Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini/Micro PC - office setup advice and recommendations

Options
  • 11-03-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm creating a home office and am putting in a new PC to replace the current old laptop.

I want as little clutter as possible so as the PC is primarily (95% usage) for internet browsing and emails I thought that one of the small PC's would suffice.

The office will have a LAN connection - so wireless is not a necessity.

I'd prefer a Windows OS - or dual boot with Linux. I don't really mind getting a refurbished unit as long as it came from a reputable source and had VAT receipts.

What should I be looking at here? I like the idea of mounting a micro PC to the VESA mount and that would get rid of a lot of cabling - mouse and keyboard are to be wireless too.

Open to all suggestions - inc thin clients.

I was also wondering if I could do something clever like putting a server into the cupboard with the router and then have a thin client setup in the office - any benefit?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe a SFF Dell from Adverts? Quite a number used available there.
    They would have Win installed and could dual boot Linux if you wished.

Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix, attached to rear of monitor?

Personally I would not go the 'clever' way (:D).

But I am very traditional in that respect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SFF box screwed to underside of desk. Dual monitor arm (€25), 2x VESA panels. Bias lighting to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are the SFF attached to the back of the monitor awkward to switch on/off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are the SFF attached to the back of the monitor awkward to switch on/off?

Not really. What you want in this case is an USFF or a NUC, minimal footprint.

USFF probably better 2nd hand as they pack more power and are more upgradable.

I got one of these recently for €300 2nd hand and it has a modern Skylake i3 and DDR4 ram - lighting fast and tiny, also upgradable to i5/i7.

Depending on budget you can get older versions which are still very fast/upgradable for €100-200.

elitedesk_005.jpg

Where did you get it from?

What spec should be adequate for my needs? I'm thinking about 120GB SSD, 8Gb RAM, Win 10, i3 or i5.

Not sure on the actual processor, I suspect any of the i3 or i5 processors will be sufficient.

• Advertisement

Never got around to purchasing. However, I did notice this today when on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-OPTIPLEX-990-USFF-AiO-PC-COMPUTER-19-DELL-TFT-i5-QC-4GB-250GB-WINDOWS-7/183268845338?hash=item2aabaca71a:g:knIAAOSwlgNbHmWB

What is this like?

Basically I want something neat an uncluttered as the table space is small.

My budget, all in would be around €600 for a complete system - PC, monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse.
    I'd like to get a more modern screen than that provided in the link above.

Any help appreciated as I've let this rumble on and now require to get a resolution.

I' have a small requirement for a CD drive player, but I could forgo that within the PC for an external/portable option.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

There are a couple of Lenovo Tiny SFF PC's on adverts that are well within your price limit and requirements, there are simple vesa mounting brackets also available to attach to the back of a monitor

https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/lenovo-m900-tiny-core-i5-8-gb-ddr4-256-ssd/15606078

The second link also includes the extra cd/dvd drive but lower ram and no ssd but you could get it for less than €300 leaving room for ram & ssd upgrade
    https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/lenovo-thinkcentre-m700-tiny-htpc-i5-6400t-4gb-ram-1tb-hdd/15497072

link to suitable vesa mount
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkcentre-Tiny-VESA-Mount-Bracket-03T9717-0B52095-01EF645/282121677311?epid=2254322928&hash=item41afc329ff:g:E3YAAOSww3tY741c

What they like to upgrade?
    I was thinking of the SFF as opposed to the USFF (which I would call the Lenovo's you linked) as they might be upgradable more easily.

I'm in the north o unfortunately those Adverts items are not suitable. However, they do seem like decent machines.

The lenovo tinys are easy enough to upgrade, a couple of screws to slide the cover off and the HDD/SSD is easily accessible. There are two ram slots and they are hidden under the hard drive caddy. In fact they are very similar to the HP TerrorFirmer linked earlier

maxresdefault.jpg

I have had a couple of the older models and they were fine for the tasks you have envisaged. I just replaced them as using a Workstation in the office now.

Lots available on ebay just look up Lenovo Tiny M700 or M900 series

• Advertisement

All of those look ok except the dell-wyse thin client which would not be suitable at all

Went to purchase the Lenovo with the attached DVD drive - as it was new for £240 (not sure how legit that is though?). Was told VAT was inc. in the price, but then subsequently told there would be no VAT receipt.

Now looking at these as I've bought from them before:
    https://www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/Dell-Optiplex-9020-Micro-Core-i3-4330-8GB-500GB-HDD-Win10-Pro---16742.html

It is currently out of stock, but seems okay.

Also, this one:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fast-Hp-Elitedesk-800-G1-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-4590T-8GB-Memory-500GB-HDD-Wireless/152944618596?hash=item239c35ac64:m:mK6Itp8x0lz1yo9J5Z0zBqw

Look for one with an SSD (or just buy an SSD and install yourself), but that NUC in the last link is a lot slower than the other two and far less upgradable down the line due to the tiny form factor.

An SSD will make a phenomenal different to boot times and general use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Look for one with an SSD (or just buy an SSD and install yourself), but that NUC in the last link is a lot slower than the other two and far less upgradable down the line due to the tiny form factor.

An SSD will make a phenomenal different to boot times and general use.

The NUC has an m.2 slot and a Kingston SSD in it. Plus an HDD. It can also be upgraded to 16 GB of RAM. Looks the winner to me.
    I'm typing this on an older model NUC than that one, and I have no problems with it. Mine has an i5-4250U CPU (slower than the one in the ad), has an mSATA SSD, max of 8GB RAM, and I'm totally happy with it for office work.

To answer OP's question: yes, the NUC can be attached to the VESA mount of a monitor, but it requires a bracket. See info here.

Someone else has recommended this: Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF 3rd Gen i5

If I mount the SFF/USFF/NUC behind the monitor can the orientation of the screen be altered from horizontal to vertical and vice versa?

I'm wondering if I should mount below the desk and run cables to it as a better option. I'm putting this into an office so I've got a proper desk with an access hole in the corner for running cables.

My understanding is the the NUC has soldered the processor - so it cannot be upgraded. I'd prefer something upgradeable - or are most of thee things now almost disposable?

Getting confused now by options, all I need is a small footprint computer for basic home office work - nothing intensive and some browsing. I don't want the desk cluttered with boxes and cabling.

Am I looking at the right device in a EliteDesk, lenovo M700/M900, Dell 9020M or a NUC?

Latest suggestion for you is a Dell Optiplex 9020M from ITZoo
    Similar in spec to the options given earlier but without the ssd
    https://itzoo.co.uk/products/dell-optiplex-9020m-micro-computer-i5-4590t-2-0ghz-8gb-500gb-windows-10
    snojK8c.jpg?1
    They also have the accompanying all in one mount for the micro pc to attach to the back of monitor at the base leaving you free to move between portrait and landscape orientation of the monitor
    https://itzoo.co.uk/products/dell-0rw2fv-all-in-one-mount-for-optiplex-3020m-9020m-micro-pc?variant=12788044791867
    The mount was designed to be used for dell monitors but there is a universal attachment for non dell monitors if that is what you are using.The image below gives a better idea of what it looks like assembled
    maxresdefault.jpg

If you enter 'THANKS10' at the checkout you should be able to get 10% off and they will also issue a VAT receipt for you so the only box the cannot tick for you is the inclusion of an ssd and built in wifi but these can be added fairly easily at little cost

My understanding is the the NUC has soldered the processor - so it cannot be upgraded. I'd prefer something upgradeable - or are most of thee things now almost disposable?

I can't speak of the other models, but yes, the NUC has the CPU soldered to the board, and the only bits you can install are hard drives, memory, and maybe one additional board, which is very specific to the box. For example, I have an add-on card for wireless and bluetooth.

The idea with these boxes is that they are small, they have very low power consumption, and no moving parts. The reason the CPU is not upgradeable is that it is cooled with a radiator, there's no fan needed at the lower speeds that these CPUs have. It makes them just fast enough for light work, while they consume little power and produce no noise, and they can run 24/7 without problems.

cunavalos wrote: »
    Latest suggestion for you is a Dell Optiplex 9020M from ITZoo
    Similar in spec to the options given earlier but without the ssd
    https://itzoo.co.uk/products/dell-optiplex-9020m-micro-computer-i5-4590t-2-0ghz-8gb-500gb-windows-10
    snojK8c.jpg?1
    They also have the accompanying all in one mount for the micro pc to attach to the back of monitor at the base leaving you free to move between portrait and landscape orientation of the monitor
    https://itzoo.co.uk/products/dell-0rw2fv-all-in-one-mount-for-optiplex-3020m-9020m-micro-pc?variant=12788044791867

The mount was designed to be used for dell monitors but there is a universal attachment for non dell monitors if that is what you are using.The image below gives a better idea of what it looks like assembled
    maxresdefault.jpg

If you enter 'THANKS10' at the checkout you should be able to get 10% off and they will also issue a VAT receipt for you so the only box the cannot tick for you is the inclusion of an ssd and built in wifi but these can be added fairly easily at little cost

That is perfect - I've never seen this website before!
    What is the 9020M like in terms of upgradability?

Would I be best askign them to add an SSD and instal Win10 in it?

• Advertisement

£55 to replace the 500GB HDD with a 240GB SSD.
    Add Win10 for £20.

Cost: £212.50
    VAT: £42.50
    Total: £255.00

I can claim VAT back. Is the SSD option a good idea?

That is perfect - I've never seen this website before!
    What is the 9020M like in terms of upgradability?

Would I be best askign them to add an SSD and instal Win10 in it?

Of course you can ask them to install an SSD but you will probably pay a premium for that service.

In terms of upgradability the PC will take 16GB RAM (2 x 8GB) and any 2.5" SATA Hard Drive ( Laptop Size). The one issue with the RAM is that i do not know if the current configuration is 1 x 8GB or 2 x 4GB which means that to upgrade to 16GB in the future you may still need to buy 2 x 8GB

Realistically the CPU will provide as much grunt as you need and any probably wont provide much bang for buck as an upgrade as the power supply for micro pc may not provide sufficient power for faster cpu's limiting the upgrade path.

Other features that can be added are a wifi/bluetooth module but most useful is the presence of an M2 sata slot which allows you to install a second Hard Drive i.e. an M2 SSD for the operating system and use the 500GB Hard Drive for storage.

You could get a 240-250GB M2 SSD for Windows 10 and all your software. The 9020M accepts a 2280 M2 SSD which means 22mm wide and 80mm long. The following should be available from ebuyer

https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---SSD?q=m.2+2280

Best thing is to check with ITZoo as to what they can do as I get the impression you may not be comfortable with performing some of the upgrades yourself and would prefer to have the system up an running out of the box.

Just spotted your reply and worth bearing in mind windows 10 Home is already installed, do you need Windows 10 Pro Features.

Also a 240GB M2 SSD will cost £50-55 using the ebuyer link and you will still have access to a 500GB Storage drive whereas with the option above you are losing the 500GB drive and replacing it with SSD.

Dont forget to use THANKS10 discount code for 10% List price or sign up for newsletter for another discount code (Sometimes 15% for new customers)

It's not that I'm uncomfortable about doing it. It is just my experience is that there is usually only a small benefit in doing these things yourself versus the simplicity of just getting it things sent to you.

You must have missed my previous post - they are quoting £55 for replacing the 500GB HDD with a 240GB SSD.

Does this take a 3.5" HDD or 2.5"?

It's not that I'm uncomfortable about doing it. It is just my experience is that there is usually only a small benefit in doing these things yourself versus the simplicity of just getting it things sent to you.

You must have missed my previous post - they are quoting £55 for replacing the 500GB HDD with a 240GB SSD.

Does this take a 3.5" HDD or 2.5"?

Yeah sorry i missed the most recent post and the SSD upgrade options were not available when i posted the original link.

It will be a 2.5" Hard Drive in this format. With the VAT-free purchase and the 10% discount code you can still get the upgrades you want within your budget so i would probably go with the SSD upgrade from them and avoid any problems with voiding the 12 month warranty if you perform the upgrade yourself.

They are a good company to deal with and i have been happy with any purchase i have made from them.

When you're buying 2nd hand and on a low budget, I would avoid the NUC's. They're all low clocked ULV dual cores, grand for light and odd stuff but nowhere near as fast, or with the longevity, of the SFF and USFF machines you're looking at otherwise - which are also fully upgradable from quad core/quad thread (4th gen i5) to quad core/octo thread (4th gen i7).

A modern 2018 NUC would have the new generation i5's, which are true quad core, higher clocked, lower power, higher cache, etc...but these are considerably more expensive. But for your budget, the best value and longevity is definitely to be found in an SFF/USFF machine with uses desktop CPU's.

An SSD is 100% worth it, very easy to install yourself but if you prefer to get it done, up to you. A 240GB is plenty for casual use/office work without having to worry about space - though, if you bought your own €40 120GB M2 drive for the OS, you could use that for Windows, and use the 500GB for storage - if storage is important.

The SSD they would install would be a 2.5" to replace the 500GB drive, not supplement it. SSD's come in two factors - standard 2.5" (same as a 2.5" HDD) or M2 format, which is it's own thing and slots into the motherboard, leaving all HDD spaces/power cables free for additional drives.

Pulled the trigger on the 9020M and the stand. Went for the 240GB SSD as recommended.
    Purchasing a Dell 2418D monitor to match my other 2 monitors so that they will be interchangeable.

Thanks for all your help throughout this!

cunavalos - thanks also for that discount code. It made a nice difference :)

Checking through my posts and I thought I'd provide an update on this. Bought the 9020M and it is excellent for what we require. I've teamed it with a Dell P2418D monitor and a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.
    Performance from the PC is great and really happy with the purchase and itzoo.

Thanks.

Might have to work from home now due to Covid-19.

Can I set the 9020M up easily to support two P2418D monitors? I stupidly forgot to check the rear of the PC at the weekend, but from Google images it seems they have a display port and a VGA port.

I'm not sure that the monitors can be daisy-chained.

Spec is just above in post 21: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107684856&postcount=21

Display: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-24-monitor-p2418d/apd/210-ampy/monitors-monitor-accessories

I have two of these monitors and they do not support MST. In fact, the easy way to detect if a monitor supports daisy chaining is the presence of a second DP connector, marked as OUT, which these monitors do not have.

I find it odd that a PC would have DP output and no HDMI out. I hope you've got one of those, and then you connect one on DP and one on HDMI. The manual I found for this model suggests that there might be an addon card that could be installed to give you an additional HDMI or DP output. See here.

• Advertisement

I've no idea as to what it has as I'm not at home currently. All I've got to go on is the image in post 21 which does not mention HDMI.
    I've asked for a photo so hopefully someone will send one up and I can get the right cables - betya the shops are cleared out of them now though :(

Advertisement