Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover letter / Key selection criteria for job in Oz

Options
  • 11-03-2018 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Posting this here rather than work & jobs as I'm after Oz specific experiences

I'm in the process of applying for a job in Australia. I have the qualifications and am an Australian citizen (currently living in Ireland) so that side of things is ok.

When i contacted the employer to find out how to apply they replied that they don't have an application form, but that applications will be assessed against the selection criteria and that a cover letter and CV that provide evidence against the selection criteria would be helpful.

I have my CV sorted so that's ok, it's the cover letter I am struggling with. Everything I have read about cover letters says it should be no more than a page and should address the selection criteria, however the selection criteria in the job description has 17 points...there's no way I can get that onto a page! So do I use bullet points, or address what I think are the main criteria?

So for people here who have applied for jobs in Australia, what did you do? Also should I put that I'm available for a Skype interview, or leave it vauge? It will be clear from my application that i am currently in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Lol as an Australian, and (similar with Irish companies) you will know the HR departments generally are too lazy to read through your full application and generally cannot associate and correlate relevant skills.

But looking at the task at hand, I would just copy the competencies, paraphrase and then add relevant personal experience which relate to those skills.

I've done this a lot recently and have found it far more effective to contact relevant people within the company to arrange a chat and start the engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If they are looking for the cover letter to be a statement addressing the selection criteria, then they do not expect the cover letter to be confined to one page.

I would consider submitting a short cover letter, with a statement addressing the selection criteria (and of course also the CV).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If they are looking for the cover letter to be a statement addressing the selection criteria, then they do not expect the cover letter to be confined to one page.

I would consider submitting a short cover letter, with a statement addressing the selection criteria (and of course also the CV).

Arggh & thanks! Wish i had seen this before i sent it off with the 1 page cover letter :( oh well, juat have to wait & see now i guess.

Advertisement