Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting cloudfare captcha screen on every visit

Options
  • 12-03-2018 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭

Roughly 2 weeks ago I started to see the "I am not a robot" tick a box captcha page whenever I go to www.boards.ie

This is still happening on work laptop (Macbook pro running sierra - in work and at home), on home laptop (Macbook air running sierra) and on phone (galaxy s6 accessing the mobile site). Both macbooks are using chrome to access it and the issue is reproducible with incognito mode.

I am accessing from London, not on a vpn when home. Work network is likely behind one

Let me know if I can give any more info

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Your Location says London, so I presume you're on a UK IP address. Cloudflare is more paranoid about IPs outside the expected demographic unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Spear wrote: »
    Your Location says London, so I presume you're on a UK IP address. Cloudflare is more paranoid about IPs outside the expected demographic unfortunately.

Yep I am in London.

It's not a major pain, just odd that it only started recently (been accessing from London for 7 years) and has been consistently appearing every day.

I just assumed Boards had kicked security up a notch with regard to non Irish IPs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I get this regularly when browsing from work, would have a Dutch IP then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Also getting this but im mostly in the north (ni) on a sky uk router.
    Thought it was strange as if never happened before 2/3 weeks ago

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hopefully with the worst of the weather behind us, people will be seeing fewer issues now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Seeing the captcha page every day when I am logging in from 'America', I presume it is logging in from any country other than Ireland as I don't see it when logging in from Ireland, I presume when you mentioned the weather it was some kind of attack? If so it looks like ye weathered it well as the captcha page is the only sign of it I saw.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

The snowy weather recently meant that the Weather forum was extraordinarily busy in the run up to and during the snow event which out a lot of pressure on the site. At times we had about three times our usual traffic to the site. Mark literally did mean it was because of the weather :)

The Cloudflare captchas tend to be used more outside of Ireland than within, especially if there has been any potentially harmful traffic from a particular country/geographic location, it'll tighten up security from that area. Sometimes we'll also do that manually here too if we're being spammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Ah I thought it was a terrible great dad-joke pun about how the weather has improved, the cloud(flare) has cleared up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I am getting this all the time logging on from the states, is it set to continue for much longer?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Can you access the Legacy Site by clicking on the link from the header - beside your username - or in the footer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Can you access the Legacy Site by clicking on the link from the header - beside your username - or in the footer?

Yes, I actually always use the legacy site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Eir DSL, mobile and fiber and seeing cloudfare on each visit the last couple of days. I only ever use the legacy site, as the 'responsive' site is brutal.

Advertisement