Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protocol for queuing to buy a house...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ELM327 wrote: »
    The sheeple rarely stumble upon the rare diamond but hey even the blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Well thanks for the enlightenment Confucius.

Mod Note:

Raise the standard of your posting if you wish to continue to participate in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

Why do developers not auction new builds? As was said previously, queuing is a sign of underpricing. They're leaving money on the table doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

What exactly is wrong with queuing if you are trying to secure a house in your desired location, that fits your needs and is within your budget? Maybe everyone should just sit back and wait for their ideal home to fall in to their lap cos that seems likely to happen.... I’d happily queue to secure my preferred house in a development, best garden etc. than wait for what was left after. It’s not a bidding war we’re talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

With new builds people don’t compete on price as the price is static, at least for each release. So they queue. The queue actually means the houses are underpriced

You assume here that the price has already been released.....usually it has notbeen released.

So the queue is more about demand than price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

There's a thread from last year where I queued for a house and asked the same advice. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102609354

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Grawns wrote: »
    There's a thread from last year where I queued for a house and asked the same advice. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102609354

So how did it work out for you in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Time travel exists!!

LirW wrote: »
    So how did it work out for you in the end?

Researched queuing, turned up to queue, was given ticket, bought house. Very happy.

PS. Got my south facing garden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Researched queuing, turned up to queue, was given ticket, bought house. Very happy.

Congratulations, I really hope you enjoy your new house and it's all coming together!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Didn't know that other thread existed - will take a look thanks.

Obviously lining up to buy is nuts but it's the situation we find ourselves in. We actually already own an apartment but now with a family we'd like a house.

They're not building that many around here hence the need to line up. Yes we have looked at second hand but there's mad outbidding going on, at least with a new build the price is locked in - the downside being there's likely to be way more demand then supply (hence the Q question).

• Advertisement

Didn't know that other thread existed - will take a look thanks.

Obviously lining up to buy is nuts but it's the situation we find ourselves in. We actually already own an apartment but now with a family we'd like a house.

They're not building that many around here hence the need to line up. Yes we have looked at second hand but there's mad outbidding going on, at least with a new build the price is locked in - the downside being there's likely to be way more demand then supply (hence the Q question).

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on. Handing out tickets seems to be more frequent. There was a recent launch on my estate and they posted a notice on the show house the night before the launch not to bother queuing as all the houses had already been allocated by ticket. Sold out before official launch!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

What's the protocol in house queues, is it one house per slot in the queue? Or can somebody buy more than one house?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on. Handing out tickets seems to be more frequent. There was a recent launch on my estate and they posted a notice on the show house the night before the launch not to bother queuing as all the houses had already been allocated by ticket. Sold out before official launch!

Thanks, going to call the agent again today and see if they are going down the ticket route - is supposed to be launched the weekend after Paddy's weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We knew people who queued recently, and got first in line. They got the end house with a larger garden for basically the same price as the other houses (think it was €2k more for the larger garden).

If they're there in 10 years time, they'll have the "best" house on the street if they sell it, and the queuing will have earned them thousands, in the mean time they get to enjoy a larger garden, and quieter location.

Someone who bought a second hand house via bidding and multiple viewings to the buying new situation is an idiot, they're completely different scenarios and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I bid on several houses before buying a new build - bidding on houses is very stressful, I'd take a few hours of queuing over that any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'm familiar with two recent queuing situations near us.

In the first the estate agent came late each night, like around midnight, and handed out numbered tokens. They waited til then so people would prove they were at least somewhat serious. This was the first phase of a new development with no show houses, builder wasn't even on site. On the one hand it was crazy to queue with such limited info, on the other hand prices were about 80k lower then similar houses in the area. First numbers were handed out 3 days in advance.

In the second case it was about phase 5 of a development. Houses right beside the development above. Known builder but more expensive. People were floating around from Wednesday but since no one else was queuing they didn't stay the night. Real queing started the night before and they took a list and self organised a lot so there was an order to it. Estate agent honoured the list.

If only one house will do you, you'll need to be there earlier but if you're fairly ok with most houses then early the morning of is probably ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Not sure if it was mentioned but a good EA will give out tickets.So you show up get your number and return on day of showing and Q up in accordance to number. Not sure why they won’t do that for you unless there trying to use the Q to drive up interest and in turn price but good luck
    Edit just seen post above never mind lol

Advertisement