Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the landlord supply dishes sauspans etc

Options
  • 09-03-2018 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

What exactly needs to be supplied to tenants? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What exactly needs to be supplied to tenants? Thanks

Here’s a download from threshold with all the info

https://www.threshold.ie/download/pdf/minimum_standards_for_rented_accommodation.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

All the charity shops have crockery and cookware and if all comes to all the St. Vincent de Paul will source some for you.
    Mismatched plates and bowls are very in vogue and it can be good crack picking up stuff.
    Haggle with the volunteer because there’s really cheap stuff too in Dunnes, although I’d rather good quality 2nd hand then cheap new rubbish .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No if it's unfurnished.

But if the place is being let furnished then you SHOULD provide basic cookware eg a couple of saucepans, a grill pan a frypan and a servivg spoon and fish flap. Not legally required but IMHO the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I bring my own. They're cheap enough in Dunne's/Ikea and I know where they have been!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

splinter65 wrote: »
    All the charity shops have crockery and cookware and if all comes to all the St. Vincent de Paul will source some for you.
    Mismatched plates and bowls are very in vogue and it can be good crack picking up stuff.
    Haggle with the volunteer because there’s really cheap stuff too in Dunnes, although I’d rather good quality 2nd hand then cheap new rubbish .

Haggling in a charity shop where stuff is practically given away anyhow? F*ck me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Haggling in a charity shop where stuff is practically given away anyhow? F*ck me

When was the last time you were in a charity shop?

They ALL haggle. That is near on 100% of the profile of customer going in to those shops. They have to get a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

myshirt wrote: »
    When was the last time you were in a charity shop?

Very recently, got some books for my son. Think they worked out less than a euro each

I didn't haggle, in fact I rounded the bill up to the nearest fiver with it being a charity shop

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No if it's unfurnished.

But if the place is being let furnished then you SHOULD provide basic cookware eg a couple of saucepans, a grill pan a frypan and a servivg spoon and fish flap. Not legally required but IMHO the right thing to do.
    It's not required by law and it;s not the practice in the market. As a tenant moving in you'll occasionally score a pot, pan or casserole abandoned by a previous tenant, and not removed by the landlord but, to be honest, there's usually a good reason why the previous tenant abandoned it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Normal practice is for a tenant to supply their own cooking utensils, crockery and delf and nine times out of ten- if it is there its put in a cardboard box and put away- and the tenant goes and gets their own stuff anyway. Tenants- the same as anyone else- would rather use their own utensils (in the main). Of course there will be exceptions- such as short term lets- where everything would definitely be supplied (and used) but for a regular tenancy- its not the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You might be surprised at how some charity shops price things these days.

Prices have increased a lot of the the rate of inflation on certain goods over the last ten years. For at least some of the shops, people who need charity are given vouchers to use there, others are expected to pay regular 2nd-hand shop prices.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's not required by law and it;s not the practice in the market. As a tenant moving in you'll occasionally score a pot, pan or casserole abandoned by a previous tenant, and not removed by the landlord but, to be honest, there's usually a good reason why the previous tenant abandoned it.

I'd disagree, from my experience the majority or rentals come with a full set of cutlery, cookware, pots and pans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

My landlady provided a full set of dishes and pots and pans and such, but it was honestly quite unexpected (though certainly handy, as I'd moved from overseas and didn't have any of my own anyway). If I was moving locally, though, I'd have probably had my own stuff and then it would have just been more items to have to try to squeeze into the cupboards or pack away somewhere. Also, now I feel kinda bad if I accidentally break a dish, since it ain't actually mine. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Prices have increased a lot of the the rate of inflation on certain goods over the last ten years. For at least some of the shops, people who need charity are given vouchers to use there, others are expected to pay regular 2nd-hand shop prices.

I think you're glossing over the most important word there so FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I used to supply most everything for the kitchen, now it's just minimum standards. As others have said I found most people brought their own stuff and mine ended up in a box at the back of a cupboard.

But bigger problems occurred when they were used. Odd plates mixed among an expensive dinner set, requiring a new set when the tenant left. Pots burned out. Or worse when two pots were once used as dog bowls down the end of the garden. Arguing with a tenant that stayed three months when they signed for twelve that a expensive saucepan that was new three months ago but now had chewed handle wasn't fair wear and tear. It just became too much of a pain.

The least supplied, the less hassle for both parties in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I'd disagree, from my experience the majority or rentals come with a full set of cutlery, cookware, pots and pans etc.

That’s generally just detritus left behind by previous tenants.

I’ve had to buy things for most of my rentals. Houseshares not so much because the merry-go-round of former housemates usually results in a full compliment of cookware, crockery and utensils. But it’s not the norm for landlords to supply that stuff. Why would they? There’s no requirement and it stuff a tenant can easy carry from rental to rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very recently, got some books for my son. Think they worked out less than a euro each

I didn't haggle, in fact I rounded the bill up to the nearest fiver with it being a charity shop

V de Paul where I live have 5 paperbacks for a euro. Hospice shop down the road have books at a euro each....

Many charity shops reduce prices if you buy more than one item

Most rentals have oddments of crockery etc. This one didn't and it caught me out until I could unpack

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Agree. I was shocked at some prices. V de Paul is the exception.

Advertisement