Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 10KW Electric Showers in Domestic House

Options
  • 12-03-2018 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I am considering installing 2 electric showers in a domestic house. I understand the standard Electricity Supply and Fuse (60A) is too small to support 2 Electric showers simultaneously.

There is an interlocking system available. Not ideal for me...

I would like to consider increasing the electrical feed to the house. House is in a housing estate.

From the ESB application anything bigger than 16kVA is considered non-standard and there are 2 options available (20kVA & 29kVA) before 3 phase is required.

Assuming my math is correct, I would be looking to request 29kVA (126Amps).
    Is this correct?

In order to achieve this, what would ESB need to do? I assume as it is single phase, no new cables are required unless a bigger cable is required?
    New Meter? bigger fuse in fuse board? Will I pay higher monthly service charge?

Thank you.

/Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

This will be a costly process. Would you considered installing a bigger cylinder and pumping your shower feeds. Simpler and cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 24 davemc1987

Hi,

Thanks for response

Yes, that is the alternative option. The problem with that is running the pipes from the hotpress to the new ensuite shower. Its practically the other side of house and pump also needed.

You would expect this is much cheaper than the increasing the supply?

/Dave

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

davemc1987 wrote: »

Yes.
    I would also be confident that it would result in a superior showing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 davemc1987

Very good. Thanks for the input.

/Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

2011 wrote:
    Yes. I would also be confident that it would result in a superior showing experience.

100 percent agree. I have an electric shower and a power shower. Electric shower gets used in an emergency. Power shower is the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

davemc1987 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for response

/Dave

Much much cheaper and quicker and easier to organise. Come back when you get a quote from esbn and update for future reference. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

You can get what the ESB called an enhanced supply , but the cables going out to the board, the main switch etc have to be changed. I am with the rest , a pumped shower off the cylinder would be a superior shower.

Advertisement