Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest distance day trip from Dublin for a passenger

Options
  • 10-03-2018 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I've gone to Barcelona for the day. Not on the same aircraft both ways though.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

We have a start. Any advance on Barcelona?

I did an Alicante day trip once on the same plane. JetGreen (op by Icelandair) on their first day of operations. They lasted a week. Check in in ALC was closed when we got there (the message about returning pax wasn’t relayed down the line) but we got it sorted out.

It was funny that on the outbound a Jet Green crew and an Icelandair crew both tried to work the cabin, with a meal service from the front, and a bar service from the back. They refused to talk to each other, blocked each other in the middle, and refused to move. (On the return the Icelandic crew sat down in the many empty seats and let the Irish get on with it)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Damn. Was gonna mention the Concorde Cannonball until i saw Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

I went on the 9am flight to Newark once , arrived there at 11.45am , went across to Jersey Gardens , made some purchases and returned on the evening flight arriving back into Dublin at 7am the next morning . Not exactly a day-trip but got to the US and back in 22 hours and the savings I made on my purchases covered the cost of the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've looked into this a little but decided to do it without playing around with timezones.

The best you could do back then was...

Dublin - Lanzarote with Ryanair, early flight.

Get the bus into Arecife, go for a walk, have a drink and a meal.

Lanzarote - Dublin with Aer Lingus, late flight gets in around 11pm.

Done!

Schedules and carrier may have changed, but I believe thats the best you could do.

Technically you could do LAX and SFO in a day just ;)

105 mins on the ground at LAX and yes if pre-cleared in Dublin you arrive as a domestic passenger so just walk up the airbridge , grab a snack and board again at the same gate. You would already have been TSA screened at Dublin.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Should be possible at all EI US destinations to do a turnaround.

For BOS, JFK, ORD, SFO it certainly works

Now for some real fun, ask the check in agent to check you in for the return while in Dublin...

The poor CBP staff will be confused, so 'mileage run'

Almost went to New York for lunch once...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I suppose I took the question to mean that you would actually spend some time somewhere, if so I’d say the Canary island example above would be hard to beat.

Correct and that applies to all pre-cleared flights from Dublin.

I've managed depart Dublin, have mid morning coffee in Brussels, have lunch in Paris, climb the Efflel tower, have a meal in London and still be back home in Dublin by 11pm

In all cases I left the airport for the city centre...

Would you enough time to get back around the whole check in/security apparatus before the AC leaves again?

I’d imagine you could and still have time for a three course meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Do explain. I am interested.

People were able todo the Concorde Cannonball - leave LHR at 1030, get to JFK at 0920. Do the days business . Leave JFK at 1325 arrive LHR at 2225 (ish).

I very nearly pulled the trigger on it once, you have to use two carriers and it is a bit indulgent on the pricing side.

You'd get about 3 - 4 hours in Arecife (theres a bus from the airport) for 8 hours of flying.

The only reason I looked into it was a few friends of mine day-tripped Frankfurt and I wanted to do better than them.

Edit; Might be one to consider if a few tier points are needed and I'm sick of going to London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Done Madrid before, left Dublin at around 06:00 (not 100% sure i can remember correct times), got into Madrid at around 09:30 madrid time, straight to my Aunties bar, seen the family, went to see their new gaff just outside, she took me to the tobacconist where i crammed me case full and got the 20:00 flight back.

Bolloxed we were

I've managed depart Dublin, have mid morning coffee in Brussels, have lunch in Paris, climb the Efflel tower, have a meal in London and still be back home in Dublin by 11pm

In all cases I left the airport for the city centre...

That’s class, would you have a rough idea of the timings?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That beardy celtic tiger property tycoon would have a few great stories for this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

If you'll forgive a little thread drift, I *have* travelled to South Africa for a three day weekend. Flew after work on Thursday, in country Fri/Sat/Sun, went straight from airport to work on Monday morning. I was younger then.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    That’s class, would you have a rough idea of the timings?

0640 DUB BRU with EI
    1130 train from Brussels Midi to Paris Nord
    1600 train from Paris Nord to St Pancras
    2045 LHR DUB with EI

Impossible to fly if you want to go downtown

I've done day trips to London, Paris, Dusseldorf, Berlin. Also managed to sit on the same seat on the same aircraft next sector. Done Dublin - London LGW - city for meeting - LCY - AMS for dinner

With a bit of planning you can cover a lot of ground very quickly in central Europe

0640 DUB BRU with EI
    2045 LHR DUB with EI

Impossible to fly if you want to go downtown

I've done day trips to London, Paris, Dusseldorf, Berlin. Also managed to sit on the same seat on the same aircraft next sector. Done Dublin - London LGW - city for meeting - LCY - AMS for dinner

With a bit of planning you can cover a lot of ground very quickly in central Europe

About an hour to wander in each city?

0640 DUB BRU with EI
    2045 LHR DUB with EI

All looks good but Pancras to Heathrow must have been a rotter at that stage. Probably a late Ryanair from Stansted would have been more time efficient, but Stansted is awful.

I've done plenty of daytrips to the UK over the years... Liverpool, Manchester, Brighton, London. I found London the tough one as the transport into the city takes so long. My fav was always Brighton, you used to get about 10 - 11 hours in Brighton for about a €40 daytrip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Done the Brighton one for football many times. If you're lucky with the bus in LGW you can be on the train sub 15mins after landing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

All looks good but Pancras to Heathrow must have been a rotter at that stage. Probably a late Ryanair from Stansted would have been more time efficient, but Stansted is awful.

I've done plenty of daytrips to the UK over the years... Liverpool, Manchester, Brighton, London. I found London the tough one as the transport into the city takes so long. My fav was always Brighton, you used to get about 10 - 11 hours in Brighton for about a €40 daytrip :D

St Pancras to LHR would be simple.

With handbaggage only, and the close proximity of EI gates to security at LHR T2, it wouldn’t be too bad. Arriving into St Pancras at 17:30ish you would have time to grab a quick meal and get the Heathrow Express at 19:25 from Paddington and comfortably make that flight.

• Advertisement

Oh of course, Express or Connect. I'd use Piccadilly Line for savings... which would be a sickener of a trip at that time of night.

Advertisement