Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use this Phone in Ireland?

Options
  • 10-03-2018 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Thinking of buying the Motorola Moto G5S off of Amazon, and its product title is this:
    "Motorola Moto G5S 32GB UK Sim Free Smartphone"

My question is:

"Would I have to unlock this phone to use it with the "3 Ireland" network?
    Or would it work without any issues"

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

Sim Free usually means it is not locked to any network, so should work with any sim you put in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Umbra

corkie wrote: »
    Sim Free usually means it is not locked to any network, so should work with any sim you put in it!

I'm just curious as to whether or not it is Sim Free for UK networks only, surly sim free means you can put any sim in regardless of country (if the phone is the European model)?

Upon further investigation (Amazon Customer Questions) I have found that:

The Motorola Moto G5S (from Amazon UK) can be used in Ireland

Case closed,

Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MurmanskRun

Glad you're sorted, Umbra :) I was midway through this somewhat related reply...

Two or three years ago, I popped into a Vodafone shop in Belfast to enquire as to whether I could simply pop a Vodafone UK PAYG sim card into my old out-of-contract Vodafone IRL-locked HTC 8 (Man, I loved that phone).

Nope, they said.

I didn't follow up the reasons why, but have always wondered if I was being played.

Glad you're sorted, Umbra :) I was midway through this somewhat related reply...

Two or three years ago, I popped into a Vodafone shop in Belfast to enquire as to whether I could simply pop a Vodafone UK PAYG sim card into my old out-of-contract Vodafone IRL-locked HTC 8 (Man, I loved that phone).

Nope, they said.

I didn't follow up the reasons why, but have always wondered if I was being played.

That was the kind of stuff I was being wary about, I had a similar issue a good few years back. I bought a Vodafone Branded phone in the UK, brought it over to Ireland to find that I could only use a UK Vodafone sim, and the phone could not be unlocked! Why they do that kind of thing boggles me!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement