Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning dangerous illegal supplement.

Options
  • 10-03-2018 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Ok so close on 2 yrs ago I bought one bottle of a now known and dangerous supplement from a well known chain of health food shops.

The supplement in question is called Oxyburn pro

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/popular-falcon-labs-supplements-sold-12150225

I never felt right on them and that's why I still have a few left in the bottle.

My question is should I return what I have left to the shop where I bought them and should I expect a refund? Obviously after so long I probably won't find the receipt. I just hope I haven't done any lasting damage but I think I would know by now,however it is still an unnerving feeling to think I was exposed to these potentially lethal steroids!

I did email the FSAI and they advised me they had already sent the environmental officer to the chain in question so they are fully aware of the issues. However they could offer no advice regarding a return or refund. What are my right in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Have you been in touch with the retailer to see what they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Have you been in touch with the retailer to see what they say?

No I have not to be honest I was just hoping to know what to expect beforehand if it was possible

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You would probably get a refund of the last known selling price. If the pack is out of date though there may be issues around the idea that you shouldn't have taken them now anyway, not certain if that would have any impact though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The ingredients may even have changed in that time as many supplements do depending on what’s legal at the time. You are still alive as so just bin it as you said it’s a few years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The ingredients may even have changed in that time as many supplements do depending on what’s legal at the time. You are still alive as so just bin it as you said it’s a few years old.

Don't bin them for disposal in landfill. Ask the retailer or a pharmacy to dispose of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

L1011 wrote: »
    You would probably get a refund of the last known selling price. If the pack is out of date though there may be issues around the idea that you shouldn't have taken them now anyway, not certain if that would have any impact though

oh it'd be ages since i took them, they have just been languishing in the press for a year or more. I will take them back anyway and see what they say. Makes you wonder though what is in half of these so called "health supplements"

Don't bin them for disposal in landfill. Ask the retailer or a pharmacy to dispose of them.

Yeah they’d be so much more toxic than all the other crap everyone including those with the best intentions that try to recycle everything dump every day!

Would a chemist take it for destruction when it’s not medication? They don’t know what it is regardless of packaging so it may be illegal for them to have possession of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Don’t put medication down the toilet. I’m sure your local chemist would take it for destruction.

dudara wrote: »
    Don’t put medication down the toilet. I’m sure your local chemist would take it for destruction.

Why would they? It’s an illegal supplement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Erm burn them in the fire?

There is (or was) a HSE organised system for pharmacists to take old meds for safe destruction, they took anything going. No legal risk to the pharmacy. I don't know if that is still going on though

And more safely disposed up through proper and established channels than flushing them into the water system. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Legal or not, it's still a pharmaceutical compound and there are protocols for the destruction and handling of such. Dumping chemicals into the water supply is not the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

dudara wrote: »
    Legal or not, it's still a pharmaceutical compound and there are protocols for the destruction and handling of such. Dumping chemicals into the water supply is not the answer.

Not really. It's illegal to sell the product the op is posting about, but it is not a prescribed medication, it was sold "across the counter".

Down the loo or in the fireplace op.

davo10 wrote: »
    Not really. It's illegal to sell the product the op is posting about, but it is not a prescribed medication, it was sold "across the counter".

You do not put any compounds like this into the water system. Whether prescribed or not pharmacies will take it for proper disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

davo10 wrote: »

A pharmacy will take it and dispose of it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

My pharmacy won’t take in medication to dispose of anymore. I went in a while back with some tablets that had gone out of date and they said I’d have to dispose of them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It’s an illegal supplement.

should be be handed into the gardai so?

if you discovered you still had a load of now illegal headshop drugs what are you meant to do, or found a load of E tablets dumped in your front garden.

rubadub wrote: »
    should be be handed into the gardai so?

if you discovered you still had a load of now illegal headshop drugs what are you meant to do, or found a load of E tablets dumped in your front garden.

Finding them is different to owning them. If you own them you are hardly going to go to a guard and say “look what I bought!”

• Advertisement

Finding them is different to owning them. If you own them you are hardly going to go to a guard and say “look what I bought!”

Well E was legal at one time so in theory it could happen, just like the headshop drugs were made illegal overnight. I remember seeing a historian talking of how cocaine was available OTC in dublin pharmacies!

This person bought and owns illegal drugs and wants to hand them into a pharmacy. Should they not be worried that the gardai will be called and the pharmacist say "look what he bought!".

I have always wondered what does happen in these cases. Can a drug dealer on his way to a gym to sell steroids get caught and say "oh I was on the way to the pharmacy to get rid of them!"

This has been recalled by the FSAI as unsafe to consume, NOT barred under controlled drugs regulations. It is not illegal in that sense, at all.

This has been recalled by the FSAI as unsafe to consume, NOT barred under controlled drugs regulations. It is not illegal in that sense, at all.
    ah right, so are you saying any shop here could continue to sell these stimulants as long as they use the auld "not for human consumption" line that the headshops favour?

The original linked article said it was illegal, but the "for human consumption" loophole bit was not obvious, maybe they left it out to make it sound sensational. It is a known drug for "recreational abuse". Did the FSAI give some sort of statement/indication that the illegality for human consumption had absolutely nothing to do with it being a drug of potential recreational use? and solely for being "unsafe to consume", seeing as you seem to be saying it is not illegal for reasons, as you say "in that sense, at all"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylhexanamine

In 2012 the New Zealand Ministry of Health banned the sale of methylhexanamine products,[46] due in part to its growing recreational use as party pills

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

There is (or was) a HSE organised system for pharmacists to take old meds for safe destruction, they took anything going. No legal risk to the pharmacy. I don't know if that is still going on though

The HSE did have a scheme like this that was nationwide. The HSE stopped it in most areas as part of the cutbacks.
    Pharmacies now have to pay private companies to destroy old or out of date medicines.

Advertisement