Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Credit card type system for dole recipients?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    Will every new business need to set up for this card? Plumbers jewellery stalls in parks?

Yes. And if they don't get to it quick we withdraw alcohol privlages
    for their staff and management.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    Will every new business need to set up for this card? Plumbers jewellery stalls in parks?

I'd imagine only one legged carpenters.......and maybe gypsy caber tossers. But that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    So oppressing the downthrodden is no longer a life is it?

Ah it is, but I've met some of these dole bashers in real life. Most of them are pathetic people. It's sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't care what they spend their money on. Just don't see the problem with hypothetically moving it to a cashless system. Ignoring the cost of introducing the system, why is it a bad idea?

The OP isn't about using a cashless system. I'm pretty sure that many, many recipients of social welfare receive the money straight into their bank accounts and use a debit card for most purchases. The OP is about not doing this but instead issuing a food stamps style credit card that can only be used for what the OP deems to be valid expenditures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Loueln

Credit card with no restrictions on stuff bought but taxpayer will the be able to see what its spent on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Loueln wrote: »
    Credit card with no restrictions on stuff bought but taxpayer will the be able to see what its spent on

Do the same so with PS staff seeing as it comes from the same pot.

Would agree with that too re PS staff. no individuals but one can analyse the spending habits of different groups then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ah it is, but I've met some of these dole bashers in real life. Most of them are pathetic people. It's sad.

I prefer constructive policies to just having a go at people.

This credit card thing and the same as vouchers would never work in the real world anyway because people can barter 'necessary' goods for booze and smokes.
    Although it might trigger some to start brewing their own beer in the shed and then one thing leading to another they become successful business people - and lay off the benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Loueln wrote: »
    Would agree with that too re PS staff. no individuals but one can analyse the spending habits of different groups then

You're nosey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

I am on social welfare since November. Lost a job. Looking out for a new job. So would having a bit to eat when in Dublin for an interview count ? Or the new suit or shoes for the interview ?.

I agree the system is abused but genuine people who are looking for work would be needlessly punished

great way to quantify is money handed out or earned spent appropriately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    What about jumpers for goalposts? Eh? Isn't it. Marvelous
    Small boys in the park. Three in the middle, four up front.
    One's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast. Don't quote me on that.

Girls can play sports too! This is the 80's Mr Myagi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

splinter65 wrote:
    If €20 was paid in cash would that be enough?

Just give people the cash to spend as they wish. Why twist yourself in knots about how someone spends their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Loueln wrote:

Why is this important for the tax payer to know? My tax pays the (contributes to)wages of politicians/ public sector workers can I see what they spend that money on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thread done a good few times always ends up the same!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement