Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank's Valuation when buying a property: Q about how to approach it

Options
  • 12-03-2018 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all -

I'm sale agreed on an apartment in Dublin, and the time has come for the bank to send their valuer out to look at the place.

Do you have any strategic advice on this?
    e.g. The management company component of the development is informally run by the owners, and not managed by an independent management company. Should I inform the bank/valuer of this?
    Or is it a matter of course and I just inform them to go ahead with it?

Any advice on how to strategically approach it would be most appreciated.

Many thanks as always,
    Con

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

In 95% of cases they look at recently sold prices on DAFT or property price register and then if your bid isnt a million miles away they usually stick your bid down as the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Ah great -- thanks a lot for the insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If there is no formal OMC this will come out later and will probably mean the bank won't lend on the property.

This is different to having no agency involved.

I had a bank valuation done the other day and I got the feeling it was just a matter of course.

Valuer was a local estate agent, he had a quick look around, checked similar properties in the area that have sold recently on the register and then put the value down as the sale price.

Mostly, it's to make sure that if something happened and you could not pay your mortgage that you could at least sell the property again at that value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

If there is no formal OMC this will come out later and will probably mean the bank won't lend on the property.

This is different to having no agency involved.

I imagine there is a MUD company - but simply that the company is run by the owners and not serviced by a professional agency. This is not enormously uncommon in a small block. I had no mortgage difficulty at all buying an appartment in a block like that a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Hi Flan - thanks precisely the situation. Thanks for your feedback on that -- it's good to hear. Let's see what the bank says.
    Cheers,
    Con

Advertisement