Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First PC build not working. Think it might be the CPU

Options
  • 09-03-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hello folks.

I've just tried to build my first PC.
    Its failed. I really think I've done everything right. I showed my brother who has built some before and he cannot find the problem either.

I've even returned the mother board to amazon n tried a replacement.

I'm out of ideas other than one. Does anyone have a socket 1151 board I can try my CPU in. I ordered it from the United states so it will be a long return. Or if anyone has a 1151 compliant chip we can test on my board. I just need a way to test the CPU is defective.

My board is STRIX Z270 H GAMING.
    My processor is 8700K.
    Noctua DH 15 fans.

The orange power led on the mother goes on but nothing happens at all when I power up the PC.
    CPU fan doesn't move.

Power supply works on my old pc n used regularly.

I've tried clearing the jumper as the manual says n I've also swapped the cmos battery.

Any advice or help or ideas would be welcomed. I've tried for two weeks now 😣

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Did you try a test build outside of the case (on the MB box)? Doesn't sound like the CPU to me - usually the system will power on, however briefly; potentially sounds like a short.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

manonboard wrote: »
    Hello folks.

I've just tried to build my first PC.
    Its failed. I really think I've done everything right. I showed my brother who has built some before and he cannot find the problem either.

I've even returned the mother board to amazon n tried a replacement.

I'm out of ideas other than one. Does anyone have a socket 1151 board I can try my CPU in. I ordered it from the United states so it will be a long return. Or if anyone has a 1151 compliant chip we can test on my board. I just need a way to test the CPU is defective.

My board is STRIX Z270 H GAMING.
    My processor is 8700K.
    Noctua DH 15 fans.

The orange power led on the mother goes on but nothing happens at all when I power up the PC.
    CPU fan doesn't move.

Power supply works on my old pc n used regularly.

I've tried clearing the jumper as the manual says n I've also swapped the cmos battery.

Any advice or help or ideas would be welcomed. I've tried for two weeks now 😣

Thank you

remove ram, graphics card and unplug all psu connectors except the motherboard connector.  Turn the pc on and check if you are getting the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

sugarman wrote: »
    That board probably needs a BIOS update to work with that Coffee Lake CPU.

You'll need a Kaby Lake CPU to do it.

EDIT: Z270 boards arent compatible at all with Coffee Lake CPUs despite the same socket.

So my z270 says suitable for 6th / 7th gen 1151 socket but my 8700k is a 8th gen even though same 1151 socket.

I've just read all I could find on it and I think you are absolutely right.

I wouldn't of seen this. Im going to order a 370 board n hopefully will have better luck.
    Thank you for your helpful response

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

manonboard wrote: »
    So my z270 says suitable for 6th / 7th gen 1151 socket but my 8700k is a 8th gen even though same 1151 socket.

I've just read all I could find on it and I think you are absolutely right.

I wouldn't of seen this. Im going to order a 370 board n hopefully will have better luck.
    Thank you for your helpful response

Order your Z370 board in EU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

sugarman wrote: »
    That board probably needs a BIOS update to work with that Coffee Lake CPU.

You'll need a Kaby Lake CPU to do it.

EDIT: Z270 boards arent compatible at all with Coffee Lake CPUs despite the same socket.

Hey everyone. Op here. I wanted to update you since you were kinda enough to help.

I got my hands on a z370 from adverts this weekend. It worked perfectly. Have a great running 4.8ghz 8700k now. Hitting 90fps in my games on max with a 2556x1440 resolution.

I'm very pleased.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was about to RMA the CPU. Really helpful folks

Ray

• Advertisement
Advertisement