Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I report this

Options
  • 11-03-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey this is probably a trivial question but is it appropriate for an employee of a takeaway to use my name and email from a just eat order and use it to find me on Facebook and send a friend request? I’ve the security settings very tight on Facebook, photo hidden, only searchable by email or friends of friends etc. I ordered on just eat last night and woke up to a friendship request this morning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Hey this is probably a trivial question but is it appropriate for an employee of a takeaway to use my name and email from a just eat order and use it to find me on Facebook and send a friend request? I’ve the security settings very tight on Facebook, photo hidden, only searchable by email or friends of friends etc. I ordered on just eat last night and woke up to a friendship request this morning

No it's not right. Complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It would be a breach of data protection.

Message back not interested and state data protection and then up to you whether you report to the store owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Absolutely complain and raise it with the Data Commissioner as we'll.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Completely inappropriate misuse of your personal data. And weirdly it’s not the first time I’ve heard of this happening in the fast food delivery world.

Make a complaint to Just Eat and the restaurant. If you’re not happy, then you can also complain to the DPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

only searchable by email or friends of friends

AFAIK they dont get your email, just your phone number....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

ED E wrote: »

AFAIK they dont get your email, just your phone number....

That’s also searchable on Facebook.

OP-how do you know they got your number/email this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Confused1aaa

Batgurl wrote: »
    That’s also searchable on Facebook.

OP-how do you know they got your number/email this way?

I can’t think of any other way he could possibly have gotten it, we’ve no mutual friends, and I’ve never seen / met him other than the times he’s served me in the takeaway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If he knows your name, he just enters it in the search bar and those with that name in the near vicinity will show up first.

Its as simple as that for Facebook

I can’t think of any other way he could possibly have gotten it, we’ve no mutual friends, and I’ve never seen / met him other than the times he’s served me in the takeaway

I’ve been suggested friends on FB who I’ve merely been sitting beside.

It’s been proven that apps like FB access your microphone when your not using them for marketing purposes so it’s not a huge stretch that they will suggest friends based on GPS proximity.

Given technology these days I wouldn’t jump to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

dudara wrote: »
    Completely inappropriate misuse of your personal data. And weirdly it’s not the first time I’ve heard of this happening in the fast food delivery world.
    Wasn't there a very similar thread before?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Facebook could have suggested you as a friend to him/her based on the fact that you shared a location.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Facebook could have suggested you as a friend to him/her based on the fact that you shared a location.

Would have more chance of winning the Lotto than a friend request based on location after doing a take away order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Would have more chance of winning the Lotto than a friend request based on location after doing a take away order.

i wouldnt be so sure. my accountant popped up one time. she works for a company and rings from their phone, anythime i ring its to the main office.
    iv been there loads of times . we have no comon friends and she is in a town close by but not really conected to.
    is it a coinsidence

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

i wouldnt be so sure. my accountant popped up one time. she works for a company and rings from their phone, anythime i ring its to the main office. iv been there loads of times . we have no comon friends and she is in a town close by but not really conected to. is it a coinsidence

Have you ever emailed your accountant? I've a load of people I had tenuous links to from years ago regularly pop up in friend suggestions because they get included in my list of Google contacts. They also appear in FB because of access to my contacts.

As for the OPs query, all you need is a name and search FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Have you ever emailed your accountant? I've a load of people I had tenuous links to from years ago regularly pop up in friend suggestions because they get included in my list of Google contacts. They also appear in FB because of access to my contacts.

As for the OPs query, all you need is a name and search FB.

i dont think so but i might have

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've a "friend" in the US who plays the same game as me for the past few years - he popped up on LinkedIn as a contact I might know (I was shocked and surprised and so was he).
    I'm not even that much in to all these social media thingies (read don't use FB or Twitter or whatever)

Morale of the story - don't assume the worst!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

fritzelly wrote: »
    I've a "friend" in the US who plays the same game as me for the past few years - he popped up on LinkedIn as a contact I might know (I was shocked and surprised and so was he).
    I'm not even that much in to all these social media thingies (read don't use FB or Twitter or whatever)

Morale of the story - don't assume the worst!

The OP said they had a friend request, not a friend suggestion. They are entirely different things.

That means the person tracked them down and added them intentionally.

There's no coincidence in this story, just someone stepping way over the line.

The OP said they had a friend request, not a friend suggestion. They are entirely different things.

That means the person tracked them down and added them intentionally.

There's no coincidence in this story, just someone stepping way over the line.

I think the point was that the OTHER person may have had a friend suggestion of the OP and either took the opportunity presented or, like I’ve done myself many times, accidentally tapped add friend with clumsy thumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The OP said they had a friend request, not a friend suggestion. They are entirely different things. .
    I was wondering if the OP had got it wrong and meant suggestion.

The cleaner in my place turned up as a friend suggestion to me. I had no idea how, but then copped it was since I had given him my phone number in case he forgot the code or otherwise needed help.

Similar happened to a friend of mine who was going mental that some customer of his was looking him up or something. When I told him about the phone number thing it made sense to him.

This could all be innocent enough, the employee might have got the OP as a suggested friend and just clicked it and ends up asking for a friend request. Many people just want to have a high friend count, there is one guy I know who is "friends" with loads of people and "bots" on facebook. Maybe the OP has the same name as one of his real acquaintances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Sounds creepy and stalker-y to me.
    Is at least report it to just eat.
    If there's any persistence from the person who did it you might need to involve the Gardaí

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Change your profile details on just eat and report it to both just eat and the takeaway.

Advertisement