Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Carragher: Spitting and suspension from Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt until I saw the footage.

Full throttle spit towards the window of a 14 year old girl. Media career ending stuff.

What he did was scummy, but the father of the daughter behaved like a scumbag too.

There now, am I the 56th person to have made that point on this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

martyos121 wrote: »
    It’s sad but not surprising to see fans of a certain team in here foaming at the mouth (pun very much intended) at what Carragher did. It was the height of scumbaggery without a doubt, but there’s a vocal majority using the incident to score points over another set of fans, and that’s just a little bit desperate.

Keep at it anyway lads, not like you’ve ever defended players who assaulted fans. Sure one of ye is even named after such a man. :rolleyes:
    Ironic who the OP is named after has a very famous spitting incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt until I saw the footage.

Full throttle spit towards the window of a 14 year old girl. Media career ending stuff.

The optics of it really are quite bad, sometimes with a spit you don't really see anything and its only the context that lets you know what happened. Not in this case though, its a big dirty spray that just looks disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

brevity wrote: »
    The thread title would be a great name for his autobiography.

Thread title could be "Carragher's DNA found on 14 year old girl". :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

He should of went with blacked out windows for the jeep, it would reduce incidents of abuse like this.

Esse85 wrote: »
    He should of went with blacked out windows for the jeep, it would reduce incidents of abuse like this.

I can see the headlines...

"Spit At Yer Kid" Carragher Blacks Up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Or he could have ignored them.

Crazy idea but it might have worked too.

And I'd hardly say he was abused. Friendly banter is what it was. He must have a poor sense of humour if he was offended by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I like listening to Jamie on Sky, he is both passionate and has great incite. Sure he is a little biased towards Liverpool but that is a natural thing i would imagine (see Gary Neville and Graham Souness for similar).

BUT there is simply no excuse for spitting at anyone, especially a kid.

I can't see a way back from this for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Didn't he throw a coin at Arsenal supporters a few years back?

He really should know better than to get involved in this type of needless shenanigans at his age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I can't see a way back from this for him.

Absolutely moronic thing to do, in fairness. Hard to know what Sky will do. They kept on Kirsty Gallacher who was driving with her kids while nearly 3 times over the drink-drive limit. But, it all depends on the level of public outcry - that will determine if Sky feel they need to sack Carragher. Personally, I think he'll get away with a suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I found a few of the Sky headlines funny.

Former Liverpool player apologizes.....Not Sky Sports pundit apologizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Horrible act by a stupid man. If he keeps his job fair enough that’s Sky’s call but how can his punditry be taken seriously if that is his level of disdain for one or two teams and his inability to control his emotions.
    On another note related to this thread and the two supertreads, I stopped getting so caught up if the football team I support win or loose about twenty years ago. I realized I have no input or control on the outcome. It makes it easier, enjoy when results go your way and sure what about it if they don’t. There is always another game. I read the soccer forum a lot and the predictable childish back and fro is a little sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

As much as we are all passionate about football, looking at the vid you have to remind yourself it's only a game. Fairly pathetic showing by both adults involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

NIMAN wrote: »
    Or he could have ignored them.

Crazy idea but it might have worked too.

And I'd hardly say he was abused. Friendly banter is what it was. He must have a poor sense of humour if he was offended by that.

You heard the full version of events did you?
    Please share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You heard the full version of events did you?
    Please share.

Eh?

If you're on a motorway and you ignore the opposite car, they'll eventually get bored and leave you alone.

Anyone see the footage of Carragher walking to get train to go see Sky? 2 reporters ask him the same question about 8 different times, obviously trying to get a rise out of him. They didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Its really surprising, I would have assumed that these media guys would all have been extensively schooled on the fact that they will be in the public eye and that one little slip could end their career right there and then.

Its an age where footballers put their hands over their mouth before speaking to a teammate on the pitch, where numerous commentators have been sacked for one ill advised comment, a world of mobile phones and social media where you have to assume at all times that your indiscretion is being filmed and that it will be online before you even get home and calmed down.

I would have thought these high profile footballers and media guys would have it beaten into them not to react to any of these morons hurling abuse, I guess the United victory really got under his skin that day.

it doesn't matter how trained you are, if you are thin skinned, and take football rivalries way too seriously, then the mask is always prone to slipping.

sad, but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Absolutely moronic thing to do, in fairness. Hard to know what Sky will do. They kept on Kirsty Gallacher who was driving with her kids while nearly 3 times over the drink-drive limit. But, it all depends on the level of public outcry - that will determine if Sky feel they need to sack Carragher. Personally, I think he'll get away with a suspension.

The thing is, rightly or wrongly, a video of a man reacting in that manner and spitting in the direction of a child (whether he hit or not is irrelevant) will play out worse in the public eye then a story of (an attractive) woman picking up her kids while still being over the legal limit. That is just the world we live in.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I found a few of the Sky headlines funny.

Former Liverpool player apologizes.....Not Sky Sports pundit apologizes.

I found your reaction of "club legend" more unusual tbh

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106409956&postcount=6049

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I found your reaction of "club legend" more unusual tbh

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106409956&postcount=6049

God bless you and your ability to pick and and choose posts to quote without understanding posting history of the Superthreads.

Maybe keep reading and pick and the rest of the posts but of course you wouldn't want all the posts quoted that would take away from all the likes you are after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Agent Coulson has always been forthright and honest in the lfc superthread about his lack of love for Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you understand the meaning of the word some? I specifically said some because I didn’t mean all.

I am not stupid or getting into the pedantic interpretation of posts,

If it's only some, then why comment on them and not mention the majority of Liverpool supporters who have criticised Carragher over his actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

murpho999 wrote: »
    I am not stupid or getting into the pedantic interpretation of posts,

If it's only some, then why comment on them and not mention the majority of Liverpool supporters who have criticised Carragher over his actions?

There’s no pedantic interpretation. I literally said the word SOME.

Oh and because criticising him is normal and expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Vile act.

The state of Liverpool fans trying to defend/deflect away from what he did.

"But that dad was recording and driving!!!111"

****ing hell - it's a disgusting act, he deserves whatever he gets, no-one's defending it, stop talking bull****.

Any excuse to have a dig at rival fans - can you not find a football-related one?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Disgusting. Spitting at someone is horrible nevermind its a 14 year old girl.

What I'm most surprised at is how thin his skin was here. Just drive on mate. I dont know what else, is said as the video only shows him shouting 2-1, which is hardly abuse.

Reckon he'll get the boot from Sky and deservedly.

rob316 wrote: »

What I'm most surprised at is how thin his skin was here. Just drive on mate. I dont know what else, is said as the video only shows him shouting 2-1, which is hardly abuse.

This. It’s so easy to ignore. Don’t roll down the window and it’s impossible to hear him. No need to even glance in his direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

As a neutral I have to say that he should get the road. That's disgraceful behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Should the fella lose his job though? If there is no video footage, would he lose his job?

Someone pointed at Kirsty Gallagher and what she did was much worse but there was no public outcry?

I’m not defending Carragher. What he did was stupid, childish and dangerous but if he gave someone a smack in a nightclub, for example, and it wasn’t recorded, I’m not sure people would be calling for his head this way.

If he does get fired, he has no one to blame but himself but I just think it’s harsh and will be because he got caught on camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

getting fired would not be harsh at all. far from it.

the lad is paid millions a year by Sky. he's in the public eye, and is a poster boy of sorts for Sky. his dynamic with Neville is one of the station's big selling points. he is paid for his public image and what it means to Sky as much as he is paid for his analysis.

he must hold himself to a higher standard. it's just the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

SlickRic wrote: »

the lad is paid millions a year by Sky. he's in the public eye, and is a poster boy of sorts for Sky. his dynamic with Neville is one of the station's big selling points. he is paid for his public image and what it means to Sky as much as he is paid for his analysis.

What's the bets that the injured parties will be invited onto Sky and there'll be a very public handshake.
    He won't be on MNF tonight anyway because of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

It was ****ty what he did but I'd hate if he was fired, he is a good pundit but the media could really put the pressure on sky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

SlickRic wrote: »

And that’s not an unreasonable position.

However, how could Sky justify sacking him for this when they continue to employ a woman who was convicted of driving three times over the limit with her daughter in the car.

There are two things at play here in my view. Carragher is higher profile and he was unlucky enough to be caught on camera which makes this a whole lot worse for him. I’d just be a bit uncomfortable with him being sacked and those two factors having what I would see as a deciding influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Waterproof t shirts being printed on Merseyside as we speak.

More like Liverpool lining out with "Justice for Carra" shirts for their next game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully that's the last we ever see of Carragher, vile little creature.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Tbf, he spat at the driver, not the girl. I know he hit her but you can see his anger is directed at the person that's giving him the stick. There was no way he was going hit the driver from that distance though and and so it seems he has an exaggerated sense of his accuracy and aim at distance, but then he did play for Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

sheroman01 wrote: »
    More like Liverpool lining out with "Justice for Carra" shirts for their next game...

grow up. what sort of idiot even begins to think Liverpool or anyone will see this as defendable?

Its fcuk all got to do with Liverpool either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

More like Sky News lining out with "Justice for Carra" shirts for their next game...

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He has absolutely nothing to do with Liverpool anymore. I didn't realise kids were allowed phones in school anyway :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Tbf, he spat at the driver, not the girl. I know he hit her but you can see his anger is directed at the person that's giving him the stick. There was no way he was going hit the driver from that distance though and and so it seems he has an exaggerated sense of his accuracy and aim at distance, but then he did play for Liverpool.

With his own goal record it's a wonder it didn't blow back and hit him in the face.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dcully wrote: »
    grow up. what sort of idiot even begins to think Liverpool or anyone will see this as defendable?

Its fcuk all got to do with Liverpool either.

Ah but it does!!

He was provoked and reacted like the man he is.

Caught rotten by the camera.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He has absolutely nothing to do with Liverpool anymore. I didn't realise kids were allowed phones in school anyway :confused:

It's not just kids :eek: as we seen from the video the only person with sense was the youngest person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I wouldn't be surprised if Jamie had a few on board, and i'm not talking passengers.

Has the club released a statement yet?

it's got about as much to do with Liverpool as it did to United when Ryan giggs was caught shagging his brothers wife. Fcuk all

Anyone making this a United vs Liverpool thing would want to grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I wouldn't be surprised if Jamie had a few on board, and i'm not talking passengers.

What club who does he play for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Should the fella lose his job though? If there is no video footage, would he lose his job?

Someone pointed at Kirsty Gallagher and what she did was much worse but there was no public outcry?

I’m not defending Carragher. What he did was stupid, childish and dangerous but if he gave someone a smack in a nightclub, for example, and it wasn’t recorded, I’m not sure people would be calling for his head this way.

If he does get fired, he has no one to blame but himself but I just think it’s harsh and will be because he got caught on camera.

If it wasn't recorded then no-one would know what the lad he smacked had said or done to elicit a reaction. In this case we can see that the man said "2-1 Jamie lad" which should not elicit the reaction that was forthcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Guy must have a short fuse.

"2-1! 2-1 Jamie!" The goading wasn't even bad.

That said, the girl sounded pissed off with her father too in the video.

Club? Last time I checked he represents Sky

J. Marston wrote: »
    Guy must have a short fuse.

"2-1! 2-1 Jamie!" The goading wasn't even bad.

That said, the girl sounded pissed off with her father too in the video.

Yeah but don’t forget he could have ran over a bunch of Liverpool fans while shouting Hillsborough chants just before the bit we see.
    The “2-1 Jamie” just tipped him over the edge.

What club who does he play for?

He's obviously refering to Team Sky (probably should have posted in the cycing forum)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Ah but it does!!

He was provoked and reacted like the man he is.

Caught rotten by the camera.

Enlighten us

• Advertisement
Advertisement