Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job but hours are very sparse...

Options
  • 09-03-2018 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short, been self employed for a few years and recently had to close the business because I wasn't doing well.

I was *extremely* lucky to find a job so soon - It's in retail and I'm a customer sales assistant. Basic entry level position and wouldn't expect anything else. The work is actually, to my surprise, not too bad. Staff are amazing and managers are for the most part, good

I'm on a 3 month probation contract which ends in May. Until then, I have a 12 hour contract which is what I'm getting as they're cutting hours across the whole company. I'm paid 1~ euro above minimum wage which will go up to the living wage once probation ends, and will get a 20 hour contract. Right now, I'm getting €120 a week.

I'm not expecting miracles but I'm 27 and would *love* to settle down with my girlfriend and start getting my life together properly. Can't do it on this money. I got 3 days off this week, working today and tomorrow then off for 3 more. Not much money at all. I'm flexi-time too so nothing is set in stone, rota wise.

I struggle with depression and anxiety, and have been getting some really strong feelings of "wtf am I doing with my life" lately. I think that once I find a meaningful, regular job with social interaction that can allow me to earn and not have to pinch pennies I'll be happy.

I'm learning to program right now which *could* see a return in a few years once I'm proficient enough but nada.

Any advice or words of wisdom? I'm pretty much in "beggars can't be choosers" territory, I know. Also, I know to stay in this job. Much better to stay in employment, regardless of the situation.

Thanks gang!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Long story short, been self employed for a few years and recently had to close the business because I wasn't doing well.

I was *extremely* lucky to find a job so soon - It's in retail and I'm a customer sales assistant. Basic entry level position and wouldn't expect anything else. The work is actually, to my surprise, not too bad. Staff are amazing and managers are for the most part, good

I'm on a 3 month probation contract which ends in May. Until then, I have a 12 hour contract which is what I'm getting as they're cutting hours across the whole company. I'm paid 1~ euro above minimum wage which will go up to the living wage once probation ends, and will get a 20 hour contract. Right now, I'm getting €120 a week.

I'm not expecting miracles but I'm 27 and would *love* to settle down with my girlfriend and start getting my life together properly. Can't do it on this money. I got 3 days off this week, working today and tomorrow then off for 3 more. Not much money at all. I'm flexi-time too so nothing is set in stone, rota wise.

I struggle with depression and anxiety, and have been getting some really strong feelings of "wtf am I doing with my life" lately. I think that once I find a meaningful, regular job with social interaction that can allow me to earn and not have to pinch pennies I'll be happy.

I'm learning to program right now which *could* see a return in a few years once I'm proficient enough but nada.

Any advice or words of wisdom? I'm pretty much in "beggars can't be choosers" territory, I know. Also, I know to stay in this job. Much better to stay in employment, regardless of the situation.

Thanks gang!

I was in a similar position at one stage. Sooner or later someone will call in sick or something. If there's a chance to take their shift, offer. Every extra hour that could be available to you, take it.

Eventually they'll come to you first with extra hours.

Temporary solution I know but I can appreciate that money is paramount right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Keep your head down, work hard and as above offer to do hours at short notice etc.
    Your probation will end and then you can evaluate the hours your given.

27 is young, it’s amazing when you apply yourself how in a short time you’ll have enough experience to look at other positions which may pay better.

Anxiety is a terrible thing, my advice on that is set yourself goals that are achievable, like getting through probation, then to a year then to two years. Each one builds on the last and builds your confidence. Don’t fall onto the trap of thinking if you leave this job for something else that it will cure your anxiety, my experience on that front is that your anxiety will just find a new focus and you’ll have changed jobs for no reason, but still be anxious about something !

Good luck!

Advertisement