Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote access

Options
  • 10-03-2018 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hello there how easy is it for someone to remotely access a computer/laptop?

I mean how easy would it be for someone to load malicious images on to someone,s computer I do not mean on a random computer i mean this person would have had contact with the person who's computer they loaded images onto but only via the internet would it be possible to do this remotely without the other person giving access remotely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Has someone been naughty?

In the world of cyber-crime anything is possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah the old 'someone must have done it remotely' ruse

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sticking to the question that has been asked, the answer is very easily. Actually determining if this is what has happened in whatever scenario you have, is a different and slightly more complex question.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭cycling is fun

delly wrote: »
    Sticking to the question that has been asked, the answer is very easily. Actually determining if this is what has happened in whatever scenario you have, is a different and slightly more complex question.

Thanks the person doing it would need to be a bit of a whizz I am guessing? I am trying to determine if this is in fact what happened I have my suspicion that it did not as you said finding that out will be difficult

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thanks the person doing it would need to be a bit of a whizz I am guessing? I am trying to determine if this is in fact what happened I have my suspicion that it did not as you said finding that out will be difficult

Not really, just a basic understanding of whatever software they are using. TeamViewer for example is a very well known piece of software that can take control of your PC. Now the user would have to allow it to some point, but it is the one a lot of scammers use. Now to get control of a PC using other methods would be of the 'whiz' variety, basically software that is specifically used for bad purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

TeamViewer would be most popular, but not only remote access software, allowing remote access to PC.
    However, yourself(PC owner/user)had to install it, or, at some point, third party had physical access to PC under account with administrator permissions(by default, first user created on Windows PC has full admin rights).
    Furthermore, software has to run on windows startup. Not sure about other, but Teamviewer is not, so it mean someone configured it. You can undo it, and ,make sure to change "unattended access" password.

On other hand, there is absolutely no need for someone to remote access you laptop/PC to "plant" some files on it. Where on device "malicious stuff" appear?
    Say, if you have dropbox(OneDrive, Google drive., etc.) synced with your device, and some how third party gain access to your dropbox account or folder(you can share folder to other people, you know), anything placed there by third party will sync and appear on your device in that folder.

More info = more accurate answer you can expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭cycling is fun

TeamViewer would be most popular, but not only remote access software, allowing remote access to PC.
    However, yourself(PC owner/user)had to install it, or, at some point, third party had physical access to PC under account with administrator permissions(by default, first user created on Windows PC has full admin rights).
    Furthermore, software has to run on windows startup. Not sure about other, but Teamviewer is not, so it mean someone configured it. You can undo it, and ,make sure to change "unattended access" password.

On other hand, there is absolutely no need for someone to remote access you laptop/PC to "plant" some files on it. Where on device "malicious stuff" appear?
    Say, if you have dropbox(OneDrive, Google drive., etc.) synced with your device, and some how third party gain access to your dropbox account or folder(you can share folder to other people, you know), anything placed there by third party will sync and appear on your device in that folder.

More info = more accurate answer you can expect.

Thanks guys for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement