Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf game size and frequency discussion thread

• 09-03-2018 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭

I do think it might be useful to have a discussion around size of game vs frequency of game, if there is consistently high demand from a lot of players/players are repeatedly missing out on games.

Its grand to just increase the size of the game, but that comes with risks in balancing, as well as dropouts.

And i think everyone would welcome such a discussion. At the moment, however, its been a long time since we had any subs in any games, and every game has been as full as the game mods could manage, so i think its useful to see how this game will go with subs in the Ted game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Pter wrote: »
    I do think it might be useful to have a discussion around size of game vs frequency of game, if there is consistently high demand from a lot of players/players are repeatedly missing out on games.

Its grand to just increase the size of the game, but that comes with risks in balancing, as well as dropouts.

And i think everyone would welcome such a discussion. At the moment, however, its been a long time since we had any subs in any games, and every game has been as full as the game mods could manage, so i think its useful to see how this game will go with subs.

This game, however, will be 20 players for sure. We really dont wanna rebuild it or change it at this stage.

I think that's fair enough Pter, I think it's good to have smaller games too. Big games are demanding on the mods and I think it's totally up to them how many players they can/want to handle at a time.

I also think it's going to be interesting in terms of how it plays out. I think sometimes the village can think oh sure we've 20+ villagers we can afford a few mistakes, and then it just turns into lynch by numbers which is kinda dull, a smaller village team will mean the village can afford to be less complacent!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

And i think everyone would welcome such a discussion. At the moment, however, its been a long time since we had any subs in any games, and every game has been as full as the game mods could manage, so i think its useful to see how this game will go with subs.

This game, however, will be 20 players for sure. We really dont wanna rebuild it or change it at this stage.

Yeah I think I alluded to this previously in sully's discussion thread. I think there's a growing appetite for more frequency in the amount of games played.
    This game aside, which is built for 20 players and definitely a move in the right direction imo - I've been banging a drum about increasing the frequency of live games for some of the forum regulars who maybe can't commit to a full game.

However - and here in my opinion is the stickler.

To increase the amount of games and therefore include more players in that manner, we need a larger amount of game mods.
    Modding a game is every bit as rewarding as playing for me, sometimes even moreso and to grow the forum even further, it would be great to see others give running a game a whirl.

I have no problem making myself available to anyone nervous about backroom permissions, game balancing etc for any first time mods who have an idea and wish to share it with the community.

I see no reason why 2 15/20 person games can't be run each month, along with live games.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Yeah I think I alluded to this previously in sully's discussion thread. I think there's a growing appetite for more frequency in the amount of games played.
    This game aside, which is built for 20 players and definitely a move in the right direction imo - I've been banging a drum about increasing the frequency of live games for some of the forum regulars who maybe can't commit to a full game.

To increase the amount of games and therefore include more players in that manner, we need a larger amount of game mods.
    Modding a game is every bit as rewarding as playing for me, sometimes even moreso and to grow the forum even further, it would be great to see others give running a game a whirl.

I have no problem making myself available to anyone nervous about backroom permissions, game balancing etc for any first time mods who have an idea and wish to share it with the community.

I see no reason why 2 15/20 person games can't be run each month, along with live games.

I've no problem modding more often either, I'm actually hoping to change jobs soon and if that happens I might not be able to commit to playing to the same extent as before but could definitely make time for modding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yeah it was the 2 smaller 12-15 person games per month that i was thinking of. We do one per month/every 6 weeks or so at the moment, but no reason i can see that it couldnt be more frequent if there are people there willing to mod the games.

Fire up a quick game now necro. I’m bored and not drunk

• Advertisement

was gonna suggest popcorn but I'm locked out of discord, my 2fa app is on my old phone :(

I've no problem modding more often either, I'm actually hoping to change jobs soon and if that happens I might not be able to commit to playing to the same extent as before but could definitely make time for modding.

:D It wasn't a jibe btw, TB - you mod a lot here and have produced some great games. I was more appealing for new mods in the frame of the last few games - trit, Lough, Kolido, raze - partyjungle in the game after this. Duffman has kindly put himself forward to help you folk out too and that is a massive positive for the community instead of Necro/Pter/TB/Molly/Digi/Beaker modding every game.

:pac::pac: I'd love to but I'm off to bed in an hour, working nights tonight :(

:D It wasn't a jibe btw, TB - you mod a lot here and have produced some great games. I was more appealing for new mods in the frame of the last few games - trit, Lough, Kolido, raze - partyjungle in the game after this. Duffman has kindly put himself forward to help you folk out too and that is a massive positive for the community instead of Necro/Pter/TB/Molly/Digi/Beaker modding every game.

God i hate when those guys mod.

was gonna suggest popcorn but I'm locked out of discord, my 2fa app is on my old phone :(

Can you not download the app on your new phone?

Popcorn mafia tonight at 6ish I think that’s what Mick said over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ive modded one game, but sure lump me in with the veterans.

beakerjoe wrote: »

Ok, fair enough but you're down for two upcoming games :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Yeah this is only my second time modding and I broke COP the first time so don't put me in that group. :pac:

Yeah I've only modded 2 too! number 3 this year! hoping to break my curse (soz Pter)

Fine, my veterans list has flaws. Everyone's a critic :pac:

I did a count Necro and the top of the pops for modding are yourself, sully, Jayop (sigh), Mrs FD.

Yeah I've only modded 2 too! number 3 this year! hoping to break my curse (soz Pter)

Curse?

Can you not download the app on your new phone?

Popcorn mafia tonight at 6ish I think that’s what Mick said over there?

I can but my login needs 2fa, I don't think I downloaded the list of codes

I did a count Necro and the top of the pops for modding are yourself, sully, Jayop (sigh), Mrs FD.

That's cos I've got OCD regarding WW:o:o:o

Curse?

you can't back out now comrade!

Romeo and Juliet had a no show serial killer and I think might be the game that pushed Stoogie to the brink, and Community, well need I say more?

CURSED I TELLS YA!!

• Advertisement

I can but my login needs 2fa, I don't think I downloaded the list of codes

I don’t know what that means but could you make a new username/account?

Romeo and Juliet had a no show serial killer and I think might be the game that pushed Stoogie to the brink, and Community, well need I say more?

CURSED I TELLS YA!!

You'll both be grand, you've got a third:

tenor.gif?itemid=4169295

CURSED I TELLS YA!!

You didnt mention this when we agreed to do the game......

:pac:

Be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Don't mind helping out on the modding side if anyone wants. I have 2 under my belt so I guess that means I'm almost at retirement stage according to Necro! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

CURSED I TELLS YA!!

Jump on board to myself and Necros June game, i need a fallguy for when it all goes wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Last time didn't suit Necro but I'd be up for running vanilla nightlies, if we were to go monthly to start we could see how interest was?

Re capping numbers, leave it up to individual mods anyways, I'm pretty sure we've had capped games here before, and there's nothing stopping players signing up as subs if they want.

I suppose it comes down to individuals but I'd prefer to keep our monthly large game as however the mods like and then run a secondary, smaller game if people are about. I'm not sure if we could do large games week on week off, and saying we're going to do two smaller games a month is unfair on mods too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Last time didn't suit Necro but I'd be up for running vanilla nightlies, if we were to go monthly to start we could see how interest was?

Re capping numbers, leave it up to individual mods anyways, I'm pretty sure we've had capped games here before, and there's nothing stopping players signing up as subs if they want.

I suppose it comes down to individuals but I'd prefer to keep our monthly large game as however the mods like and then run a secondary, smaller game if people are about. I'm not sure if we could do large games week on week off, and saying we're going to do two smaller games a month is unfair on mods too.

I like the idea of vanilla secondary games, especially to bridge the gap between the main games. And it gives the mods for the main games more scope to say spaces are limited with subs.

Could you not do a lottery type thing for capped number games? Everyone who wants in express their interest, pull names out of hat and the rest on the subs bench?

I think I’ll soon be ready to pop my mod berry. But I do use the internet 99% of the time via my phone

• Advertisement

Agree with Digi actually, some excellent points.

And put me down as player for next live game, I've modded the last two :P

MOD: Discussing live games in light of the next game is ok, but please no cross promotion of other threads in the forum.

Advertisement