Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure if its a scam website/Call/Text?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

There are a lot of attempted scams on DoneDeal. Be suspicious of watsapps. Also they will offer to deal with payment by sending a fake An Post method of payment.

I’ve sold lots on DoneDeal and I mainly use PayPal or Revolut.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

A quick look through Donedeal's help section doesn't mention anything about paying through the site.

I thought I'd seen some ads in the past that had a payment option, but I can't find anything on it now.

I suspect that your buyer is not genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

Yes, its odd though, on my own profile the bottom link is titled 'Payment History' when I click through it just says 'You don't have any receipts at this moment!'

This does suggest that there is or was (?) some element of the site being aware of payments which they wouldn't be if it was via cash

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

What's revolut like in terms of 'chargebacks'. If they agree to pay me via revolut and then collect the item is there some way they could then 'cancel' the payment after collecting the item ?

• Advertisement

I have no idea Usjes, i wait till the money in in my account before i post the goods. Once the money is actually in your account i don't see how they could cancel it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They can request a chargeback like any debit/credit card.

How does that work then? Is there some sort of investigation to determine if the refund request is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not for a Revolut transfer though, it's not a debit or credit card payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Tango One

Is done deal full scam buyers or am I'm paranoid.

First one seems obvious scam guy said he is using his daughter account and to email him. Then proceed to agreed to pay the full amount no haggling and will send the money via PayPal and a courier will collect. He can't do phone calls because he is deaf and too busy to meet to look at the item.

The second not so sure the angle yet said they can't see the item on done deal and can I send the image via what's app?.

I normally stick to adverts but stuck it on done deal too. Is this normal on donedeal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Had a piano on Donedeal and Adverts and cant say I had any issues.

I also had it on Facebook Marketplace for a few days. I was getting 3/4 scam contacts a day before I took it down. Complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭horse7

I put up an advert on marketplace to sell a TV, so I've had a succession of replies like this :Hey. Ok I take. I'd like to come today or tomorrow but I'm currently busy with work, I'll send a courier factor to your home to give you your money in cash and get the item back. I explain to you, an agents will come to your home to give you an envelope containing your money, and once you have checked your money you give him the item so that they can send it to my home. Okay?

I have made it clear the item is xxx€ cash and even so I'm still getting these similar offers to buy. I'd regard it as a scam but I'm trying to figure out how the scam would work. Àny ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

What happens is they say the courier charges an 'insurance' amount which they say they will include in the envelope but ask you to transfer that amount to the 'courier' beforehand.

When you refuse they then threaten legal action for not completing the 'contract' as they say they've already engaged the courier. I've seen the threatening messages recently and while they're actually hilarious, if you're anyway naive they can seem scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭horse7

Wow. So for example I'm selling a TV for 100€ , they send a driver with an envelope that has 120€ ànd I transfer money,I presume 20€ driver fee to the buyer? Something like that?

Post edited by horse7 on

In the example I saw they were looking for 100 euro to be transferred to the courier, which would be included in the envelope with the purchase price.

Of course there is no courier to begin with and no one will show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I got a confirmation text from a barber shop for appointment. It had my name. I checked the business name and it is legitimate business in Dublin. I'm on the other side of the country and never had any dealings with them.

Don't know where they got my name and number.

Could this be dodgy? Any point contacting them?

Post edited by Heighway61 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chickennuget

I received a text today from what genuinely looks like AnPost, its says "Judicial registered letter not delivered! Your delivery has ben stuck in the distribution center" and then it gives me a link to track the shipping but the link address looks suspicious to me

Is this a real text or is it a scam link ? i am not aware of any registered letters being delivered to me and ive never received a letter n regards to a court case before

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Don't touch links in messages like that.

Scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

An Post don't read your mail so how would they know it was a "Judicial registered letter"?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is the 'ben stuck' your typo or theirs? It's a good sign of a scam if theirs.

Let me guess - the link doesn't end in 'anpost.com' but is some other website? Stay well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Curious about what appears to be a new type of text message scam, and wonder if anybody has seen this before or knows how it would work?

Just got an ordinary text (SMS) message that says "Hi Mam, I broke my phone, WhatsApp me on my new number", and it then gives a number that starts with 089.

First red flag is that I'm a Dad rather than a Mam, and second is that neither of my children are yet old enough to even own a phone.

Was going to reply via SMS in case it was a genuine case of somebody sending that message to a wrong number, but then noticed that the message came from an 085 number, rather than the 089 that the sender claims is their new phone number.

There's no link to click, or anything else - just a request to send a WhatsApp message to that 089 number.

So....scam? And if so, how would it work, or what might I be getting myself into if I did indeed message that number?

Not new and definitely a scam

You'll be asked to pay an urgent bill that's due through a link they provide

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Agreed. It's been doing the rounds for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Ah, I see. Just hadn't heard of it myself before.

Am tempted to reply now anyway, and just string them along..... 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Brother looking to get a KugooKirin M4 Pro, anyone know if kugoo Ireland is safe?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a lot there that would make me wary.

There is an EU address (Poland) absolutely buried somewhere, with a Chinese phone number (possibly mobile, as its is so long); shipping info is inconsistent and has multiple different courier firm logos. Domain is just registered to Alibaba Cloud with no further info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Thanks L1001,

Does the eu site look better?

Or would you give kugoo a miss completely?

• Advertisement

If they take Visa you're fine imo, scammers wouldn't leave themselves open to charge back if something went wrong.

Advertisement