Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of Clontarf 10 Mile

• 12-03-2018 3:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi Folks

The Battle of Clontarf 10 Mile takes place on Easter Monday.

The race starts at 10am on Easter Monday and includes the Leinster 10 Mile championship.

Entry fee €20.

Enter at www.rahenyshamrock.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Is there a route map for the race available online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

KJ wrote: »
    Is there a route map for the race available online?
    http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?attachment_id=1372

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I remember paying for this but didn't get an email with receipt or any info but I did for the 5 miler in January.

Are numbers posted out or collected on race day?

Edit: Nevermind, number arrived in post today :)
    Looking forward to this, it's my tune-up race for Brighton marathon 2 weeks after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Might try it although I have not run that distance yet this year. Usually a good even although the map looks a bit confusing

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Might try it although I have not run that distance yet this year. Usually a good even although the map looks a bit confusing

This has a description along with the above image, might clear things up a bit. I still find it pretty tricky to follow all the same.

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?p=1373

• Advertisement

Wow that's confusing. Plenty of people to follow though so I should be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

KJ wrote: »
    Wow that's confusing. Plenty of people to follow though so I should be fine.

I don't plan on winning either so I should be ok. The question is at what mile I will be lapped at:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mileybichon

Anyone know if there is water stations at the race tomorrow? If so, how many + bottles or cups? Trying to decide whether to bring water belt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Anyone know if there is water stations at the race tomorrow? If so, how many + bottles or cups? Trying to decide whether to bring water belt

Last year there was a water station you ran past twice,giving out bottles IIRC

How'd you all get on?
    Bit of a mudbath in parts and the head wind on the coast was a killer but otherwise enjoyable. Well marshalled and the rain held off for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I liked it, some difference from last year when the weather was great. Well organized as ever. It's probably my favourite distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

Agree with Dub13. Great race. Conditions made it tough but I like when you feel you have to dig deep in the middle of a race. Well done to organisers, Stewart's and everyone who helped out

Loved it, and got a PB despite the harsh weather. Regretting wear my new race-day Nikes, didn't foresee all the muck :(

Fair play to stewards, that was a tough day to stand around in whereas the racers got the opportunity to get warm.

Really enjoyed the race. Almost slipped on the first cross country section but stayed up. Wasn't aiming for any particular time but came within 34 seconds of my PB which was good. Finished in 1.17.58.
    Will definitely do it again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Was the distance ok?

Came out with 15.9 on stryd foot pod so trees not an issue. Hard to believe +/- 100m per lap. Could that many corners etc. really account for differences??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

That race always measures short, at least on my Garmin, due to all the tree cover and sharp little turns. The last two years my watch has measured it as short as <9.85 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I like the race, and the distance, but the twists and turns make it a strain on these old knees.

estariol wrote: »
    Was the distance ok?

Came out with 15.9 on stryd foot pod so trees not an issue. Hard to believe +/- 100m per lap. Could that many corners etc. really account for differences??

Mine measured 15.9 aswell but I have done parkrun in St Anne's 90 times and it never measures correctly. It loses it at the bridge going over the river at the end of the avenue. Have a look at your maps. It usually has me mapped as cutting through the trees and splashing through the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Resurrecting last years thread - I’ve registered for this race only yesterday. Does anyone know where number pick up will be for those of us late committers who missed the post out date? Or a contact for someone who might know? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Candamir wrote: »
    Resurrecting last years thread - I’ve registered for this race only yesterday. Does anyone know where number pick up will be for those of us late committers who missed the post out date? Or a contact for someone who might know? Thanks

Last time I ran it, number collection was at the Red Stables

• Advertisement

I am in the same boat in that I only registered yesterday. Number pick up last year was in the Red Stables which is a short walk from the start line.

Gonna be sunny so wondering how to deal with other park users. Last year we had the park to ourselves as it was a fairly sh1tty day but this year the park will be busy. Looking forward to it. Much better prepared than I was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Is there a bag drop at this? Late registration so I didn’t get all the details. Thanks

Nice run again. Big difference to last year weatherwise. It was like a different course.
    Beat my last year time by 4 minutes so happy enough. Still alot of room to improvr though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Ran it myself yesterday, and a lovely run in great weather... Plenty of support from the crowds.

Pushed as hard as my training allowed and happy to get under 70m again, which is getting harder and harder these days :mad:

Looks like it was short again this year!

estariol wrote: »
    Looks like it was short again this year!

I run parkrun in St Anne's every week and it always measures short. The bridge over the Naniken River is where my garmin miscalculates. We crossed that bridge twice yesterday.

didn't use gps used stryd foot pod. Still about 100m short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Out of interest was it AAI certified?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I'd take any short readings on Garmin over that route with a pinch of salt, so many sharp turns\plenty of tree cover at times...the watch will never be accurate ( it isn't accurate anyway but it'll be even less accurate running 10 miles around St Anne's)

• Advertisement

I think you missed the point, the distance was short according to www.stryd.com footpod not a garmin gps watch. Nevermind the fact that if you run at a consistent pace (again from footpod) you know based on your time if the course is short.

Advertisement