Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critical Skills for Science - Opinions from Past Students?

• 10-03-2018 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I'm taking the Cert in Science course at the moment and have sent in my CAO for this year, and would like to hear from anyone who took Critical Skills for Science in their first year. Did you find it useful and worthwhile, or did you end up wishing you'd taken on a 'proper' subject instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 skai527

Hi, I'm posting this as it might be of use to somebody else looking for any info about critical skills. I couldn't find anything when I was surfing the internet last year.
    I would say this - you'd hate critical skills if you're not very good with essays. This is the only reason to take a science subject instead.
    If you don't mind essays - definitely go for Critical Skills.
    I picked Design Thinking and Problem Solving. You can do pretty well in it if you have even a tiny bit of creativity. The annoying part of any stream of Cr. Skills is teamwork. The mark is shared between members of the team. BUT most people don't give a **** and you have to use your best meditation skills not to act like a psycho when somebody doesn't do their part of the project.

SO, to sum it all up:
    1. It's only your 1st year, no need to make it over complicated, you'll need to balance other workload. Subjects you choose to do in your first year DO NOT really matter. It's the 4th year, that weights the most. Make it easier for yourself where possible.
    2. If you're choosing a science subject, be prepared it's gonna require more time than critical skills, unless you're a science geek and you can do your weekly homework in 20 min. In this case, doing Critical Skills would be a mistake. Most science subjects have labs, tutorials and weekly assignments apart from the lectures. It's a lot of time. Keep that in mind.
    3. Be wise when choosing which one of the critical skills modules you're going to do. Some lecturers give more work, some less. Go to a couple of those you're interested in and you're gonna make the right decision. You can change your stream up to 1 month I think.

Hope this helps.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SionnachOghma

I'm pretty good with essays so far, although the ones expected of me in Academic Skills for the cert course were of a much lower standard than what will be required at degree level. Still; I got close to top marks for everything in AC skills, and I write as a hobby, so I'm not worried about that part.

I got into Physics with Astrophysics, so if I'm not a science geek at this point I'm in BIIIIIG trouble :eek:. I'm thinking of doing the Critical Skills for Science, of which the modules are 'Uncovering Scientific Evidence' and 'Presenting Science'. Having gone over the way other subjects can and can't be combined due to timetable clashes etc, as well as the insane amount of work involved if I take on another full subject, I'm more or less decided. Dealing with an unhelpful team is likely to grate on me - diplomatic, I am not - but I'll be happy if I've done my end, and the modules are relevant for me, as I'd like to be able to effectively communicate science to the public.

Now the big decision is: Chemistry or Mathematical (Theoretical) Physics? Factors to consider include 'How much sleep do I really need?' and 'How much do I hate myself?' :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 skai527

Never met anybody who did those streams of Cr. Skills, so can't give any advise. You're not in big trouble for choosing Physics, just be prepared to manage your time wisely. But that's just common sense I guess, if you want to do well:)

My groupmate did Maths Physics last year and he absolutely hated it. With saying that, I must mention that he is brilliant when it comes to maths, a very bright mind! But from his words, the lecturer in MP is not the greatest, he teaches it very badly from what I've heard. Don't know his name either, maybe you're gonna get a different lecturer. But anyways, my groupmate's got the lowest mark in this module but he would hate to do critical skills xD. But yeah, it's up to you of course. Best of luck with your degree! :D

Advertisement