Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest distance day trip from Dublin for a passenger

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭useless

I did DUB-WAW in a day last year. Early direct flight with EI, arrived around 0930, a days work then a BA flight around 1700 to LHR to connect with the last EI flight to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The new Ryanair timings for Dublin-Munich now have a 6.10am in the morning, arriving at 9.40am local time and the evening is 9.10pm local time getting back to Ireland for 10.40pm.

Similar to lads heading to England for a Premier League day trip, that would mean a Bundesliga Saturday afternoon 3.30pm kick off for Bayern Munich would also be comfortably doable as a day trip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Munich sucks though as its 40 minutes by train to get downtown (major engineering works going to mess that up between now and September) and the security/passport queue in T1 MUC can vary from 0 to 90 minutes depending on its mood

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Munich sucks though as its 40 minutes by train to get downtown (major engineering works going to mess that up between now and September) and the security/passport queue in T1 MUC can vary from 0 to 90 minutes depending on its mood
    I agree , passport control in T1 is a shambles , they've now installed self-service gates which are slow enough but I was travelling with my 15 year old son to a game in the Allianz Arena so had to queue up for a manual check in the Non EU queue , total shambles.
    At least I now know that when travelling to MUC with Ryanair the trick to get to the top of the passport control queue is to get seated towards the front of the aircraft and hop on the 1st bus to the terminal , standing near the rear right hand door as this is opened first.

Arrival is actually fine since the gates went in two years ago. Once you are quick to get there before the herd.

Coming back especially in the morning it can be painful, I've taken 75 minutes to get through passport + security, I got wise and came 10 minutes earlier the next time and was through in 40 minutes.

The train is actually 45 minutes... The route via Neufahrn will be closed over the Summer so it will get ugly on the train as everyone will have to go via Ost Bahnhof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Is Terminal 2 at Munich any better for security/passport queue times?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

VG31 wrote: »
    Is Terminal 2 at Munich any better for security/passport queue times?
    Of the three carriers on the DUB - MUC route , only Lufthansa use T2. Last time I used it I was more or less straight through , although this can all depend on the volume of passengers arriving at same time as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Technically not a day trip total, but a few years back for work I did DUB-LHR-SIN, leaving DUB 06:30 Sunday, arriving Monday 06:05 local, day in the office, dinner and drinks in the Marina Bay Sands and midnight departure SIN-LHR-DUB, landed back in Dublin 09:10 Tuesday.

I wasnt right for about a month after it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Amsterdam is a GREAT one for a day trip. Both AL, Ryanair and KLM all serving it. 15 minutes by train to the city center, the only trouble I had was getting the railway ticket did not seem as straightforward as it could have been.

Did eight hours in Amsterdam, plenty of food and drink and a lot of walking. Nabbed it for a €20 daytrip when Ryanair launched the route :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Technically not a day trip total, but a few years back for work I did DUB-LHR-SIN, leaving DUB 06:30 Sunday, arriving Monday 06:05 local, day in the office, dinner and drinks in the Marina Bay Sands and midnight departure SIN-LHR-DUB, landed back in Dublin 09:10 Tuesday.

Yegads.

I do regular DUB-DXB-SIN-DXB-DUB runs stretched over a week, and those destroy me.

I bow to you, sir.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Noxegon wrote: »
    Yegads.

I do regular DUB-DXB-SIN-DXB-DUB runs stretched over a week, and those destroy me.

I bow to you, sir.

Its a mad route, trip out feels like a week, return feels like minutes with the time difference.

All economy too, but I will admit on the 777 LHR-SIN I had two seats free next to mine, so got a decent kip in

It was for a pitch and we (un)fortunately won the contract, which just meant more trips out there :D which were thankfully longer

Dublin Berlin is pretty good, 0645 out, 2205 back with Aer Lingus.

I've done

DUB-JFK-SEA 2 days SEA-CLT-BWI (red eye painful)
    SFX-DUB overnight DUB-JFK-PDX 1 day PDX-MEM-TPA 2 day TPA-MCO (office TA wanted TPA-IAD-MCO) I got the train...

And for bonus marks, a SFX DUB cabin crew member was also operating the DUB-JFK..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Kinda falls into this category but I did a day trip from Dublin to Tehran back in 2001 for the World Cup play off. Can't remember the exact times, but it was a very long day, probably even passed the 24 hour mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭x567

Another slightly off-topic one, but a few years ago I did a 'day trip' to LA from LHR; first BA flight out, two hour meeting in LA not too far from LAX and then the last VS flight of the day back to LHR, landing the next afternoon. Sorted out the body clock-turmoil by changing planes at LHR and on to Paris for a FRAvIRE rugby weekend..!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Did LGW JFK on Norwegian last year out on the 8am flight ex LGW into jFK just after 10am then back on the 23:00 JFK LGW flight. Was also wrecked but might do it now with Nowegian ex Dublin into SWF

Advertisement