Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Parkside 16v cordless drill

Options
  • 10-03-2018 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

If you have purchased a Parkside 16v cordless drill from Lidl, Please note the item you are buying is a drill, the battery is (according to Lidl) "an accessory".
    The battery life in the item "I" purchased was extremely poor and is not covered by the 3 year warranty (after the 28 day refund period) E 39.99 Down the drain "in my opinion".
    Before posting I checked on boards.ie and found that I am not the only person that has had a problem with this product.

The above information was given to me when "I" phoned Lidl customer service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

And this is based on what expertise you have? And proof of the battery issue?

Please don't say "you saw it on the Internet so it must be trye"

If there's a verifiable fault in a consumer product you have a lot more than 28 days to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CYGNUS

That's my point, the battery is not part of the purchase, Lidl say it is a "free accessory" and therefore not covered by warranty. I can state this from my own personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

CeilingFly wrote: »
    And this is based on what expertise you have? And proof of the battery issue?

Please don't say "you saw it on the Internet so it must be trye"

If there's a verifiable fault in a consumer product you have a lot more than 28 days to return it.

But can you return something that was given to you for free?

Apparently not. Lidl say the battery is an accessory and not covered by the 3 year guarantee. I have the drill less than 1 year. They also say too much or too little charging of the battery can damage it. I am just trying to warn people of the pitfalls connected to this product. Thanks for your comment

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This "free" business sounds very odd, maybe the person in Lidl was mistakenly wording it wrong.

The usual wording would be simply that the battery is not covered by warranty. They are consumable items, expected to run down with use. If mine went on fire the next day I would expect it to be covered. I would like to see the thread you mention about the exploding one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

A battery, even a rechargeable battery is considered a replaceable consumable item. Similar to tyres on a car or toner in a printer

On a cheap drill the battery will drop off in power over time, esp if not charged correctly.

To put up a sensationalist hysterical post telling people to rush to get refunds and then to use scaremongering bs that the battery will explode is utterly ott - more suited to a rag like the daily muck or other fake news tabloid.

My intention is to make people aware of my experience with the response I got from Lidl concerning this product. When searching Boards.ie (before posting) I saw the "other post" about the battery.
    If I scared anyone by mentioning the "other post" and I apologize, that was not my intention.
    I will now edit the post in question, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

rubadub wrote: »
    This "free" business sounds very odd, maybe the person in Lidl was mistakenly wording it wrong.

The usual wording would be simply that the battery is not covered by warranty. They are consumable items, expected to run down with use. If mine went on fire the next day I would expect it to be covered. I would like to see the thread you mention about the exploding one.

Please see the private message I sent you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Batteries are always exempt from the headline cover of the actual item, same with your mobile phone, it's a consumable.

Advertisement