Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seedlings

Options
  • 12-03-2018 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi, I am trying to use less plastic in the garden so I made up planting trays with toilet roll inserts. Seeds are starting to come through but I just noticed this morning that there is a white mould starting to appear on the outside of the cardboard.
    Has anyone here tried to bring on seedlings this way and are the inserts ok to put into my flower beds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Pinky123 wrote: »
    Hi, I am trying to use less plastic in the garden so I made up planting trays with toilet roll inserts. Seeds are starting to come through but I just noticed this morning that there is a white mould starting to appear on the outside of the cardboard.
    Has anyone here tried to bring on seedlings this way and are the inserts ok to put into my flower beds

They should be fine but watch for 'dampening off' of the seedlings where too damp conditions cause them to fail.

From the photo - perhaps back off on the watering a little bit and only water at the base of the tray. Use your finger to determine if the soil feels to wet or otherwise and water as needs.

Best of luck - may I ask what your growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Suggest you lift the trays so they are level with the window, and move the seed packets to 'this' side of the trays to give maximum light possible.

Advertisement