Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb planning - commercial or residential

Options
  • 12-03-2018 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

We are currently looking to purchase an apartment/space within a city centre location walkable to everything.

I’ve been looking at office spaces which are mixed within a block of residential and commercial, they are literally an open plan space which could easily be converted but I like their locations.
    Both that I’ve looked at are not on ground level, one is on the first floor and the other is top floor.

However both are currently used as office space so I was hoping to purchase and then change into living space and then use as Airbnb full time, or when suitable perhaps live in it myself at some stage in the future.

I’ve read that the government had brought in new legislation to make planning exempt from changing from commercial to residential but this I fear will be for larger projects and not one offs ?
    If it’s going to be Airbnb will this be considered commercial use or residential use ? So would I need to change it’s term of use if I declare it’s intention, I imagine I would be liable for rates etc if I don’t ?

I’m just curious if anyone has ever done this or come across similar, please let me know and advise if possible.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Goosemen wrote: »
    I’ve been looking at office spaces which are mixed within a block of residential and commercial, they are literally an open plan space which could easily be converted but I like their locations.
    You need to also consider what the owners management company would make of short-term rentals.
    I’ve read that the government had brought in new legislation to make planning exempt from changing from commercial to residential but this I fear will be for larger projects and not one offs ?
    I don't know what this is, but I suspect you may have the wrong end of the stick on something.
    If it’s going to be Airbnb will this be considered commercial use or residential use ?
    Note that planning permission and taxation classes don't match exactly. The planning permission you would be looking for would be for 'short-tern residential use' or similar. Get professional advice.
    So would I need to change it’s term of use if I declare it’s intention, I imagine I would be liable for rates etc if I don’t ?
    An full-time Airbnb-type situation would likely attract rates. Otherwise you would be subject to LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Goosemen wrote: »
    If it’s going to be Airbnb will this be considered commercial use or residential use ? So would I need to change it’s term of use if I declare it’s intention, I imagine I would be liable for rates etc if I don’t ?

The Department of Housing are proposing legislation to allow converting commercial to residential without planning. This has not been brought in yet and will certainly not be allowed to be used for AirBnB. The intent is to increase the residential housing supply not increase short term rentals.

There is a difference in the use between 'residential' and 'short term letting' which is where your plan will fall down. You will still need planning permission for your proposal.

Advertisement