Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protocol for queuing to buy a house...

Options
  • 10-03-2018 7:26pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can't find any thread for this, need some help though as it looks like we're in for a Q in a couple of weeks to secure a house on the outskirts of Dublin.

Pissed this is even happening again after everything that's happened but as in most cases it's down to a simple supply and demand problem.

So the estate agent says we should be prepared to line up for 24-48 hours.

From people's experiences how does it normally work...

Assuming I'm camped on a chair, can you do it in turns (will people give out).

Likewise if someone needs to go to the toilet would you lose your place?

Security is a bit of a worry - will have or need a phone/iPad to remain sane...

Weather - hopefully no snow!

Any tips grestfully received...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I just went through this and it was a shambles. New houses went on sale and I called the EA (Savills) beforehand to find out what the story was only to be told that people had started queuing a couple of days beforehand and had been given priority tickets.

I’ve no problem if people put the time in to queue and secure a property that way. Fair play to them! But it is nonsense that you can turn up a couple of days early and get a magic ticket and then go home and end up first in line when you rock up on the launch day. Completely unfair in my opinion.

Maybe this is just a Savills thing though, Ive been to a few of their viewings that have been extremely unprofessional.

If I was doing it again, I’d rock up a week early and refuse to leave until I either got the first ticket or an assurance that tickets would not be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is this thread from 2006?
    Queueing for a house, have ye lost the run of yourselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

ELM327 wrote: »
    Is this thread from 2006?
    Queueing for a house, have ye lost the run of yourselves?

What do you mean by "Losing the run of yourselves" in this context?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

not sure if sad or funny to spend day or two to que up for a house check :cool::confused: cant they make appointments for the day 20 min each and do open house or smth, estate agents must be having field day for last few years now, doing f-all as bids flow from left and right, imagine some with life long mortgages on their heads forgot how easily market can take a plunge, as no job is secure for decades, to keep 4 digit repayments for 30 years at the least.

Sure its better then renting since even remote towns to Dublin are well over 1k nowadays, cant even imagine whats Dublin like, where you prob get only room for 1.6k a month. But it shows how ireland is totally backwards rural as its infrastructure is all based excursively on single city in entire country, and how little opportunities there are elswhere.

What do you mean by "Losing the run of yourselves" in this context?
    I think it is obvious, but, for clarification, losing any resemblance of sanity (not to mention fiscal prudence) by queuing up for a house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I think it is obvious, but, for clarification, losing any resemblance of sanity (not to mention fiscal prudence) by queuing up for a house.

You got a house though? Right?

If that’s what’s required people will do it. The rental sector is a mess.

You got a house though? Right?

If that’s what’s required people will do it. The rental sector is a mess.
    Signed contracts last week.
    Without queuing ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Signed contracts last week.
    Without queuing ;)

As disdainful as the current market is, to question the OP's sanity and then reveal your own pie in your eye situation is even more disdainful. We all make decisions on what matters most in life and buying a home is a very big one. Congrats on making an already stressful and real world situation for the OP even worse.

OP, I never queued before, but did miss out in the early 2000's on places I would have liked. Do what you need to, but don't be afraid to ruffle some feathers of the estate agent or other queuers if are there at a legitimate time to queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If there is a shortage of something that people want they will queue to get it.

Last Saturday I went to my local shopping centre and the mall, which is about 10m wide by 50m long, was jammed with people queuing to get into the supermarket. Now I didn't need anything so turned around and went home. As I was walking out I overheard 2 couples with babies discussing what they were short of for the babies so they had to join the queue, did both these couples loose the run of themselves or were they queuing in the hope of getting what they needed for their family. Rents are becoming unaffordable so if I had to queue for a few days to make a huge saving, and stability, for my family I'd be purchasing adult nappies and queuing to buy a house.

delly wrote: »
    As disdainful as the current market is, to question the OP's sanity and then reveal your own pie in your eye situation is even more disdainful. We all make decisions on what matters most in life and buying a home is a very big one. Congrats on making an already stressful and real world situation for the OP even worse.

OP, I never queued before, but did miss out in the early 2000's on places I would have liked. Do what you need to, but don't be afraid to ruffle some feathers of the estate agent or other queuers if are there at a legitimate time to queue.

Well done on missing the point.
    My introduction of my own scenario was to show that queueing for houses is not necessary and is quite frankly akin to a run on the banks in terms of herd mentality.

This is having a resemblance of 2006 era. I'd say we are coming to the top of the bubble shortly, perhaps it will be delayed by a year or 2 due to the ICB rules, but mark my words by 2021 we will be in a recession like 2009 again, except this time it is Ireland and the UK only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Taking turns is fine. I'd love to see you try hold a wee in the for 48 hours. 

I've never had to queue up for one of these things but I have seen small pop up tents being used. A spare power pack would be a godsend to charge your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

scamalert wrote:
    not sure if sad or funny to spend day or two to que up for a house check cant they make appointments for the day 20 min each and do open house or smth, estate agents must be having field day for last few years now, doing f-all as bids flow from left and right, imagine some with life long mortgages on their heads forgot how easily market can take a plunge, as no job is secure for decades, to keep 4 digit repayments for 30 years at the least.

It's not that everyone won't get to see the house on the day. There might be 50 houses with 300 people wanting to buy on the day. First 50 get a house. The other 250 leaves without a house

Well done on missing the point.
    My introduction of my own scenario was to show that queueing for houses is not necessary and is quite frankly akin to a run on the banks in terms of herd mentality.

This is having a resemblance of 2006 era. I'd say we are coming to the top of the bubble shortly, perhaps it will be delayed by a year or 2 due to the ICB rules, but mark my words by 2021 we will be in a recession like 2009 again, except this time it is Ireland and the UK only.

Queuing has nothing to do with the prices being over the top, the opposite if anything.

Basically you probably bought a house from top of a hidden queue of other potential buyers. But since they didn’t view at the same time you didn’t see them.

With new builds people don’t compete on price as the price is static, at least for each release. So they queue. The queue actually means the houses are underpriced.

And when people bought at the top of the market in 2006, some queued some didn’t. If you think it’s the top of the market why did you buy last week.

Queuing has nothing to do with the prices being over the top, the opposite if anything.

Basically you probably bought a house from top of a hidden queue of other potential buyers. But since they didn’t view at the same time you didn’t see them.

With new builds people don’t compete on price as the price is static, at least for each release. So they queue. The queue actually means the houses are underpriced.

And when people bought at the top of the market in 2006, some queued some didn’t. If you think it’s the top of the market why did you buy last week.

I bought because it was a good price, and a good investment, in addition to being a suitable property. I did not, and would not, queue to buy a property. That's ridiculous.

This thread is not about me.

That wasn't obvious, because queuing up for anything has no relation to fiscal prudence or sanity.

Who's to say the people queuing up for a house are more or less fiscally prudent than you are? Maybe by queuing up they are buying houses that are better value than the one you bought.

If you find a house that you want, at a good price, you would be a fool to turn your nose up at it to avoid the minor inconvenience of queuing.

That wasn't obvious, because queuing up for anything has no relation to fiscal prudence or sanity.

Who's to say the people queuing up for a house are more or less fiscally prudent than you are? Maybe by queuing up they are buying houses that are better value than the one you bought.

If you find a house that you want, at a good price, you would be a fool to turn your nose up at it to avoid the minor inconvenience of queuing.
    The sheeple rarely stumble upon the rare diamond but hey even the blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

rare gems seriously not in this market, unless its midlands or as far as possible away from Dublin 4-5bedroom mansion that's a gem, not overpriced semi d or apartment that's assembled in 3 months time due to massive shortage and no lack of buyers willing to sign up just to have a roof.

The sheeple rarely stumble upon the rare diamond but hey even the blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

First time I have seen the word "Sheeple" used by someone who isn't an anti-vaxxer. Sorry for derailing your thread OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I bought because it was a good price, and a good investment, in addition to being a suitable property. I did not, and would not, queue to buy a property. That's ridiculous.

If you want to get a property in any of the numerous estates being built around us at the moment then you either queue up or lose out..

I don’t see how that makes those buyers sheeple..

This thread is not about me.

Investment?. But it’s the top of the boom you said.

You made this about you, there’s nothing I’m queuing that indicates the house was over priced. You also competed for your house.

• Advertisement

You aren’t coming across very well.

Investment?. But it’s the top of the boom you said.

You made this about you, there’s nothing I’m queuing that indicates the house was over priced. You also competed for your house.
    Competed yes - queued no.
    It's approaching the top of the boom. But there will be more to come, perhaps restricted to a plateau by the dearth of supply and the ICB restrictions. These are artificially hyping and restricting the market respectively - not to mention the fireball that is the rental sector and the associated a) volatility and b) the impact of same on the property purchase market.
    First time I have seen the word "Sheeple" used by someone who isn't an anti-vaxxer. Sorry for derailing your thread OP.
    It's a relatively common word in economic parlance. Excuse my topical perspicacity.:D

You aren’t coming across very well.
    Well sorry if I am not (sic) coming across very well. Am I interrupting your queue time? :p

It's approaching the top of the boom. But there will be more to come, perhaps restricted to a plateau by the dearth of supply and the ICB restrictions. These are artificially hyping and restricting the market respectively - not to mention the fireball that is the rental sector and the associated a) volatility and b) the impact of same on the property purchase market.

It's a relatively common word in economic parlance. Excuse my topical perspicacity.:D

I don’t know what economics book you read. Sheeple isn’t a technical term.

I’ve alreasy explained to you why queues probably indicate a price lower than market price. To avoid queues the developers could have just sold at higher prices and supply would have met demand

I don’t know what economics book you read. Sheeple isn’t a technical term.

I’ve alreasy explained to you why queues probably indicate a price lower than market price. To avoid queues the developers could have just sold at higher prices and supply would have met demand
    Never said it was a technical term :confused:
    In fact I said the opposite.

And how kind of you to (sic) "explain to me" how economics work. Thanks for that.
    Guess I'll hand back my qualifications so - you've educated me.

Well sorry if I am not (sic) coming across very well. Am I interrupting your queue time? :p

I own a house and have done since 2012. Which means it has increased in value by 50% or more. I don’t argue points based on my own personal experiences though.

No idea why you used that (sic) either.

I own a house and have done since 2012. Which means it has increased in value by 50% or more. I don’t argue points based on my own personal experiences though.

No idea why you used that (sic) either.
    Well done you. Genuine part of my post -> you probably bought 12 months above the true floor of the market and therefore could make a sizeable profit if you sold now.

Humorous part: The SIC is used as your sentence "coming across very well" has no real relevance to what I was saying or attempting to achieve. Generally it is a term of derogation and to "take the p1ss" if you will, I used it as a derogation out of context.

Never said it was a technical term :confused:
    In fact I said the opposite.

No you didn’t.

And how kind of you to (sic) "explain to me" how economics work. Thanks for that.
    Guess I'll hand back my qualifications so - you've educated me.

Cool

Ps You keep using (sic) incorrectly.

=/= technical term
    No you didn’t.

Cool

Ps You keep using (sic) incorrectly.
    No.. that one was correct.

• Advertisement

Well done you. Genuine part of my post -> you probably bought 12 months above the true floor of the market and therefore could make a sizeable profit if you sold now.

Humorous part: The SIC is used as your sentence "coming across very well" has no real relevance to what I was saying or attempting to achieve. Generally it is a term of derogation and to "take the p1ss" if you will, I used it as a derogation out of context.

No, sic is used when you directly quote a misspelling or something not grammatical and want to make it clear that this was on the original quote and you haven’t corrected it.

I’m not an economist so I won’t be selling my place thank.

Advertisement