Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creating a lawn

Options
  • 11-03-2018 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I have a piece of ground at the back of my house which I would like to turn into a lawn. The field has some rushes and weeds. What steps should I take to make a nice lawn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If it has rushes, the first thing it needs is, drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭fire_man

Water John wrote: »
    If it has rushes, the first thing it needs is, drainage.

Thanks, its actually not very wet. I was thinking cut them and spray then later rotavate?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

fire_man wrote: »
    I have a piece of ground at the back of my house which I would like to turn into a lawn. The field has some rushes and weeds. What steps should I take to make a nice lawn?
    It really depends on how big the space is. If it is not too big, dig up the ground yourself and get rid of all weeds, scutch grass, debris, blocks under the soil: basically anything which should not be there. If it's big, use a cultivator (rent,) or plenty of elbow grease. Once the ground underneath has been turned, and is half decent add top soil, and compost and flatten/roll to whichever level you'd like. Then wait 1/2 weeks to allow soil to settle in. Then add your grass seed and water regularly, especially in dry weather. All in all a 3-8 wk job if using seed. I did all the above 2 years ago in a small semi d garden. Good luck.

cowboyjoe wrote: »
    It really depends on how big the space is. If it is not too big, dig up the ground yourself and get rid of all weeds, scutch grass, debris, blocks under the soil: basically anything which should not be there. If it's big, use a cultivator (rent,) or plenty of elbow grease. Once the ground underneath has been turned, and is half decent add top soil, and compost and flatten/roll to whichever level you'd like. Then wait 1/2 weeks to allow soil to settle in. Then add your grass seed and water regularly, especially in dry weather. All in all a 3-8 wk job if using seed. I did all the above 2 years ago in a small semi d garden. Good luck.

great thanks for that

Hi ,I am looking to spray rushes this week? What spray should I use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Madeleine jolly

fire_man wrote: »
    Hi ,I am looking to spray rushes this week? What spray should I use?

Can you dig them up instead of spraying.

Can you dig them up instead of spraying.

I have sprayed these already.Alot of them to dig.

Advertisement