Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mothers Day

Options
  • 09-03-2018 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

How does your Mothers day usually go? I won't be doing anything with my mother this Sunday as she is unwell.

I am interested to know what other families do? Does the Mother of the family in your situation make a plan or make a request, or are they asked what they would like to do?

Men of the forum, what way do you approach it regarding your partners?

Im just interested in a general discussion, no right or wrong answer, just looking for an overview of what is realistic across the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I have two small children. I usually spend the day with my husband and kids, we don’t go out for food because it’s always manic which is not my idea of fun with young children! My husband usually makes a nice brekkie with the girls, my eldest makes a nice card etc and we might go into town for a stroll and bring the kids to the playground etc

In the evening my sisters and I go out for a drink with our Mam and celebrate it with her that way! My youngest sister still lives at home so she’s on breakfast duty ;)

That’s the way we do it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I am a mother, and I have a mother - the last couple of years my OH has helped our eldest boy do something - two years ago it was breakfast in bed, last year he took him to the shop to buy flowers and a card. This has to be driven by my children- my OH is very not into stuff like that, and would let it go by otherwise.
    We usually go out somewhere for something to eat, and my mother comes with us, though it would actually be easier to get a bag of chips and eat them in the car, because it’s a manic day in restaurants, and we’ve got three kiddos now, so they’re hard to control!
    This year I have to go on a school outing, so I’m not sure how we will squeeze in a family meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

jlm29 wrote: »
    I am a mother, and I have a mother - the last couple of years my OH has helped our eldest boy do something - two years ago it was breakfast in bed, last year he took him to the shop to buy flowers and a card. This has to be driven by my children- my OH is very not into stuff like that, and would let it go by otherwise.
    We usually go out somewhere for something to eat, and my mother comes with us, though it would actually be easier to get a bag of chips and eat them in the car, because it’s a manic day in restaurants, and we’ve got three kiddos now, so they’re hard to control!
    This year I have to go on a school outing, so I’m not sure how we will squeeze in a family meal!

We do nothing. I'll send my mother a text and probably do more than usual around at home (although that's pretty much 50/50 all the time).
    We just don't buy much into any of the days (mother's, father's, Patrick's, valentine's etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Don't celebrate it. I'm sure the younger child will have made a card in school, older child will probably text me, husbag will do nothing but that's okay with me. It's just a normal day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I usually organise something for my mam with my brothers as they would ignore it otherwise. They are away/ busy this year so I am bringing her out for afternoon tea on Saturday (Sunday will be too busy).
    It's my first Mother's Day as a mammy so I am hoping to have my feet up all day with the hubby on baby duty. My son is in the middle of his four month sleep regression so a nap would be lovely!
    It is an important day for my ma, she loves being spoilt (acknowledged, really) so I will continue to do things for her as long as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It’s my first mother’s day as well! My husband is going to take me to the cinema Saturday night ... my first time away from the baby. I’m hoping I can stay awake because I have gone to bed after 10.00pm in three months!

For my mom and MIL, I have two cards this year, mother and nana cards and a photo frame for a pic of her first grandbaby.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not really much here.Cards for mother and MIL.We don't go out, but will try to see parents over the weekend-this year is actually different due to a big family do on Sunday, totally coincidental. Husband might stretch to a card from him and the kids,(although he surprised me with chocolate tonight!!!)Have no expectations re: a day off or a break from kid duty, it doesn't happen with two smallies.
    And to be honest, it's not something I see as a big deal.

If people want a laugh, I suggest looking up the Mother's day episode of the 'The Middle'.It sums it all up well!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Sister and I chip in for floweŕs & chocs for my Mam, hubby will do the same for his Mam, then me & my sister will go out to dinner with a few other mammy friends.
    My almost 6 year has a card hidden in his school bag ( he's brutal at keeping secrets :D ) that he made in school so I expect that tomorrow morning sometime plus hubby ducked out this morning so I'm assuming a bunch of flowers & a card are coming my way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

Took my mam out for dinner today. I’m a mother myself, I’ll head to park/playground with my oh and daughter tomorrow and then head to my mams for a family dinner. We don’t do anything extravagant but it’s nice to get all the gang together .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I've a wife who is a mother of 2, a mother of my own and a mother in law.

We don't recognise mothers day, fathers day or valentines day as we think they're all complete bullsh!t.

I try my best to be a great son/husband/father 365 days a year and will teach that to my children.

Hallmark holidays are just a money-making scam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my kids make me cards, I send the mother in law flowers and buy a present for mine.

Advertisement