Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"How was that their highest charting single?"

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I more meant in terms of radio play. Once Masses was no longer in the charts it was never heard from again. That was definitely the point being made about other bands earlier in the threads. Maybe I dont listen to the same radio stations you do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Masses Against The Classes was also a standalone (non-album) single which meant it has slipped through the cracks somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭its_steve116

What was Megadeth's highest charting track in the UK? Was it "Peace Sells", "Symphony of Destruction", "Á Tout le Monde", etc?

Nope! It was a cover of Alice Cooper's "No More Mr. Nice Guy", which reached #13 in 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gabria

Just found this out last night while checking Snow Patrol's discography.

Chasing Cars reached #6 in the UK charts. it was the highest selling single from any act not to get into the UK top five, back in 2006.

Was it at least their highest charting single ? Nope.

Was it "Run" or "You're all I have" ? Nope, they were both top ten but neither got as high as.....

"Signal Fire" from the Spider Man 3 film in 2007. #4

Like wtf I watched the film (forgettable) but never even can remember this song

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

A lot of the time the performance of a single didn't reflect the songs popularity as there were other things affecting sales. Typically a single would sell better if it wasn't available on an album or it by the kind of act that were never going to sell albums. Also the competition can be much stronger at certain times of the year. One song hit by both of these was Wonderwall which was out a month after the album was released. Even then it was one of the biggest singles of the year but it was out the same day as a Robson & Jerome release which was guaranteed to be a huge seller and so missed out on being No.1.

• Advertisement

Good points. Timing is crucial. Five Star's System Addict was the seventh and final single from Luxury Of Life but was released in that quiet period just after the Christmas 1985 rush. It resulted in chart peak of #3 which was a big surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Actually, that's an example of a song that does not surprise me as it is one of the first songs I think of when I hear Five Star mentioned.

The surprise was that a seventh single from an album would be its biggest hit. Normally the later singles from an album don’t do as well. Agree it’s a well known tune albeit it isn’t their chart peak (Rain Or Shine made #2)

Wu Tang Clan's only UK top 5 hit was a remix of Texas's "Say What You Want", subtitled "All Day Every Day". "Gravel Pit" only reached #6.

So you may know that The Cure's only UK top 5 hit was "Lullaby". But did you know that they got to #2 in the US with "Lovesong", three places higher than they ever charted in their homeland? Even more interestingly, the only place they've had a #1 single was in Spain - and that was with ‘The Only One’, ‘Freakshow’ and ‘Sleep When I’m Dead’, all in 2008.

• Advertisement

Lullaby was the lead single for Disintegration and there was a lot of expectancy / anticipation surrounding it. No surprise it did well. The accompanying concerts, The Prayer Tour, was supposed to be their swansong. Coincidentally Lullaby and Lovesong are the two Cure singles that are hardest to tell apart from their album versions (both single mixes are very subtle in their respective differences)

I've literally just learnt that REO Speedwagon's "I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore" only got to #16 in the UK! That is nine places lower than their only top 10 there, "Keep on Lovin' You".

Most consecutive Top 40 hits between 1991 and 2010

Until December 2004 Snoop Dogg's highest charting UK single as a lead artist was "Snoop's Upside Your Head" with Charlie Wilson, which got to #12 in 1996. He did however have two UK top 10 hits as a featured artist on Dr. Dre's songs "Still D.R.E." and "The Next Episode" in 2000.

Tony Bennett's only UK top 10 hit was the 1955 chart-topper "Stranger in Paradise".

"(I Left My Heart in) San Francisco" only got to #25!

Janet Jackson, Rhythm Nation album. UK single chart peaks:

*"I Miss You Much": #22

*"Rhythm Nation": #23

*"Escapade": #17

*"Alright": #20

*"Come Back to Me": #20

*"Black Cat": #15

*"Love Will Never Do": #34

*"State of the World": didn't chart

I think this, too, gives an inaccurate picture of the overall success as well. Certified platinum there.

very poor performance in UK. Badly needs a SDE with all the remixes & edits.

New Edition were very popular in the 1980s and are best remembered for their 1983 hit "Candy Girl" which was a #1 hit in the UK. (By the way, the lead singer on that song wasn't Bobby Brown, but rather Ralph Tresvant.)

However, in their native US, it only got to number... 46!!!

Their highest charting single in their homeland was their 1996 reunion single "Hit Me Off", which peaked at #3!!!!

Advertisement