying fck what anyone else does. What Denis O'Brien does has no bearing on me trying to pay back what I owe. Its my personal responsibility and mine alone.

Have no idea why people have no grasp of common sense, you ask for the money, you pay it back. Unless of course you want to hide behind the couch stressing when the burly guy knocks in.

Thats' the reality.

anewme wrote:
    I signed up to pay my mortgage over 20 years. I could not give a flying fck what anyone else does. What Denis O'Brien does has no bearing on me trying to pay back what I owe. Its my personal responsibility and mine alone.

This is ironic, how many comments have you made? But you don't give a flying f**k what any is else does? Really?

This is ironic, how many comments have you made? But you don't give a flying f**k what any is else does? Really?

Sorry, that just does not make sense.

The phrase what any is else does? How is that ironic. What does it mean?

Debt avoidance speak?

Bamboozle the burly man with nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I signed up to pay my mortgage over 20 years. I could not give a flying fck what anyone else does.

I think he might be referring to the irony of what you said above, that you didn't give a fck what anyone else does, yet you feel the need to comment repeatedly on the morals of someone else's actions. . But you knew that, didn't you?

anewme wrote:
    Sorry, that just does not make sense.

You claimed you don't care what anyone else does, yet numerous comments of yours clearly demonstrate you do. Look up ironic if you don't understand it's use.

• Advertisement

Anyway OP hope you get sorted. I'm out until there's updates.

anewme wrote:
    The phrase what any is else does?

Terrible sorry for the confusion. It should have read "what anyone else does?" My point about irony still stands.

Have no idea why people have no grasp of common sense, you ask for the money, you pay it back. Unless of course you want to hide behind the couch stressing when the burly guy knocks in.

Thats' the reality.

No the reality is you don't have to hide behind the couch when the burly buffoon calls to the door - you ask them to leave. The people lacking common sense on this thread are those who choose to ignore current legislation, in particular, Section 11 of the Non-fatal against the person Act 1997, and the concept of Statute barred debt.

If you have a problem with either contact your local TD and while you're at it put your case for disbanding the ISI since your only solution to debt resolution appears to be that the debtor should pay the loan back. Stop shooting the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/glossary_of_debt_terms.html

May clear up a few things for people, They end of the page gives the 6 year rule of debt.

No the reality is you don't have to hide behind the couch when the burly buffoon calls to the door - you ask them to leave. The people lacking common sense on this thread are those who choose to ignore current legislation, in particular, Section 11 of the Non-fatal against the person Act 1997, and the concept of Statute barred debt.

If you have a problem with either contact your local TD and while you're at it put your case for disbanding the ISI since your only solution to debt resolution appears to be that the debtor should pay the loan back. Stop shooting the messenger.

You are pushing the same argument on me that you tried to on another poster above.

I'm not going to contact my TD because someone else does not pay what they owe.

What I'm also not going to do though, is feel any sympathy for those who ask to borrow money, then don't pay it back, then ask again how to get credit because they need a new car with a bad credit history and then play the "a big scary man knocked on a womans door and now I'm upset" card.

The people who clearly should contact their TD or maybe even their GP are the ones who constantly relate everything in life to Denis O'Brien. That's just bizarre.

Cant pay my bills - ask Denis?
    Cant get my forever home off the council - ask Denis?
    Got a bill for water - ask Denis?

Giving people advice based on someone else is meaningless and unhelpful and anyone following this line of advice will not end up the better for it.

You are pushing the same argument on me that you tried to on another poster above.

I'm not going to contact my TD because someone else does not pay what they owe.

What I'm also not going to do though, is feel any sympathy for those who ask to borrow money, then don't pay it back, then ask again how to get credit because they need a new car with a bad credit history and then play the "a big scary man knocked on a womans door and now I'm upset" card.

The people who clearly should contact their TD or maybe even their GP are the ones who constantly relate everything in life to Denis O'Brien. That's just bizarre.

Cant pay my bills - ask Denis?
    Cant get my forever home off the council - ask Denis?
    Got a bill for water - ask Denis?

Giving people advice based on someone else is meaningless and unhelpful and anyone following this line of advice will not end up the better for it.

:o

:o

U ok hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Op called them back on a blocked number.ha classic snake in the long grass.yeah that’s going to cod him and throw him right off your tracks.might even buy you another 10 years.
    If you were good enough to borrow the money,and enjoy spending it,be good enough to pay it back.
    You would feel a hell of a lot better having it paid back and not be hiding from your past.you can then put it in the past and move on chalking it down as a life lesson

Advertisement