Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this right time to buy a house?

Options
  • 12-03-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭

We are a married couple and have been saving up to pay 15-20% initial cost on our first home.

We have been looking at new developments in our area (Limerick) and noticed an increase of 20-30k euros on houses which were initially 230k euros (4 bed semi-detached) about 8 months ago. And I feel the prices are going to continue going up and an estate agent told us to invest ASAP.

But we are worried that next year prices may go down, back to the range of 220k euros which suits our budget. So we are in the dilemma whether to continue paying 1000e every month as rent or invest in our own home?

Agent also told us even if there is a crash coming up, Dublin is mostly effected and Limerick will be effected by only few grands. Is this true?

Could someone with similar picture can share their experience please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tommythecat

We are a married couple and have been saving up to pay 15-20% initial cost on our first home.

We have been looking at new developments in our area (Limerick) and noticed an increase of 20-30k euros on houses which were initially 230k euros (4 bed semi-detached) about 8 months ago. And I feel the prices are going to continue going up and an estate agent told us to invest ASAP.

But we are worried that next year prices may go down, back to the range of 220k euros which suits our budget. So we are in the dilemma whether to continue paying 1000e every month as rent or invest in our own home?

Agent also told us even if there is a crash coming up, Dublin is mostly effected and Limerick will be effected by only few grands. Is this true?

If it’s your forever home then just buy it now. Nothing else makes any sense.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Estate agent wants to sell houses. Remember, he works for the seller, not you.

No one can tell you whether prices will keep going up, or come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

If you need a home, now is the time to buy. Do not buy a house for an investment.

I would not trust an estate agent if I asked him what the weather is like outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Yea we looking for a home.

Another silly question : do builders provide new development with the furniture? We saw the demo house with the furniture but it's not mentioned in the brochure that furniture comes along.
    SNNUS wrote: »
    If you need a home, now is the time to buy. Do not buy a house for an investment.

I would not trust an estate agent if I asked him what the weather is like outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Okay so back of the envelope calculation here

I'm assuming you guys are 32 years old. I had to pick a number so that was it.

If you buy now, at €230,000, with a 33 year mortgage, your repayments are €849 per month (assuming you go 3% fixed with BOI).

If you buy in a years time, and the price drops to €220k, you'll be taking out a 32 year mortgage. This drops your monthly repayments, but not by much because you're taking the loan out over a shorter period. So your repayment drops to €827 per month, a difference of €22.

However, you are taking the risk that prices won't go up. If prices go up to €240k next year, your repayment will be €901 per month, a difference of €51.

I also wouldn't believe a word that comes out of an estate agents mouth. It's in his interests for you to buy. Having said that, I'm not sure that prices will stagnate or drop next year, unless there's a large amount of supply i.e. new houses about to be launched next year. Could you check with your local planning authority to see what planning applications have been approved over the past year and how many are in the process of being approved? That will give you an idea of whether supply will meet demand.

Overall, the advice is, if you can afford €230k and you're not looking to sell the house in the next ten years (for god's sake don't buy into this "property ladder" bull) then I'd say buy now rather than wait until next year. I can't say I know too much about prices in Limerick, but I wager they haven't "bubbled" as much as Dublin. So when the burst finally comes (and I think it'll be 2021, but what do I know?), it won't reduce prices in Limerick by a huge amount - at least not enough to offset the fact that you'll be taking out a 28 year mortgage rather than a 33 year one (if it does happen in 2021), and your mortgage payments will increase accordingly.

• Advertisement

Yea we looking for a home.

Another silly question : do builders provide new development with the furniture? We saw the demo house with the furniture but it's not mentioned in the brochure that furniture comes along.

they'll sometimes put the showhouse up for sale at the very end of the process, i.e. when all the other houses are sold. Showhouses include furniture. All other houses come without furniture so factor that is as a cost. Most new build estates will have an incentive whereby if you sign your contracts within 28 days of your solicitor receiving them (usually pretty soon after you put down your booking deposit) they'll include the white goods, i.e. washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, fridge, freezer and cooker.

A huge thanks and a big shout out to JDD.

Your suggestion and opinion are very very helpful. Things are getting clearer now. We are new in this area, therefore so many questions on the mind.

We were hoping to go for 25 years mortgage but it looks like everyone is going for 30 or 35 years mortgage. Would 25 years mortgage save us couple of grands?

And you're dead right, we are in early thirties. Your guess is real close! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Flooring isn't included in new builds, you'll want 4-8k set aside for that.
    Another 1-2k for blinds/curtains.
    Maybe 500/1k for an alarm.
    And then all your regular furniture, so about 10k starting out I would say for a new build.

A huge thanks and a big shout out to JDD.

Your suggestion and opinion are very very helpful. Things are getting clearer now. We are new in this area, therefore so many questions on the mind.

We were hoping to go for 25 years mortgage but it looks like everyone is going for 30 or 35 years mortgage. Would 25 years mortgage save us couple of grands?

And you're dead right, we are in early thirties. Your guess is real close! :D

If you can pay down lump sums then go for a longer term, it's very difficult to reduce your payments (you basically need to be reapproved for a mortgage, which might be more difficult if you want to pay less!) so a longer term is usually a smarter choice.

I think flooring and tiling are included in the new house. I am copying what's written in brochure:

"Entrance hall has a solid oak flooring.
    All floor coverings standard as per show house i.e. wood flooring, tiles and carpets"

You're right we need to keep 15k for furniture, alarm system, and other small expenses to be in the safe side. Thanks for the heads up!
    GingerLily wrote: »
    Flooring isn't included in new builds, you'll want 4-8k set aside for that.
    Another 1-2k for blinds/curtains.
    Maybe 500/1k for an alarm.
    And then all your regular furniture, so about 10k starting out I would say for a new build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

If you can pay down lump sums then go for a longer term, it's very difficult to reduce your payments (you basically need to be reapproved for a mortgage, which might be more difficult if you want to pay less!) so a longer term is usually a smarter choice.

If you have a variable rate you can pay extra when you want. I pay around 700 a year extra to my mortgage and it has reduced my overall length by about 5 years, so far.

I sent a PM to you masterboy, but things in Limerick will not slow down as much, it is a city with solid infrastructure and not a commuter town Like Laois/Meath to Dublin.

The fact there are 4 colleges there, a prison, large hospital, massive state buildings etc will mean you should have "reasonable" protection from a downward trend.
    I own a few houses there and the price have neither fallen massively nor skyrocketed outside of certain areas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What often works out well for some people- is to fix the majority of the mortage at the best possible rate- and then leave a lump of it floating at a variable rate- so you get the best of both worlds- a very good rate on most of your mortgage- and the ability to pay off a lumpsum, should the opportunity arise. You do really need to split it in two though.

I read several articles recently comparing fixed vs variable mortgages. Most of them recommend fixed rate for the following reason :

The Irish housing market has been through a remarkably volatile and unpredictable period, and many believe we're still years away from reliable stability. This could explain why more and more borrowers are opting for the certainty of fixed rate mortgages.

If you have a variable rate you can pay extra when you want. I pay around 700 a year extra to my mortgage and it has reduced my overall length by about 5 years, so far.

I sent a PM to you masterboy, but things in Limerick will not slow down as much, it is a city with solid infrastructure and not a commuter town Like Laois/Meath to Dublin.

The fact there are 4 colleges there, a prison, large hospital, massive state buildings etc will mean you should have "reasonable" protection from a downward trend.
    I own a few houses there and the price have neither fallen massively nor skyrocketed outside of certain areas.

Like 5 years fixed and LTV variable?
    Is that what you mean?
    What often works out well for some people- is to fix the majority of the mortage at the best possible rate- and then leave a lump of it floating at a variable rate- so you get the best of both worlds- a very good rate on most of your mortgage- and the ability to pay off a lumpsum, should the opportunity arise. You do really need to split it in two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

look at it this way though, in 1 year you will have paid 12,000 on rent and be 12,000 less paid on your mortgage, which you will inevitably have to pay anyway.

2 years is 24000, 3 years 36000 etc etc plus as i said another 36000 less you have not paid off your mortage, so a difference of 72000 if you want to look at it from a realistic point of view that somebody else mortgage is 36000 down and yours is too. people buyin a house as a home, shouldnt worry what the value of their house is in 3 or 4 years time, especially when you have rent to pay in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭SteM

I read several articles recently comparing fixed vs variable mortgages. Most of them recommend fixed rate for the following reason :

The Irish housing market has been through a remarkably volatile and unpredictable period, and many believe we're still years away from reliable stability. This could explain why more and more borrowers are opting for the certainty of fixed rate mortgages.

I would imagine more are going for fixed rather than variable because rates are expected to rise, so if you can fix at 3% for 3 or 5 years it provides some stability during that time.

Like 5 years fixed and LTV variable?
    Is that what you mean?

No- what I meant is two separate legal mortgages with the one lender- one fixed (e.g. for 80% of the mortgage) the other variable (for the remaining 20%). The 80% portion will be insulated against interest rate rises- while the remaining 20% will be floating freely- however, you'll have the possibility of paying down lumps off it if/when the opportunity arises.

I didn't know this was possible. Is 80% fixed and 20% variable a good acceptable ratio? I am sorry, I have no knowledge in this area.

No- what I meant is two separate legal mortgages with the one lender- one fixed (e.g. for 80% of the mortgage) the other variable (for the remaining 20%). The 80% portion will be insulated against interest rate rises- while the remaining 20% will be floating freely- however, you'll have the possibility of paying down lumps off it if/when the opportunity arises.

I didn't know this was possible. Is 80% fixed and 20% variable a good acceptable ratio? I am sorry, I have no knowledge in this area.
    Whats the maximum amount you realistically think you could pay back over the fixed term? 10k/25k? Variable that amount, because you only want to pay the potentially higher interest rate on that sum of money.

It depends on your particular circumstances- and how likely you imagine you'll be in a position to make lumpsum payments in future. I choose 80:20 at random- as its unlikely any particular couple would be in a position to lumpsum pay >20% You're in your early 30s, you have managed to save a lumpsum already- and while you don't have any kids just yet, your other half would like them in the next year or two. Regardless of how good you are at saving- your finances will be shattered once you have a kid or two- you have that on the horizon- however, between now and then- you could realistically knock a lump or two from the mortgage- after you've a child or two- forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

If you go fixed rate they usually let you pay off a percentage on top. I'm going with KBC 10 years fixed rate and during that period I can pay off 10% of the mortgage without penalties.

izzyflusky wrote: »
    If you go fixed rate they usually let you pay off a percentage on top. I'm going with KBC 10 years fixed rate and during that period I can pay off 10% of the mortgage without penalties.

Depends on the lender- typically you have to pay a penalty equal or greater to the foregone interest if you repay additional, other than scheduled, principle on a fixed rate product.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Far as I'm concerned, if you're buying a home, the right time to buy is when you the buyer find a property you like with a willing seller. Waiting for something that may never happen just seems crazy to me.

Also, imo, the only people you should take advice from are your broker (if you use one) and your solicitor. Nobody else in this process is on your side. Certainly not the bank or the EA.

Say we want to pay lump sump of 10k every 4 year on top of monthly fixed rate. Will this be feasible? Or the variable rate is over a certain period of time only?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Far as I'm concerned, if you're buying a home, the right time to buy is when you the buyer find a property you like with a willing seller. Waiting for something that may never happen just seems crazy to me.

Also, imo, the only people you should take advice from are your broker (if you use one) and your solicitor. Nobody else in this process is on your side. Certainly not the bank or the EA.

The broker and solicitor want their commission or fees. They are not entirely impartial. A solicitor or broker has no role in offering economic advice. There are points in the economic cycle when it is a good time to buy a house and other points where it is a bad time. The o/p is simply asking if this is a good time!

Say we want to pay lump sump of 10k every 4 year on top of monthly fixed rate. Will this be feasible? Or the variable rate is over a certain period of time only?

It depends on the lender- normally on the fixed rate products you cannot overpay the mortgage- without paying a penalty (which may be as much as the difference in interest rates between the fixed and variable rate products for the entire principle, not just the amount being overpaid.

Talk to a broker and decide on what is the best course of action for you. Ensure you fully understand the product you're buying- and what the implications of overpaying are- and don't rely on any verbal information you're given- get it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Some are starting to allow a percentage before applying any penalties so it's worth getting in touch with the bank/broker. KBC allows 10% of the total value over 10 years (for a 10 year fixed). A colleague was given an allowance too when going fixed with another bank but can't remember the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Dont forget that youre paying 1000 per month for rent which would go a long way towards a mortgage over the next 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Dont forget that youre paying 1000 per month for rent which would go a long way towards a mortgage over the next 12 months.

I don't think people really give renting it's fair dues.

Personally I pay 500e a month in a shared house. I have zero responsibility for anything that breaks or needs fixing.
    In the last year we've had plumbers, boiler repair, new furniture and new mattresses, which cost nothing extra and we don't lift a finger to fix it. We're not affected by the depreciation of everything inside the house. The garden is taken care of, plus we have the freedom to up sticks whenever.

No matter what way you go, a mortgage is a chain around your neck for 20-35 years. There are definitely a million benefits to owning a house, but it costs much more to run a house than the 1000-1500 euro a month to the bank.

I wouldn't even consider buying a house unless I had a child on the way and needed to put down roots.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't even consider buying a house unless I had a child on the way and needed to put down roots.

I know what you mean, there are definitely benefits to renting, especially if you're in a job that might move around. And remember, banks front load the interest, so if you're in a fairly stagnant market and you look to sell in five years, you won't have paid much off the capital, and you'll probably have spent more fixing things in the house (if it's second hand).

That all being said, there's no getting away from the fact that in most cases, you'll have paid off your mortgage when you retire. Don't underestimate this. Even if you were in the civil service you'll only be on half pay when you retire, and for most of our generation who may not have a pension or who have a non-guaranteed pension, you'll be on a lot less than half pay. Rent will be much more of a burden at that stage, whereas you won't be paying a mortgage payment by then. That alone makes it worth buying a property at some stage, even if you aren't married or don't have kids.

Advertisement