Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meter reading timescales

Options
  • 09-03-2018 5:57pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, how far in advance of a bill is a meter reading supposed to be submitted? As far as I know, our bill is due to generate on the 13th, so I've just read the meters to submit a reading, but when I go to put it into the system, it throws an error message,

We're sorry you cannot submit a reading
    You cannot enter a meter reading at this time as your next bill is due to be issued soon.

How soon is soon?? With our previous supplier, there was no restriction on entering a reading, it would happily take the reading up to the day before the bill issued. Is your IT system so antiquated that it can't cope with a reading nearly a week before the anticipated billing date?

If it is, then that for me will be a very good reason to revert to our previous supplier as soon as the contact period expires, if I can't rely on being able to put accurate information in to the system before the billing date, then I'm not going to bother trying to keep things accurate and up to date if all I'm doing is wasting my time going outdoors to read the meter. I have looked online, and I cannot find the date of next reading anywhere on the account, which makes it hard to determine when to put a reading in to the system. It really should not be this messy to deal with a basic accounting function.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Irish Steve,

Thank you for getting in touch.

ESB Networks read the meters for four out of the six annual bills (subject to the meter's accessibility) for customers of Electric Ireland and other billing companies. The remaining two bills are estimated. This is why there isn't the facility to send in a meter-reading beforehand, because the meter will more than likely be read anyway.

The only time it is necessary for a customer to send in a meter-reading is when they receive an estimated bill. If they contact us as soon as possible, an over-estimated bill will be cancelled and replaced by the accurate bill (due for payment two weeks from its date of issue) and if the bill is under-estimated, the additional balance will be generated and due for payment two weeks from its own date of issue.

If you have any other questions, we will be back here on Electric Ireland Social Media Monday morning.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement