Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updates on Mobile billing on PSN

Options
  • 09-03-2018 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

So anyone who uses HMVGamecredit or BuyGameCredit may have noticed over the last few days that both websites are shut down and will be permanently turned off in the coming days
    As this is a bummer for those of us who like to convert excess phone credit into PSN credit I thought we should make a separate thread for any updates on mobile billing for PSN (alternative websites, workarounds,etc) hopefully something can be found soon.
    In the mean time Im going to send an email to Sony (support@ie.playstation.com) asking will they implement mobile billing like they have in the UK Germany Canada Japan and the USA. I'd imagine if enough people actually contact PlayStation Ireland showing an interest in it they might consider implementing it here eventually.
    So if anyone has a few mins free and wants to send them an email or Facebook or twitter them it might help get the ball rolling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

So anyone who uses HMVGamecredit or BuyGameCredit may have noticed over the last few days that both websites are shut down and will be permanently turned off in the coming days
    As this is a bummer for those of us who like to convert excess phone credit into PSN credit I thought we should make a separate thread for any updates on mobile billing for PSN (alternative websites, workarounds,etc) hopefully something can be found soon.
    In the mean time Im going to send an email to Sony (support@ie.playstation.com) asking will they implement mobile billing like they have in the UK Germany Canada Japan and the USA. I'd imagine if enough people actually contact PlayStation Ireland showing an interest in it they might consider implementing it here eventually.
    So if anyone has a few mins free and wants to send them an email or Facebook or twitter them it might help get the ball rolling.

I reckon the reason the buygamecredit crowd are closing is because both sony and Microsoft are going to introduce mobile billing and they are either aware of this or have been bought out in order to close the site. for Sony and Microsoft its and easy way to get funds from kids who would normally not have another payment method

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

I reckon the reason the buygamecredit crowd are closing is because both sony and Microsoft are going to introduce mobile billing and they are either aware of this or have been bought out in order to close the site. for Sony and Microsoft its and easy way to get funds from kids who would normally not have another payment method

Both sites already operated in the UK as well, which already had mobile billing, so it's not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Anyone with an android phone should be able to use their phone credit to buy things on the Playstore. Apparently you can then pay for things like netflix and spotify via in app purchases. Have not tried this yet as i am on IOS but will pop my sim into an old android phone and see if it works.
    Its still not PSN credit but its something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Netflix do not support carrier billing in ROI anymore.
    Legacy customers who have the option from the few months that it was available, are able to continue with this billing option for the time being.

It would be great if the Play store started selling console credit :D

You can still buy 90 day PS+ subs on buygamecredit for 12.50 with your phone I would imagine this won't last long so be quick

• Advertisement

https://www.buygamecredit.com/GB/IE/playstation-90-day-plus-irl

You can also buy 12 month uk ps+ for 20gbp with a credit card on the uk part of the site it asks for a phone number but you could probably put in any old uk format number not sure if they ask for a pin and all that as you are paying with credit card?
    i have not tried it as i have ps+ for 2 and a half years now

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

No has unearthed any other sites by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭d9d

Any updates on this? Anywhere else we can buy PSN credit?

Possible work around!
    Apperantly you can buy bitcoins with you mobile credit https://coingate.com/
    Its a bit of a hassle getting set up making a wallet and sending them documents but hopefully its worth it. also i think coingate will take a percentage of your credit as a fee.
    Once thats all set up you should be able to buy giftcards at
    https://www.egifter.com/ for US PSN accounts which should offset some of the fee coingate took as US PSN prices are generally cheaper

I am still awaiting document confirmation on coingate but once that clears (within 24hours) i will report back

Edit: So for 30Euro phone credit (you can only pay in 30 euro sums) you will receive approx 0.002388 BTC (13.38euro)
    10USD PSN card costs 0.001552 BTC (8.70 euro)
    So basically every 3 months (assuming you are topping up by 20 a month) you should be able to buy 30USD worth of PSN cards, which is not great but its better then nothing :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Would you not just pay for it with a debit or credit card like a sane person?

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    Would you not just pay for it with a debit or credit card like a sane person?

No because I too up my phone every month with 20euro which covers all my calls texts and internet and the 20 euro sits there unused
    Why would I use a credit card if I could use my excess phone credit??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

But clearly you can't use your phone credit cause they've discontinued this service. If you're having to jump through all those hoops and use dodgy stuff like Bitcoin (and yes, it's totally unregulated and therefore dodgy as all hell, just ask the people from that Magic The Gathering site who had all their stuff disappear overnight), then there has to be a time when you're only costing yourself more in stress and time wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Creeping Death

But clearly you can't use your phone credit cause they've discontinued this service.

As keyboard_cat has pointed out, yes, you can clearly use your phone credit, it's just that it's a different service where the return is not as enticing.

But clearly you can't use your phone credit cause they've discontinued this service. If you're having to jump through all those hoops and use dodgy stuff like Bitcoin (and yes, it's totally unregulated and therefore dodgy as all hell, just ask the people from that Magic The Gathering site who had all their stuff disappear overnight), then there has to be a time when you're only costing yourself more in stress and time wasted

This is a different service to HMV game credit (well actually its two services in tandem) which will accept phone credit.
    If i loose my money like these magic the gathering people thats fine as i will only be putting in my phone credit which i have already written off. Also i dont plan on accumulating much money in my bitcoin wallet so i am not sure if that lowers my chances of being scammed?
    As said before when i have 30 euro credit i transfer it to bitcoins and get 13.38euro in bitcoins from that i can buy a 10usd psn card (8.70 euro) and leaves 4.60 in my bitcoin wallet, Next time i have 30 euro of credit i buy 20usd psn card. which leaves an extra 50c in my bitcoin wallet unused every 3 months
    I am not stressing out about this but yes it is a bit of a hassle getting setup and there are more steps involved but between myself and my girlfriend we top up by 20 euro each every 28 days which equates to about 260 usd worth of potential psn credit for me which i am happy to spend the few mins every month with the phone and computer out to transfer the credit.

So just got confirmed and went to top transfer the credit to bitcoins. Basically you call a premium number type in a code you get given at coingate and stay on the line for approx 10 mins before it automatically hangs up. the call cost me about 35Euro in credit and i got 13.44euro worth of bitcoins back (which takes 24 hours to get to my wallet) Anyways not sure if i will continue doing this but at lest people know its an option.
    As said in the original post probably the best way to get a result is to get onto Sony and BOKU (company who provide mobile payments on PSN) and ask them to make mobile payments available here direct from PSN
    In the mean time if anyone else comes across another method please let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

So just got confirmed and went to top transfer the credit to bitcoins. Basically you call a premium number type in a code you get given at coingate and stay on the line for approx 10 mins before it automatically hangs up. the call cost me about 35Euro in credit and i got 13.44euro worth of bitcoins back (which takes 24 hours to get to my wallet) Anyways not sure if i will continue doing this but at lest people know its an option.
    As said in the original post probably the best way to get a result is to get onto Sony and BOKU (company who provide mobile payments on PSN) and ask them to make mobile payments available here direct from PSN
    In the mean time if anyone else comes across another method please let us know

That doesn't sound to bad at all.Im off to get some bit coin.

Finally 10USD in my psn account
    Just some details for anyone else doing this coingate took 2 days to transfer the money into my bitcoin wallet,
    Egifter took about 20 mins to process the bitcoins and confirm that i had actually paid, then took another hour to send me the PSN code (sending the psn code can take up to 24 hours) also i incurred more fees then i initially thought so the card in total costs 0.00198926btc (11.59eur, 13.43usd) which has left me with 0.00042535btc (2.60eur) left in my bitcoin wallet

So all in all 35euro credit can be turned into 10usd psn credit and 2.60euro in bitcoins and it can take about 3 days for it all to happen.
    :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Finally 10USD in my psn account
    Just some details for anyone else doing this coingate took 2 days to transfer the money into my bitcoin wallet,
    Egifter took about 20 mins to process the bitcoins and confirm that i had actually paid, then took another hour to send me the PSN code (sending the psn code can take up to 24 hours) also i incurred more fees then i initially thought so the card in total costs 0.00198926btc (11.59eur, 13.43usd) which has left me with 0.00042535btc (2.60eur) left in my bitcoin wallet

So all in all 35euro credit can be turned into 10usd psn credit and 2.60euro in bitcoins and it can take about 3 days for it all to happen.
    :/

Could you not sit on the value of the coin and try and grind up the value on the coin.Id rather have it in my bit coin wallet than giving it back to three.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr infomaniac

What bitcoin wallet did you use.

What bitcoin wallet did you use.

https://electrum.org i didnt do any research on bitcoin wallets. So maybe some wallets are better? I really know nothing about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

Possible silly question, but could you set up a UK psn account, then top the UK wallet through mobile billing on their site with an Irish (three) mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Possible silly question, but could you set up a UK psn account, then top the UK wallet through mobile billing on their site with an Irish (three) mobile?
    Don't think it will work as only UK mobile providers would work on UK PSN

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

Dammit, just clutching at straws. Was wondering if there’s any prepaid credit cards or something similar that could be topped up with phone credit. I have €100 sitting there teasing me!

Dammit, just clutching at straws. Was wondering if there’s any prepaid credit cards or something similar that could be topped up with phone credit. I have €100 sitting there teasing me!

I have been looking not found anything other then being able to buy apps/in app purchases on android and bitcoins (but thats at a heavy loss)

Thread here mostly about in app purchases
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057869861

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Has there been any update on this at all

Advertisement