Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Numbers - Does the angle matter?

Options
  • 09-03-2018 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm trying to fit on my number onto a number holder but it seems a bit too easy to move.
    rcFiEM5.jpg
    Am I able to put it like the image above and zip tie it to the seatpost or does it need to be horizontal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

If I recall correctly CI says it has to be on the seatpost, but I've seen people having it at angles, on headset, top tube, etc. As long as it is visible and doesn't flap around, this should be ok, but anyone please feel free to correct me.

It is hard to tell from the picture, it looks like it may get turned face down in the wind, I'd secure it in 2 points if possible.

Good luck in the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A new bike will sort that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

07Lapierre wrote: »
    A new bike will sort that! :)
    Or just an inline seat post. That clamp position looks dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

If you have a triangular shaped seatpost and put it on with cable ties it will be at an angle. Not a big deal.

Put mine on today and reckon they will be free advertising for CI. Its quite likely I won't bother taking it off until the end of the race season and I imagine others will do likewise.

Question, can race numbers be put through the wash ? Was wondering could they be kept on a jersey for the whole season too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

If you have a triangular shaped seatpost and put it on with cable ties it will be at an angle. Not a big deal.

Put mine on today and reckon they will be free advertising for CI. Its quite likely I won't bother taking it off until the end of the race season and I imagine others will do likewise.

Question, can race numbers be put through the wash ? Was wondering could they be kept on a jersey for the whole season too.

Yeah they're washable. But when you wash the pins in the jersey they'll rip holes in it eventually

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

I'm trying to fit on my number onto a number holder but it seems a bit too easy to move.
    rcFiEM5.jpg
    Am I able to put it like the image above and zip tie it to the seatpost or does it need to be horizontal?

Is your saddle pointing downwards? Or is it just the angle of the camera?

nee wrote: »
    Yeah they're washable. But when you wash the pins in the jersey they'll rip holes in it eventually

Going back a bit here I was a kid at the time but I recall my dad used to stick his number on with some kind of spray prior to a race (running) I was the one putting it on his back. Just pealed off afterwards and jersey in the wash. At 11 or 12 I always wondered why they all didn't do it.

Going back a bit here I was a kid at the time but I recall my dad used to stick his number on with some kind of spray prior to a race (running) I was the one putting it on his back. Just pealed off afterwards and jersey in the wash. At 11 or 12 I always wondered why they all didn't do it.

Yeah you can get fixes but they'll pull at that we fibres on lycra over time too, you'll find it'll start with little while elastacine (sp?) And cos lycra is so delicate (well my race jerseys are, the regular ones not so much) it'll pull and misshape there pockets over time. I did think there are kinder sprays you can get now, I must look into it and experiment! I'll report back on my findings. I especially hate pinning my skinsuit.
    I also silicone spray my jerseys to make them water repellent in this weather, so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Used a clothing adhesive last year. Worked well. Numbers stayed stuck and peeled away easily enough. Stuck them on when the glue was still a bit wet which meant a painful removal as it had seeped through the ski suit and onto my skin. Getting the adhesive off can be tricky. Goo gone seems to be the go to. I used some wd40 before sticking it in the wash. Just make sure nothing else is in the wash otherwise everything stinks of wd40. Learned that the hard way.

Used a clothing adhesive last year. Worked well. Numbers stayed stuck and peeled away easily enough. Stuck them on when the glue was still a bit wet which meant a painful removal as it had seeped through the ski suit and onto my skin. Getting the adhesive off can be tricky. Goo gone seems to be the go to. I used some wd40 before sticking it in the wash. Just make sure nothing else is in the wash otherwise everything stinks of wd40. Learned that the hard way.

What adhesive did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Threw jersey through the wash with the numbers on after Sunday and it seemed to come out okay. Have not noticed weakness (yet) around the pins. The numbers show a slight fading in the middle where a lot of folding may have occurred during the wash (this is also so slight it have have happened during the race and I just hadn't noticed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Threw jersey through the wash with the numbers on after Sunday and it seemed to come out okay. Have not noticed weakness (yet) around the pins. The numbers show a slight fading in the middle where a lot of folding may have occurred during the wash (this is also so slight it have have happened during the race and I just hadn't noticed)

a buddy of mine washes his jersey with the numbers on all the time... and this guy races 30 races+ a year! :o

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I know of one guy who reportedly used to leave them pinned on for the entire season. Everyone was wondering why they were so faded after a few months until he told them.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

I left the numbers pinned on my race jersey all year and routinely handwashed the jersey after each race last year. Seemed to me to be a gentler / handier approach than lashing it into the washing machine. Mind you I only raced on three occasions in latter half of the year.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

Advertisement