Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf game size and frequency discussion thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Designing a game for 25 players is my approach. Any number above or below can be easily adjusted if you pick a theme that is not tied to a specific number. Personally, Id try to avoid themes like this.

As the community grows that average player number will increase, may then need to start thinking of bigger games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote: »
    Designing a game for 25 players is my approach. Any number above or below can be easily adjusted if you pick a theme that is not tied to a specific number. Personally, Id try to avoid themes like this.

As the community grows that average player number will increase, may then need to start thinking of bigger games.

Yeah I kinda like that thinking tbh.

It is a dream of mine to one day host a game for 50 players here on boards.

MU did an 80 player game, but run before I can walk :pac:

I have a brief outline of how the mechanics would work, to enable it to conclude in a similar timeframe to normal games.

But, it's probably a little while away yet before we get those sort of numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I honestly can't say I noticed much difference really. The game was shorter but I put that down to the high kill rate rather than limited numbers and there were 25 ppl its hardly a tiny game

Personally I prefer smaller games as a mod and player, with too many players keeping up with the posts is too much, you either have to be online every minute or spend your game skimming which is zero fun.

I think it's totally up to each set of game mods how many people they want to host for, and if it's limited it's limited we're all grown-ups

Necrominus wrote: »

I have a brief outline of how the mechanics would work, to enable it to conclude in a similar timeframe to normal games.

Did someone mention guns?

No?

O :(

Carry on

Did someone mention guns?

No?

O :(

Carry on

A 50 or more person game would have lots of guns :P

I'm trying to work out how to implement what is known as an 'In Thread Attack' period on boards which is a lot of fun from playing on MU.

Basically, all players are given one bullet per day with a base hit rate. This can be increased through tasks/competitions/other fun stuff.

Then there are two designated hours each day where people are entitled to shoot at each other. The percentage chance of hitting is quite low, so it doesn't actually result in mass casualties and people have to be mindful they only have one shot per day so they can save it till the second phase if they like.

The difficulty is that all of this is automated on Mafia Universe. Implementing it manually would be a lot of work... but... there may be a way as suggested by others.

I don't know if it's fully workable, but an attempt will probably be made at some stage to implement it in a future game.

• Advertisement

I honestly can't say I noticed much difference really. The game was shorter but I put that down to the high kill rate rather than limited numbers and there were 25 ppl its hardly a tiny game

Personally I prefer smaller games as a mod and player, with too many players keeping up with the posts is too much, you either have to be online every minute or spend your game skimming which is zero fun.

I think it's totally up to each set of game mods how many people they want to host for, and if it's limited it's limited we're all grown-ups

No the game itself was not the issue for me, I think it worked well. And yeah, definitely agree it's entirely up to game mods.

Just think that some folks (not me, but I'm crazy) don't frequent this section of boards every day so advance notice of a limited player number game would be a good idea going forward.

Necrominus wrote:
    Just think that some folks (not me, but I'm crazy) don't frequent this section of boards every day so advance notice of a limited player number game would be a good idea going forward.

Maybe we should add it as a column in the game mod q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I for one wouldn't/couldn't play a game with 50 players in it. As it is, some of the games with high posters (ahem Necro) can get to 1000 posts after a day and it is just too much of an ask to try keep up with a thread like that. Like TB said there, once I get a certain distance behind the main thread I just start skimming and it's just not enjoyable for me, especially when people pick at posters in game who are behind.

I don't think that having limited numbers restricts the fun in a game. 20 people in a game is still a lot of discussion and banter. My point of view is that restricted numbers increase interest in games. If the long term plan was to run more than one game a month then this is a good way to get people into the forum and signed up to them. If they miss a game they wanted to play they'll be sure to get on the list for the next one as soon as it comes out.

There's not much we can do about people missing a sign up thread. We have the stickied thread with notifications for the new games. I don't think we should be PM'ing people to tell them about a game coming up, it's too much for a Mod on top of the normal modding and planning stuff to do. People who are interested in the games should follow the Notification thread and that's how they'll find out about it. I don't want to be holding people's hands too much. We're all adults.

Being honest about it I was quite disappointed with our last game. The restricted timing was our own fault though. We shouldn't have run it that week. It just put too much pressure on us to get the game finished by Thursday and it caused no end of headaches and stress. We had set the game up for 20 people and were comfortable enough with the timings. Adding the extra 5 just created chaos for us and it kinda ruined it for me. In hindsight we should've just stuck to our guns and stayed with 20 players.

Modding that game with 25 players was a full time job, or more than a full time job for me for that week. I was only able to do it because certain issues in work means my boss is out of the office for a while and I didn't have someone looking over my shoulder. I couldn't do that normally and I will always push hard in games that I mod for numbers to be limited to below 25.

What's the highest number of players to play in a Boards WW game to date?

Here was me thinking/hoping we could get 28-30 for our August game, going on ideas we've discussed so far, but am I being a bit optimistic in that?

Out of the 4 games I've played so far, I think 28 was the highest number of players in any of those games.

I think the Walking Dead had 30 players which is the largest. Might be wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I think the Walking Dead had 30 players which is the largest. Might be wrong though

I thought it had north of 30. One of the games did I think.

Pter wrote: »
    I thought it had north of 30. One of the games did I think.

Nah started with 30 players.

Buffy *technically* had 31... but 2 were mods messing about :P

(Take a bow sKeith and Drumpot for a stellar performance)

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I for one wouldn't/couldn't play a game with 50 players in it. As it is, some of the games with high posters (ahem Necro) can get to 1000 posts after a day and it is just too much of an ask to try keep up with a thread like that. Like TB said there, once I get a certain distance behind the main thread I just start skimming and it's just not enjoyable for me, especially when people pick at posters in game who are behind.

After a day? I was aiming for 1k in a full game... Challenge Accepted! :pac::pac:

Ah I get what you're saying re: large numbers, Molly.

I just like to set myself crazy challenges and break new ground... but I'm a dreamer so just ignore me :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

After a day? I was aiming for 1k in a full game... Challenge Accepted! :pac::pac:

Ah I get what you're saying re: large numbers, Molly.

I just like to set myself crazy challenges and break new ground... but I'm a dreamer so just ignore me :pac::pac::pac:

I meant the thread can get to 1000 posts in a day. Not the poster! What have I done? :eek:

I think Simpsons was 30 no?

I'm not crapping all over the idea of a 50 player game either Necro, it's a fine ambition. I think we need to put some solid effort into getting more members if that's an aim, as it stands you'd probably need to get everyone who currently plays to sign up plus a handful more, not to mention probably 4 mods (maybe 5) and as with Molly I'd totally only be interested in watching a game that big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Simpsons was the biggest game afaik, 31 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

I don't anyone should be stretching for sign ups by mailing people, adds unneeded pressure to mods especially if theyve built a game for 30 or more people. You'd be stressing about sign ups and then needing to rebalance etc.

I do think there needs to be more of a focus on attracting new players, I think a second game on every 2nd month limited to 15 players or so might help attract new players, especially if we use mainstream themes to attract them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I think for new players running some vanilla games every now and again may help as they won't need to worry about the themes on top of learning the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

kitten_k wrote: »
    I think for new players running some vanilla games every now and again may help as they won't need to worry about the themes on top of learning the game.

I get were you coming from, my initial reasoning for signing up was based on a theme but others might be for different reasons. Id be thinking extremely mainstream themes that everyone would know.

Advertisement