Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass water bottles

Options
  • 10-03-2018 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hey!

I may have the wrong section here (please move if incorrect), but I'm looking to stop using plastic bottles as I know they ain't great for the environment and not good to refill, so I wanted to get one of the glass ones for everyday use. Can anyone recommend a good brand/shop to buy that isn't too expensive?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

You might have more luck with steel ones - less breakable than glass. TK Maxx are always good and have a range between 500ml-800ml if that's the kind of capacity you are looking for.

If it's for home use and a 2l type capacity, one of the plastic refillable jugs might work (like brita etc.) I know it's plastic but I have had mine 4 or 5 years and hopefully longer, so I don't feel too bad environmentally about it - better than disposable bottles for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I have a metal one I picked up in an outdoors shop and it's great. It's a Sigg one, so it has an excellent seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know somebody who bought one of these. There glass and have a cover which sort of helps breakages.

https://www.flaska.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bleach94 wrote: »
    not good to refill,
    The refilling thing is about them being damaged.

I can not see, nor have ever heard of any reasonable argument why you cannot refill undamaged bottles which previously had water in them. If you read the claims the bottle people give it may give a subtle indication that they are really saying damaged bottles are the risk.

Both the plastic bottled water industry, and the glass bottle or "BPA free" reusable plastic bottle manufacturers both have a vested interest in telling people that reusing a plastic bottle is a terrible & dangerous idea.

Some bottles are more prone to damage than others. The still water bottles have thinner plastic and are more likely to get squashed and bunched up. Still water bottles often have a "stepped" design which is easy to squash and damage. Like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgwACFPQajUNX3VNwgngs3BLP0Sy2jSdAu7oYLcu9aaqYDYgRfbA

My preferred bottles are lucozade ones as the mouth is wide and easy to fill and nicer to drink out of. In some pubs you can get glass lucozade bottles with the wide mouth, some are crown caps like beer though. The plastic lucozade bottles are also good and not prone to damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I reuse plastic bottles. The sheer weight of glass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I just invested in some Klean Kanteen steel ones - I really like them so far

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I like steel PUNC Bottles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

i order some metal bottle on amazon

Advertisement