Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test woes

Options
  • 12-03-2018 12:47pm

Hi, I've done the test twice in wicklow(Sept '17,Oct '17) and once in Churchtown(March '18). Both times in Wicklow I was close to a pass; (10 grade 2s and 1 grade 3) and (11 grade 2s).

I decided to go to Churchtown for the third because I thought I should try a different centre to see if that was the problem. In Church town I got 4 grade 3s and 22 grade 2s.I had many pretests before all the tests.My instructor said I had a chance of passing after Churchtown pretest.I do not know what to do now.I am contemplating travelling across the country to a high pass centre.Please advise me.Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I do not think that travelling to different test centres makes any sense really. I would go to whichever centre is in your locality so you can practise and familiarise yourself with the general area of the routes. I presume this is Wicklow given what you have said.

What were the reasons for the grade 3 marks in Churchtown? Something must have gone very wrong on that test to get so many faults. Even outside of the grade 3 faults, that's a lot of 2's to pick up. Perhaps nerves and not being too familiar with the location were at play here?

I just wouldn't get too hung up on the statistics of pass/fail rates. It's adding a layer of stress to an already stressful situation. You would have to spend considerable time in the new area of the next test centre you chose. You would most likely book a number of lessons with a new instructor that covers the area, and you would still have a test that covers the exact same things at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Maybe try few more lessons and pre tests but might be good idea to ask could another instructor sit in to make it very close to reality of the test.

Practice is best thing and stick to where you know unless very confident.

Best of luck next time.

Thanks for the quick response.Yeah Wicklow is my closest centre.The grade 3s; 3 where observation(2 changing lanes,turning right) and 1 at traffic lights. Yeah I wasn't as familiar with Churchtown as I was with Wicklow. It was a 10 o clock test so he brought me way out of Churchtown.I didn't think I was that nervous. I don't mind getting marked down when I make mistakes because that is how you learn. But I really thought I was making lots of observations.I was shocked at the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... But I really thought I was making lots of observations.I was shocked at the result.
    Were you processing what you observed. Some people go through the motions of 'observing' to satisfy the tester but don't actually take the appropriate action which may be required.

Yes, I was processing what I observed. He said I didn't take any observations turning left and moving off.I did take observations in both cases and I acted on the fact there was no traffic and then drove on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes, I was processing what I observed. He said I didn't take any observations turning left and moving off.I did take observations in both cases and I acted on the fact there was no traffic and then drove on.

Yes but you still need to look and over shoulder etc.

I did the blind spots and three mirror checks.I did the same range of checks as I did in Wicklow and I got no marks for them there.I agree with some of the faults(even 1 of the grade 3s not turning in a filter box on red) but I know I didn't make the amount on the result sheet.Driving examiners/centres are like referees.I made that grade 3 5 mins into the test so I guess he thought what the hell, lets just go tap happy on the ipod.

I'm not refuting whether it was a pass or fail. I know I committed a grade 3 so it was a fail. I'm refuting the fact he fabricated some of the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP, we really can't say what did or didn't happen on your test. But I would say that all you can do is take on board what areas you were marked on and improve or focus on these areas when practising. I would also bring the fail sheet with you to your next lesson so your instructor can keep an eye out on the issues marked. All you can do at this point is get back on the saddle and try again! Best of luck.

Advertisement