Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter om the N4

Options
  • 10-03-2018 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

This week I travelled from Sligo to Kilkenny via Mullingar and athlone, Down south all the roads, highways and byways were litter free.

However once I got back onto Sligo county roads and on the Sligo bypass the level of litter, plastic bags and bottles along the entire route is shocking. And I mean shocking.

What I want to know is who is responsible for maintaining these roads? It goes without saying people should bring their rubbish home in the first instance, but this clearly is not happening.

The view of ben bulben is ruined by the litter all along the roads coming into Sligo. Same for leaving.

Can nothing be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Same on sligo-dromahair road and on any other roads as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Put up cameras and fine them.

The state of some of the roads is terrible.

We should be looking to penalize the litterer.

The road to Manorhamilton is filthy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jordi1910

I don't know if this is tradition before Easter, but I spotted plenty of people working to clean roads and shoulders. Yesterday in Colloney area and today beside the road between Ballysadare and Temoleboy. I'm very frustrated seeing how many big bags of rubbish they collected - plastic bottles, cans, bags...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Jordi1910 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is tradition before Easter, but I spotted plenty of people working to clean roads and shoulders. Yesterday in Colloney area and today beside the road between Ballysadare and Temoleboy. I'm very frustrated seeing how many big bags of rubbish they collected - plastic bottles, cans, bags...

we are thankful to them, most probably a volunteer kind of project - but 2 issues are, people should be taking their rubbish home with them the filthy animals and 2.) should it not be a job for sligo coco parks and recreation departments to keep all these areas clean and tidy on a regular basis and not rely on volunteer cleanups?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Jordi1910 wrote: »

Good Friday clean up!

• Advertisement

should it not be a job for sligo coco parks and recreation departments to keep all these areas clean and tidy on a regular basis and not rely on volunteer cleanups?

THis is the problem, people think they can toss rubbish out of their car and the coco will tidy up after them.

The cost to the coco and in rates and of course the danger you are putting the employees to is unacceptable.

dingding wrote: »
    THis is the problem, people think they can toss rubbish out of their car and the coco will tidy up after them.

The cost to the coco and in rates and of course the danger you are putting the employees to is unacceptable.

but leaving it to groups of volunteers & putting general public volunteers in danger is acceptable?

but leaving it to groups of volunteers & putting general public volunteers in danger is acceptable?

I doubt the volunteers were on the dual carriageway / 100kph without proper traffic management in place.

If they were it is highly irresponsible and they should have been removed by the Gardai or the council.

I saw one fellow cutting grass on the M4 on the motorway section and there were two trucks in the hard shoulder providing protection.

am thinking years and years ago litter removal from roads/verges areas would have been done by the county* council?

but plus more and more people maybe took their litter home, and maybe there was less plastic about?

and also (and I am no way condoning littering the countryside because of it or pardoning people who do it or using it as an excuse) but I am predicting rubbish collection or disposal was not as expensive as it is today and was so much less hassle, *all* your rubbish went in 1 bin and didnt have to be washed beforehand!

EDIT: *am think that if a cleanup organistation wanted to go out and clean up rubbish the council/authorities would have actually stopped them and said your not insured / cannot because of health and safety and that you have to be an employee of the council to clean up on council property. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

A council worker literally died working at the side of the N4 in Sligo a couple of years back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement