Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citroen Nemo van insurance for 18 year old

Options
  • 12-03-2018 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have came across a Nemo for a good deal.
    I am an 18 year old with a provisional license with no named driver experience or NCB.
    I am an electrical apprentice and need a a van but am getting quotes 7 to 8 grand by most companies that will even give me a quote. The van is a 75 hp 1.4 hdi. Is there any way this will come down if I get my full license or NCB or what is the best way to get insurance on it ?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's "licence" with a c in all the English speaking world, except USA. Don't get sucked in by the yanks ;)

You really need to do more legwork. Try all the places in the List of insurers

Also read through the results from this search
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

And do get your full licence asap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭irishairsoft1

Do excuse my spelling error that post was posted in a rush haha. Cheers guys I rang around 10 of them and none would take me on. Would I get NCB if I am a named driver on the parents car?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

It's this kind of things that you'll actually need to ring every one of them unfortunately. If you're not in a rush, do get some named driver experience (at least 2-3 years) on one your parent policy but not every insurer will take that in account.

What you could do as well is name your parents on your policy, it usually bring the price right down.

I had my parents down as named drivers and they still didn't want to give me a quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Do excuse my spelling error that post was posted in a rush haha. Cheers guys I rang around 10 of them and none would take me on. Would I get NCB if I am a named driver on the parents car?

I'm a named driver on my mam's policy with Axa (on a learner's permit as well) and they'll give me a bit of a NCB when I look to get my own policy. Might be something to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Try a good independent broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Commercial policy is a different game to named driver on a private car policy.

Remember you can't legally drive unless accompanied anyway so I would get licence 1st.

Better of getting NCB on a small car like Micra or Yaris. You be surprised what they can carry.
    Put seats down and a roof rack.

Let your employer worry about transport for their huge profits they will make off you.

Was at that years ago and sure from the end of year one I was left off on my own most of the time and he was charging full electrician prices plus vat.

If doing again I wouldn't be using my own car again or keep.

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    I'm a named driver on my mam's policy with Axa (on a learner's permit as well) and they'll give me a bit of a NCB when I look to get my own policy. Might be something to look into.

Ah not so bad then so. I will look into it

Commercial policy is a different game to named driver on a private car policy.

Remember you can't legally drive unless accompanied anyway so I would get licence 1st.

Better of getting NCB on a small car like Micra or Yaris. You be surprised what they can carry.
    Put seats down and a roof rack.

Let your employer worry about transport for their huge profits they will make off you.

Was at that years ago and sure from the end of year one I was left off on my own most of the time and he was charging full electrician prices plus vat.

If doing again I wouldn't be using my own car again or keep.

Cheers for the advice definitely something to be cautious about

• Advertisement
Advertisement