Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

launching a boat into royal or grand canal from slip or crane info

Options
  • 09-03-2018 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

My friend has a idea to launch his 21 foot drop keel wooden clinker built open type dingy trailer sailor into the canal system in Kildare dublin meath region .
    Then with the trusty Seagul motor across country to river Shannon river system over a few weekend periods .

Anyway He wasnt aware how the system works for getting the gates open for the slips to put boat in the water .

Now it looks like the launch point will be either Robertstown or Convey possibly Dunsink or Maynooth .
    Clondolkin had bad reputation in past for launching or passing through due to rocks that fall from the sky there .
    The advantage is the towing the boat from Bandonnel location to those locations is easier .

is the crane still available to launch at low town ???

Thats would be best as very low on man power its just him and his second half and i have slipped disk so can do heavy work for a few weeks

I saw road works yesterday when i looked the Maynooth slip as I passed through Maynnoth on the commuter train so not sure if the road works will block access to the slip over the weekend periods when he would launch

Dunsink has the advantage that the office from Inland waterways is near buy so they can can come quickly to open the slip way system

I am not up to speed on the other launch sites but was told the Robertown slip has nasty drop in it that makes launching there more difficult for trailer extraction .

I said I would do my best to get the info .

I presume he can get the canal lock pass online and later the next week after launching go to the place where he can collect the lock keys .
    His boat being wooden needs to sit for few days tied up to the wall to close up the leaks as the wooden hulls soaks up the water and expands

Weight of boat is about 500kilos open cabin type so not easy to live on so his second half will follow up with the camper van for night sleep overs .

any ideas recommendations

Comments

Advertisement