Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in Greater London/Liverpool City

• 10-03-2018 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am a young newly qualified Irish secondary teacher looking for some tips on teaching outside London i.e. Reading or Liverpool City. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience on this or would be able to give me some pointers about either/both with regards salary, rent, behaviour etc.
    Lucy ☺

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moving this to a more suitable forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Maybe try the community forum on the TES website too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 german.grinds

Hi, I've been teaching in London for the past 3 years, however trained over here as well, so can't compare it to the Irish system. Finding a job should be relatively easy depending on your subjects, as there is a major shortage of teachers here. I'd recommend not going through an agency, search for jobs on tes.com and apply to the school directly. Rent in London can be challenging, especially in your first year or two, aim to live slightly further out and you should get a room in a house share from between £550 to £650 a month as long as you're not too fussy. Behaviour varies from school to school, and will depend on many different factors. The school I work in can be mixed, 90% of pupils are quite nice but the other 10% certainly make their presence known at times-it will all depend on what policies your school have in place. 
    I do think teaching here is excellent experience, with promotions easily available for good candidates which then making living in London that bit more affordable. If you have any specific questions, just comment and I will reply.

Advertisement