Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast or similar

Options
  • 11-03-2018 9:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭

I can't seem to connect my phone or tablet to the TV using hdmi. I have downloaded an app that says hdmi is not supported on my phone and I presume the tablet is the same.

So now I just can't keep up with technology anymore, I sound old. But I can learn. I'm looking at casting or mirroring to play on TV. Chromecast looks like the thing to use but is there anything cheaper available?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Chrome cast are cheap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

bigpink wrote: »
    Chrome cast are cheap

It's €40. When I do a search on Amazon, other things seem to pop up like Allcast. Would this do a similar job and it's cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Clickbait wrote: »
    It's €40. When I do a search on Amazon, other things seem to pop up like Allcast. Would this do a similar job and it's cheaper?

Alot of the allcast devices mirror what's on your phone screen therefore make your phone unusable for the duration of what you are casting. They also drain your battery as they are doing the downloading/streaming. A Chromecast works differently so your phone only works as the remote control. The Chromecast will be sent a command from your phone to watch a movie on Netflix for example and then the Chromecast will stream the movie direct from the internet meaning you can do what you want with your phone. Only certain apps have Chromecast compatibly but most of the main ones do. If you there's also apps such as localcast that you can use to send content from your phone direct to the Chromecast. If you downloaded a movie to your phone you can use this to watch it on a big screen.

Well worth €40 imo. Maplins often have them for €25 also so keep a look out on their website. Or adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Chromecast is incredible value for what it does. Once you cast to the TV you can work away with the phone doing other stuff.

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Alot of the allcast devices mirror what's on your phone screen therefore make your phone unusable for the duration of what you are casting. They also drain your battery as they are doing the downloading/streaming. A Chromecast works differently so your phone only works as the remote control. The Chromecast will be sent a command from your phone to watch a movie on Netflix for example and then the Chromecast will stream the movie direct from the internet meaning you can do what you want with your phone. Only certain apps have Chromecast compatibly but most of the main ones do. If you there's also apps such as localcast that you can use to send content from your phone direct to the Chromecast. If you downloaded a movie to your phone you can use this to watch it on a big screen.

Well worth €40 imo. Maplins often have them for €25 also so keep a look out on their website. Or adverts.ie

Your post made my decision. Chromecast it is.

• Advertisement

Would the Roku be similar to the Chromecast?

Advertisement