Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our Eurovision Entry.

• 10-03-2018 8:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭

Not a bad little number. Not to be accused of cynicism but the gay angle is a definite winner https://youtu.be/H8Ej65k_caA.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I still think we should go with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

kneemos wrote: »
    Not a bad little number. Not to be accused of cynicism but the gay angle is a definite winner https://youtu.be/H8Ej65k_caA.

How can they show off the gayness on the live performance? It'll just be a dreary song on a big stage.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Why can't we just go with a Johnny Logan/Enya combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

How can they show off the gayness on the live performance?

Backing singers drop the hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm sure the lads are great and all the rest, but the Eurovision is some pile of pish.

I mean, seriously most of what's entered is absolute rubbish, go on, sit down and listen to a decent album from from the likes of Fleetwood Mac, Dire straits, Queen or ACDC (as examples) - the lyrics, the riffs, the melodies, the performances and then compare it with some of the cheesefest that does get trotted out at the Eurovision.

Not only that, but the comps become corrupt as fcuk into the bargain.

/shakes fist at cloud, pours a sup of whisky in his coffee and goes back to bed.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ed Sheeran esque softcock tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not only that, but the comps become corrupt as fcuk into the bargain.

/shakes fist at cloud, pours a sup of whisky in his coffee and goes back to bed.:mad:
    That is just BS generally the best songs do really well, do you actually watch it? we have done appalling recently because we send muck.

There was a lot of talk of rte sending heather's I am not a fan at all but they would have been better then this dross.

What's a heather?

gmisk wrote: »
    That is just BS generally the best songs do really well, do you actually watch it? we have done appalling recently because we send muck.

There was a lot of talk of rte sending heather's I am not a fan at all but they would have been better then this dross.

Google Balkans voting bloc.

And we might have sent muck, I'm not denying that, but the rest was muck also.

Can you give me an example of a decent Eurovision song from the last decade that you would be happy to have playing in the background of your gaff while getting ready for q night on the town?

Serious question btw.

I mean, seriously most of what's entered is absolute rubbish, go on, sit down and listen to a decent album from from the likes of Fleetwood Mac, Dire straits, Queen or ACDC (as examples) - the lyrics, the riffs, the melodies, the performances and then compare it with some of the cheesefest that does get trotted out at the Eurovision.
    Ah yeah give us a use of your time machine when you are done with it, when is the last time some of those bands released anything new and decent lol, queen in particular jesus they havent released anything new since the mid 90s and are now touring with a front man who would be perfectly at home on eurovision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's ****e,but run of the mill ****e rather than Eurovision ****e,which equates to not a bad effort.

Google Balkans voting bloc.

And we might have sent muck, I'm not denying that, but the rest was muck also.

Can you give me an example of a decent Eurovision song from the last decade that you would be happy to have playing in the background of your gaff while getting ready for q night on the town?

Serious question btw.
    Neighbours all tend to vote for each other, but it doesn't generally effect the winner sure Sweden have won a lot recently, australia have done really well too, last year's winner Portugal etc, generally the best songs do well and win.

Recent songs I have liked
    Euphoria, fairytale, teardrops, silent storm, city lights, skeletons,if love was a crime, I can think of a few more, they are mostly Scandi countries tbh and all have done really well.

Ah yeah give us a use of your time machine when you are done with it, when is the last time some of those bands released anything new and decent lol, queen in particular jesus they havent released anything new since the mid 90s and are now touring with a front man who would be perfectly at home on eurovision

I haven't a clue whose touring with queen now, because I'm referring to the band back in their prime, Bonn Scott died while I was still in nappies, and most of what Fleetwood Mac produced was released before I was born.

But alas, I think you missed the point anyway.

Can you give me an example of a Eurovision winning song from the last decade that you'd happily listen to for decades to come?

I'm open minded when it comes to music and am ready to give it a listen btw.

I haven't a clue whose touring with queen now, because I'm referring to the band back in their prime, Bonn Scott died while I was still in nappies, and most of what Fleetwood Mac produced was released before I was born.

But alas, I think you missed the point anyway.

Can you give me an example of a Eurovision winning song from the last decade that you'd happily listen to for decades to come?

I'm open minded when it comes to music and am ready to give it a listen btw.
    I get your point entirely,and I listed some recent songs I have liked. I too like a wide range of music and go to gigs a lot.

Eurovision has in general always been throwaway pop acts since it started so I don't think you are comparing like with like. Ireland haven't sent anything deserving to do well for a very long time and this year is no exception. I find it a lot of fun though and have been a few times., But like most people don't take it too seriously :)

Btw i have seen Fleetwood Mac live twice.... with my mum and loved them :). I grew up on that kind of music along with queen, the Beatles, the eagles, Neil young etc so I do get what your saying.

I also don't think any bands plays live instruments at eurovision...which doesn't exactly encourage real acts to enter....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sweden will always do well. Some of the World's top pop writers are Swedish. Ireland won't win & will struggle to qualify as long as the same Euro hasbeens & RTE are involved. We blame the voting but we just don't take the event seriously & don't send a Eurovision song.

Discodog wrote: »
    Sweden will always do well. Some of the World's top pop writers are Swedish. Ireland won't win & will struggle to qualify as long as the same Euro hasbeens & RTE are involved. We blame the voting but we just don't take the event seriously & don't send a Eurovision song.

The state that RTE is in these days .. winning the Eurovision would seriously curtail a lot of live broadcasts next year due to budgetary cutbacks that would have to be made.
    Keep sending dross...we can't afford to win.

The state that RTE is in these days .. winning the Eurovision would seriously curtail a lot of live broadcasts next year due to budgetary cutbacks that would have to be made.
    Keep sending dross...we can't afford to win.

I have been thinking the same for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Is that the Heathers who done the Bord Failte ad soundtrack, well fcuk me, i gotta get away, gotta get away. :eek:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Meh, it sounds like a million other current songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Discodog wrote: »
    Ireland won't win & will struggle to qualify as long as the same Euro hasbeens & RTE are involved.
    A guy I know is a huge metal fan. He also, believe it or not, is a Eurovision nerd.

He was telling me about an Irish metal band that entered You're A Star, or whatever it was called, one year.

The "expert" judges were the likes of Linda Martin, Louis Walsh and Brendan O'Connor.

The band dressed up in outlandish outfits, with face paint and a hard rock attitude.

The RTE judges told them that they were not Eurovision material and basically laughed at them. Imagine sending a metal band to Eurovision? We have to find a guy in a suit to sing a bland ballad!

In the end Brian Kennedy was picked, with a typical bland Irish ballad which came nowhere.

The winners that year were Finnish metal band Lordi, dressed up in even more outlandish costumes, and presenting a hard rock attitude.

The Irish metal band would not have won the Eurovision I imagine, but it just goes to show the closed-mindedness of the RTE selection process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Is that the Heathers who done the Bord Failte ad soundtrack, well fcuk me, i gotta get away, gotta get away. :eek:

A pound shop Tegan & Sara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

kneemos wrote: »

That has got to be one of the funniest/most bizarre videos I have ever seen:D:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I don’t enjoy Eurovision but have no problem with others liking it. But what I can’t get over is the column inches in the UK and Ireland devoted to hand-wringing about doing badly every single year like as if it’s an important issue and not a kitsch singing competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

We are not going to get many votes due to being a little island off the coast of Europe who nobody cares about. If U2, Enya or Van Morrison were sent we would still finish close to the bottom.

A pound shop Tegan & Sara

Totally agree...but still think anything they do would be a step up from this year's muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

They will never forgive us for Dustin. But as other posters have said we would struggle to qualify even with a great song. It of course does not help that this years song sucks.
    But the UK and Ireland should pull out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

UK finds it difficult to pull out of things.

They will never forgive us for Dustin. But as other posters have said we would struggle to qualify even with a great song. It of course does not help that this years song sucks.

I never understood the Dustin idea. But Ireland & Irish music are liked in Europe. We will win again but not until the Logans, Martins etc are forgotten. There are some very successful writers here but none of them would touch Eurovision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

What's a heather?

Not a Veronica anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Not sure how a gay angle will go over well with notoriously homophobic eastern European countries block voting together.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That is abysmal. Awful lyrics, awful high pitched singing.

We should send Dustin again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Onymlifestyle

Good luck! :)

It's an improvement on the past two years but it's still not gonna stand out and grab Europe's attention. It's pleasant but a bit bland. Ireland is in a very tough semi-final this year and sadly I don't see it making the final. :(
    We are not going to get many votes due to being a little island off the coast of Europe who nobody cares about. If U2, Enya or Van Morrison were sent we would still finish close to the bottom.

And this crap attitude is why we continue to do so poorly.

Look at who won last year. In 50 or 60 previous attempts Portugal had never even finished in the top five. And yet, despite their terrible record and their lack of neighbours to vote for them, they managed to win simply by sending a strong, well-composed, well-sung entry that people across Europe responded to.

Also look at countries such as Belgium, The Netherlands and Austria, who have had very successful recent entries after many, many years of doing terribly. Germany won in 2010 for only the second time in their history. Finland won in 2006 for the first time ever

We have great musical talent in this country and if we took Eurovision seriously we could easily be hitting the Top Ten again, and even get back to winning ways.

But of course it's much easier to bitch and moan about how crap Eurovision is, how it's all bloc-voting, how it's all Eastern Europe (Despite only three of the past ten winners coming from Eastern European countries). :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Seems like a lovely chap and best of luck to him.

However, there is very little going on in that song that distinguishes it from countless others that all sound quite similar. One week after the Eurovision, it will be forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Onymlifestyle

mzungu wrote: »
    Seems like a lovely chap and best of luck to him.

However, there is very little going on in that song that distinguishes it from countless others that all sound quite similar. One week after the Eurovision, it will be forgotten about.

Agree 100% with all! Eurovision has lost meaning of it tbh! Best thing for me on eurovision is voting :P

It's an improvement on the past two years but it's still not gonna stand out and grab Europe's attention. It's pleasant but a bit bland. Ireland is in a very tough semi-final this year and sadly I don't see it making the final. :(

Look at who won last year. In 50 or 60 previous attempts Portugal had never even finished in the top five. And yet, despite their terrible record and their lack of neighbours to vote for them, they managed to win simply by sending a strong, well-composed, well-sung entry that people across Europe responded to.

Also look at countries such as Belgium, The Netherlands and Austria, who have had very successful recent entries after many, many years of doing terribly. Germany won in 2010 for only the second time in their history. Finland won in 2006 for the first time ever

We have great musical talent in this country and if we took Eurovision seriously we could easily be hitting the Top Ten again, and even get back to winning ways.

But of course it's much easier to bitch and moan about how crap Eurovision is, how it's all bloc-voting, how it's all Eastern Europe (Despite only three of the past ten winners coming from Eastern European countries). :rolleyes:
    But people do seem to take it seriously, that's the problem!! :D

I agree with you. But this year's entry is dire, really dire. It's like a funeral dirge rather than a song of love or celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

I've had more memorable farts

*gets misty eyed*

I exhaled through my nose just a little extra on reading that. Great adjective :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

any chance the other countries could get behind us because of this whole Brexit thing? and the gay thing, and the marriage thing ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There's a lot of love for the song / video on Youtube which is very encouraging. People are being hasty in dismissing it, I'd say this is the strongest Irish entry in four or five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Not bad but pretty bland imo with very little chance of winning..
    I don't think its memorable enough to win, usually the winners are weird/remarkable and catchy even if they may not be of great quality

Strazdas wrote: »
    There's a lot of love for the song / video on Youtube which is very encouraging. People are being hasty in dismissing it, I'd say this is the strongest Irish entry in four or five years.

No haste, its elevator music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Also why are eurovision songs so bad on average? Do the contestants not use the same kind of equipment or studios or whatever that top of the pops and all the famous chart singers use to make catchy songs? Theres barely been a song come out of eurovision out of the many years its been on that would stand a chance of maintaining a position on the worlds Top 100 most popular songs at any given moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well that's a song that's forgettable before it's even finished playing.

But that's not what's important, what's important is that a load of RTE gob****es get to go on a jolly to Lisbon all expenses (at the taxpayers expense) paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

wakka12 wrote: »
    Not bad but pretty bland imo with very little chance of winning..
    I don't think its memorable enough to win, usually the winners are weird/remarkable and catchy even if they may not be of great quality

I don't agree that it's bland. It's not the most original of songs but it's well produced and well sung and has a lot of nice elements. I don't think anyone would be expecting us to actually win with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

wakka12 wrote: »
    Theres barely been a song come out of eurovision out of the many years its been on that would stand a chance of maintaining a position on the worlds Top 100 most popular songs at any given moment

• Advertisement
Advertisement