Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch. Worth it?

• 09-03-2018 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Is the switch worth it. The games are very pricey!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

That will really depend on the individual. For me, it was worth every penny, and at this early stage I'd say its on track to being my favourite console of all time. There are plenty of cheaper games available on the digital eshop which are every bit as good, if not better, than full price retail games. The likes of Celeste and Steamworld Dig 2 are gems. Meanwhile, Zelda and Mario Oddysey are games I'll be playing for years, so I'm happy to pay full price for them.

Tldr - In my opinion, absolutely yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Worth every penny.

If they never released another game, I'd have got my money's worth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the Switch is totally worth it. The SNES, PS1 and Xbox 360 were my favourite gaming consoles throughout the past 25 years, but now I reckon the Switch has surpassed or at least matched those already, and I only own a Switch since December. Buy it you won't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Yes

And if the games are pricey, shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

Thanks. I just saw that a 15€ Xbox game was 75€ on the switch. But thanks for all the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There is no switch game that costs 75 quid unless you let it cost you 75 quid. GameStop are not your friend.

Games are generally more expensive on release, independent of when they were released on other platforms.

Good luck hauling your TV and Xbox to the bus / office / toilet / plane.

Etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Banjo wrote: »
    There is no switch game that costs 75 quid unless you let it cost you 75 quid. GameStop are not your friend.

Games are generally more expensive on release, independent of when they were released on other platforms.

Good luck hauling your TV and Xbox to the bus / office / toilet / plane.

Etc etc.

Totally agree. I've only paid full price for 2 games and that was €55. Every other game was €50 or much less. Amazon, eBay and other online retailers are cheap. As are Argos and smyths occasionally. Avoid gamestop. They'll bleed you dry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I thought it wouldnt, ill be honest
    Then i played Stardew for a hundred hours and well Mario Kart is one of the best games you can have for a group of people in the house
    Then i played Zelda and ill admit its been a struggle but you can see its amazing.
    I got Mario of a friend and well its a game that can suck you in for hours without you realising it :o my fave so far
    I feel the switch is the perfect console for indies like Stardew/GolfStory/etc and it has amazing exclusive games
    Now i honestly wouldnt buy certain games for it, like Fifa/NBA its easily worth it for just its exclusive games

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I never really got into indie games before owning a Switch, but now own several and it's the perfect platform to play them on.

Games like Axiom Verge, Steamworld Dig 2, Blossom Tales giving many of the bigger titles a run for their money.

I also recently tried the Dragon Quest Builders demo that is on the eStore and got hooked immediately. After spending more than 4 hours on the demo, I rushed into smyths to buy a physical copy of the game and it's incredibly addictive and really suits the Switch platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mr_Man2121 wrote: »
    Thanks. I just saw that a 15€ Xbox game was 75€ on the switch. But thanks for all the replies :)

Was that Doom? You have to bear in mind that was out 12 months earlier on PS4/Xbox so had plenty of time to fall in price.

I have Switch, One X and PS4. The Switch is being used the most at the moment but I use the X for my online gaming (Overwatch, PUBG) and PS4 for exclusives (HZD, Bloodborne etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Is the switch worth it. The games are very pricey!

It's absolutely worth it. My game time was pretty much 90% on PC now it's about 50/50 PC and Switch. It's an excellent companion console in my opinion but would also be worth it if you don't own any other platforms either.

I even find my self buying indies on Switch even if they cost more just so I can play them wherever and whenever. Sure you'll miss out on some big hitters but Nintendo exclusives and what's already on the eshop more than make up for it in my opinion.

New releases are the same price as what's on Xbox One/PS4 if you're looking in Gamestop, better off buying from the UK where they'll top out at €50/55 from what I've noticed, compared to Ireland.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Was that Doom? You have to bear in mind that was out 12 months earlier on PS4/Xbox so had plenty of time to fall in price.

I have Switch, One X and PS4. The Switch is being used the most at the moment but I use the X for my online gaming (Overwatch, PUBG) and PS4 for exclusives (HZD, Bloodborne etc).

I think it was ultimate chicken horse. And does anyone know if GameStop do used switches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think it was ultimate chicken horse. And does anyone know if GameStop do used switches?

What the hell is Ultimate Chicken Horse :pac:

They do used Switches and they had 25% off for level 3 members recently but not sure if that offer is still running.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    What the hell is Ultimate Chicken Horse :pac:

They do used Switches and they had 25% off for level 3 members recently but not sure if that offer is still running.

Okay thanks ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

590ed145ae653afb9c46a3e2

Advertisement