Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contacting Superintendent or Firearms Officer

Options
  • 11-03-2018 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I know this will vary from area to area but I'm looking to get permission for a night vision setup so I want to meet the Superintendent to have a chat face to face. Mallow in Co.Cork is where I'd have to go.
    What's the best way to go about this if anyone has done this? Can you just walk in and ask for him/her or do you need an appointment. Any tips when seeking permission for night vision.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

You need an appointment, but as far as i know he does not have to see you. Be very careful looking to meet senior gardai, i did it twice, meeting the chief super when they refused to relicence my .45. Not a pleasant experience and i swore i would never do it again.

You are better off applying for the nv in writing, and if refused, contacting the nargc or fcp and letting them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

gunny123 wrote: »
    You need an appointment, but as far as i know he does not have to see you. Be very careful looking to meet senior gardai, i did it twice, meeting the chief super when they refused to relicence my .45. Not a pleasant experience and i swore i would never do it again.

You are better off applying for the nv in writing, and if refused, contacting the nargc or fcp and letting them deal with it.
    Yeah it's not something I'd be looking forward to doing to be honest, I can imagine them just being annoyed by this ejit looking to shoot rabbits with NV. But then you'd be thinking you would have a better chance of explaining yourself in person.
    As you say in writing might be better for them to deal with in their own time. Is it just a general letter laying out why you think you need it because there is no official request form for something like this?
    Would I just post it off to the station addressed to the Super or should I find out who the FO is at that station and hand it to them.
    Also did you eventually get sorted with your.45 license?

I would go to the local fo and ask to apply for nv for your rifle, they will make a note of why you want it etc. Always try the easy way first. I would not meet a super/chief super again, unless absolutely necessary. By asking to see the super straight away, you are flagging up this is something unusual.

Never got sorted with the .45 as i was made redundant when the celtic tiger dropped dead, i decided to go back to college, and did not have any money for court cases, solicitors and all that. I still miss it and would have another in a flash if i could.

Never got sorted with the .45 as i was made redundant when the celtic tiger dropped dead, i decided to go back to college, and did not have any money for court cases, solicitors and all that. I still miss it and would have another in a flash if i could.
    It's ridiculous really the rounds we have to go to just to stay on the right side of the law while trying to pursue a harmless pass time while there are people out there with over a hundred convictions and they are still walking around doing what ever they feel like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I would go to the local fo and ask to apply for nv for your rifle, they will make a note of why you want it etc. Always try the easy way first. I would not meet a super/chief super again, unless absolutely necessary. By asking to see the super straight away, you are flagging up this is something unusual.

If you had your .45 before 2008, why can't you try again now?

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If you had your .45 before 2008, why can't you try again now?

Because it was sold up north and i have no way of tracking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Because it was sold up north and i have no way of tracking it.

Ah right. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

@Gunny Was it a Norinco 1911? And did you sell or trade it in a now-defunct gun dealer in Kerry?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

No grizz, a tanfoglio, and it went from dublin to ulster.

After all the hassle I had with my CS,I was on first name terms with him by the end of it all.Well he is now assistant Commissioner in Dublin, and I will have to deal with a new guy pretty soon down here in July.So let's see how that goes.

TBH, sometimes you are just better off dealing straight with the organ grinder rather than the monkeys.
    But do your application by the required channel first.There is no harm in making an appointment to see him/her anyway as they no doubt will want to meet you eventually. And YES they do have to see you as a taxpayer it is part of the AGS charter on customer serive..No doubt they will stall it out due to "busyness." But eventually, they have to meet,.Better in an office over tea and stale biscuits rather than in the witness box.

Don't be overawed by their authority or rank any more folks.Remember, we have won some significant victories in the gun legislation here over the last decade,and they have still got to answer to the GO and GA if you feel put out or treated like dirt.The days of them acting like fascists to the Irish citizen is long over,and black marks or queries on the career resume about public complaints don't look good. Sooner we the Irish people realise that they and as in all bureaucratic structures are there for us and not vice versa ,the better for all.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

So i decided to ring the station and got through to the Firearms Officer who was sound out. He said to write a letter with all my details and what i wanted and why and he would process it and put it to the Super for a decision. He pretty much said that there is usually no problem at all once someone doesn't have a black mark against them for whatever reason. Letter went off in the post today so time will tell. Ill be back with an update as soon as i hear anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm sorry i didn't see this thread until now.
    Kran wrote: »
    What's the best way to go about this if anyone has done this? .
    Tick the "Sights" box in section 3.2 of the FCA1 and submit an additional letter explaining why you want it.

The "sights" box is for NV, Thermal, Light/laser emitting scopes. IOW any non standard.

It's straight forward enough as the Garda told you and is not a big deal.

Hope you get word back soon enough. Let us know how you get on.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Just an update on this. Got granted permission for the night vision just today. Firearms Officer who was a gent to deal with rang me and said that the Super had granted it and a note was added to my Pulse record. Delighted

Good to hear and glad for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 iscoed

Darragh Larkin is a Dream

Advertisement